Thread: In the bleak mid-winter Frosty wind made moan

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Default In the bleak mid-winter Frosty wind made moan

Christina Rossetti's words seem appropriate here in the Hudson Valley as the first Nor'Easter of Winter comes howling in off the Atlantic today. The blizzard is expected to start shortly dumping up to 24 inches of snow overnight accompanied by 40 mile per hour wind gusts creating "white out" conditions. There will be no shipping on the river once it begins in full force. That frost wind sure is moaning already...

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Take care, Bill.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I do hope that you manage to get a few photos Bill.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I do hope that you manage to get a few photos Bill.
    Rob.
    Hi Rob -- You asked for it -- you got it! Although during the storm looking out any window was like looking through a milk bottle -- zero visibility. I'm judging it to be about 12-14 inches of snow accumulation-- across the river got quite a bit more (up to 24 inches), so in one sense we dodged a bullet that way. The wind howled through the night thus snow drifts caused by the wind are quite a bit higher than estimated accumulations. Here are a couple from this morning around the old homestead:
    Name:  Blizzard 2.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  190.1 KB
    Name:  Blizzard 3.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  202.7 KB
    Name:  Blizzard 4.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  197.8 KB
    Name:  Blizzard 5.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  187.8 KB
    Name:  Blizzard 1.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  174.4 KB
    Last edited by Wentworth; 12-17-2020 at 10:28.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Great Bill.
    Now that is what I call real snow. I have not seen snow like that here for the best part of 30 years. I can remember having to clear the path in front of our house like that not long after we were married.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

My that looks a tad chilly, reminds me of my time in the Shetlands

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    My that looks a tad chilly, reminds me of my time in the Shetlands
    Ah 'tis simply life in the Hudson Highlands......and we didn't get the full amount forecast for us -- some areas got up to 3 feet of snow from this Nor'Easter:

https://www.aol.com/news/storm-blast...070921296.html

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Makes me feel cold just looking at those photos. I think the storm you got, hit us last Saturday? We went from no snow to 7+ inches!? And it was wet heavy stuff too!
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Makes me feel cold just looking at those photos. I think the storm you got, hit us last Saturday? We went from no snow to 7+ inches!? And it was wet heavy stuff too!
    I think it is -- it ran up the coast in the South, then out into the Atlantic to pick up even more moisture and circled back in to the Northeast to really hit us hard.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
    I think it is -- it ran up the coast in the South, then out into the Atlantic to pick up even more moisture and circled back in to the Northeast to really hit us hard.
    I forgot to ask you if that one bridge is a railroad bridge? I'm also a model railroader and big fan of the eastern railways, New York Central, Baltimore and Ohio and Pennsylvania, etc.

Well, I think I answered my own question? Looks like the Poughkeepsie Bridge/Walkway, which once was a railroad bridge, but is now a walkway across the Hudson River. Nice shot!

You might enjoy this video from YouTube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEh4MbGmAXU
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 12-17-2020 at 15:32.
    –English Proverb

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

In total contrast I just spent a few days down on the tip of our Yorke Peninsula at a place called Marion Bay playing with my grand kids. It was too hot on the first day and quite nice on the next two. I got sun burned feet from just walking in the water along the beach. Our Christmas Day is usually a barbecue and family get together around the pool.

Name:  PC140044 (2).JPG
Views: 140
Size:  104.2 KB

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    I forgot to ask you if that one bridge is a railroad bridge? I'm also a model railroader and big fan of the eastern railways, New York Central, Baltimore and Ohio and Pennsylvania, etc.

Well, I think I answered my own question? Looks like the Poughkeepsie Bridge/Walkway, which once was a railroad bridge, but is now a walkway across the Hudson River. Nice shot!

You might enjoy this video from YouTube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEh4MbGmAXU
    Hi and THANK YOU for that YouTube -- I hadn't seen it before. Yes it was a 19th century railroad bridge made with steel manufactured by Andrew Carnegie's steel company. It is now a "vertical park" called the Walkway Over the Hudson. The views from up there of the Hudson Valley are quite beautiful (especially in the fall). The other bridge featured early in the video is the Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt Mid-Hudson Bridge. It was a WPA (Works Progress Administration) project aimed at trying to remedy the massive unemployment of the Great Depression. As you probably know, WPA projects all over the country during the 1930's improved the country's infrastructure while providing work for the unemployed. I live half way between the two spans. The other two bridges in the video are the Bear Mountain Bridge (about 45 minutes south of my place) which spans the Hudson near the U.S. Military Academy at West Point. A train tunnel runs under the bridge approach at the East end. The more modern bridge in the video is the Mario Cuomo Bridge recently built to replace the Tappan Zee Bridge (seen alongside the new structure and since then deconstructed). The Tappan Zee is one of the widest parts of the Hudson River -- when Hendrik Hudson sailed into it on his exploration he thought he had discovered an inland sea that would lead him to China -- boy was he wrong.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    In total contrast I just spent a few days down on the tip of our Yorke Peninsula at a place called Marion Bay playing with my grand kids. It was too hot on the first day and quite nice on the next two. I got sun burned feet from just walking in the water along the beach. Our Christmas Day is usually a barbecue and family get together around the pool.

Name:  PC140044 (2).JPG
Views: 140
Size:  104.2 KB
    With the seasons reversed for both of us, please tell me -- when I am getting a sun burn in August will you be shivering ???

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Hi and THANK YOU for that YouTube -- I hadn't seen it before. Yes it was a 19th century railroad bridge made with steel manufactured by Andrew Carnegie's steel company. It is now a "vertical park" called the Walkway Over the Hudson. The views from up there of the Hudson Valley are quite beautiful (especially in the fall). The other bridge featured early in the video is the Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt Mid-Hudson Bridge. It was a WPA (Works Progress Administration) project aimed at trying to remedy the massive unemployment of the Great Depression. As you probably know, WPA projects all over the country during the 1930's improved the country's infrastructure while providing work for the unemployed. I live half way between the two spans. The other two bridges in the video are the Bear Mountain Bridge (about 45 minutes south of my place) which spans the Hudson near the U.S. Military Academy at West Point. A train tunnel runs under the bridge approach at the East end. The more modern bridge in the video is the Mario Cuomo Bridge recently built to replace the Tappan Zee Bridge (seen alongside the new structure and since then deconstructed). The Tappan Zee is one of the widest parts of the Hudson River -- when Hendrik Hudson sailed into it on his exploration he thought he had discovered an inland sea that would lead him to China -- boy was he wrong.
    Thanks for the reply and further details on the video and photos. You live in a spectacular area of the country. Awesome views!
    –English Proverb

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

With the seasons reversed for both of us, please tell me -- when I am getting a sun burn in August will you be shivering ???
    Well I guess we would consider August cold at 50f low to 61f high on average. NOTHING like your winter.