Thread: Pulling Chits for Damage is Fun....Pulling Chits other than for damage is painful

Landsman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Default Pulling Chits for Damage is Fun....Pulling Chits other than for damage is painful

The subject line pretty much sums up my opinion on pulling chits for un-entangling, for weather changes and anything else I can't think of right now that is not damage.

To clarify - love the game. I am new but its so challenging to line up the wind with a chance to get a broadside off, then find that my guns were not loaded. Love it.

I love the excitement of grabbing 4 chits and hoping as I turn each over that its a "0" . As a self confessed noobie, I feel the chit system for all other functions needs to be replaced with a nice throw of dice.

Like weather and wind changes. I already have a good thought on how to simulate the potential for weather changes using dice but I need to play it out a few more times to see.

Any thoughts on my perspective. Has anyone else worked out a viable system?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A lot of us do use dice for weather and wind changes Chris.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Here's my solution for Wind Speed and Direction:

https://www.sailsofglory.org/entry.p...d-Winds-Speeds

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

In reviewing my post, I noticed some editing errors on the instruction sheet. These have now been corrected.

Best way is to count the chits, determine the percentage of results and press it in a D6 dice.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

These are the dice which I use.
    Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Landsman
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Name
    Johan

I use a deck of cards. If I draw a

Jack, the wind decreases one step
    Queen, the wind increases one step
    black King, the wind turns one point clockwise
    red King, the wind turns one point anticlockwise
    Joker, I reshuffle the deck
    anything else, the wind stays the same

This produces almost exactly the same probabilities as drawing chits.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Firstly, it is great to see you back in the Anchorage after your long voyage Johan.
    And to return with such a clean and simple method for the weather is a bonus.
    I hope you will have a good New Year, and thank you for posting this answer to Chris's question.
    Rob.

Landsman
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Name
    Johan

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Firstly, it is great to see you back in the Anchorage after your long voyage Johan.
    And to return with such a clean and simple method for the weather is a bonus.
    I hope you will have a good New Year, and thank you for posting this answer to Chris's question.
    Rob.
    Thankee, Rob. I have dipped in occasionally to read, but I guess it's been a reeeaaally long time since I logged in.

A happy New Year to you too, and to all shipmates here!