United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Default At My Weekend Place....

Name:  Mills.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  166.2 KB

OK, not really MY weekend place....it is the Ogden Mills mansion decked out for Christmas. Not far from my place-- the surrounding 600 acres is one of my dog walking venues. Before COVID the mansion would be decorated for the season inside as well and opened for public viewing -- not this year. The MIlls were Victorian grandees in the Hudson River Valley whose daughter married the Earl of Granard and became the Countess Granard back then.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

That is a nice looking mansion, Bill. Does it have a naval connection?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A great place for walking Bill. Do you have any shots of the grounds?
    The only place like that we have near to us is Wollaton Hall, which is about four miles from where I live.It was the one time home of Admiral Rodney.

Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    That is a nice looking mansion, Bill. Does it have a naval connection?
    Actually, yes -- it sits on a hill overlooking a bay of the Hudson River -- on the opposite bank just North of here is Kingston, NY. Kingston was the capital of New York colony. The Royal Navy anchored ships in and around this area during the RN raid that sacked and burned the city of Kingston in October 1777. Here's some more information on this:

http://www.burningofkingston.com/history.html

ALSO -- here are four contemporary after action reports (scroll to read them all) on the raid up the Hudson River including the capture of Fort Montgomery (at West Point just South of my location), the burning of Kingston, and the brief naval action off Roundout Creek (which flows into the Hudson River near Kingston):

http://www.revwar75.com/battles/prim...ports.htm#news
    Last edited by Wentworth; 12-07-2020 at 08:10.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That was another very interesting jaunt down memory lane Bill.
    I came across this old slide taken at the World championships at Derby many moons ago in the days when slide photography was all the rage. Sorry about the standard, but it is the Marines attacking the redoubt on Breed's Hill.
    Rob.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    A great place for walking Bill. Do you have any shots of the grounds?
    The only place like that we have near to us is Wollaton Hall, which is about four miles from where I live.It was the one time home of Admiral Rodney.

Rob.
    Hi Rob,
    We are in the early throes of winter here (29F this morning) so pictures of the grounds now will be unflatteringly brown and barren. However, here are some links to websites of the places nearby me where I go often to walk. The images and media on the links should give you an idea of what the grounds and interiors look like.

Ogden Mills "Staatsburgh" (scroll down to see images of grounds):
    https://millsfriends.org/

Frederick Church (Hudson Valley School painter) "Olana":
    https://www.olana.org/

Vanderbilt Mansion:
    https://www.nps.gov/vama/learn/photo...edia/index.htm

The Vanderbilt property has quite lovely multi-layer formal gardens that are a joy in the spring/summer. Incidentally, the Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt National Historic park (almost contiguous) has lovely gardens as well -- we walk our pooch on that property quite often too.
    Bill

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for that glimpse of the countryside and the grand houses around your neck of the woods. It is spectacular.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Thanks for that glimpse of the countryside and the grand houses around your neck of the woods. It is spectacular.
    Rob.
    If you and Mrs. B ever find yourselves on this side of the pond I would be most happy to be your tour guide. (BTW -- the US Military Academy at West Point is about 45 minutes south of me and has a REALLY cool military museum with multiple dioramas of hundreds of miniatures in each).

https://history.army.mil/museums/IMC...int/index.html
    Bill

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

That was another very interesting jaunt down memory lane Bill.
    I came across this old slide taken at the World championships at Derby many moons ago in the days when slide photography was all the rage. Sorry about the standard, but it is the Marines attacking the redoubt on Breed's Hill.
    Rob.

This looks terrific! Wish I could have played in that game! Back during the Bi-Centennial of the American Revolution I played in a 2 year AWI campaign game at the Compleat Strategist in New York City (I was on the British side, of course). We used the Avalon Hill 1776 board game as the strategic map and moved battles to the table using 25mm figures. We determined the terrain in any particular hex by consulting period maps in various AWI Atlases published at the time and took further guidance from several books on running wargame campaigns. We met twice per month -- once for strategic map movements and a second time to fight out the battles from the map movement. In the Bunker Hill game, I had the Light Infantry on the beach and ran into Colonial rifles behind hastily constructed cover -- VERY tough going. Ultimately the Colonial forces inside the earthworks ran out of ammo and the objective was successfully stormed -- much like in actual history. We (the British side) won almost every battle on the miniatures board over the 2 year game, but the country was so vast that we just didn't have the troops to compete everywhere and ultimately lost the war (sound familiar?). Because the game was 45 years ago I don't have any photos for you. Sorry.
    Last edited by Wentworth; 12-08-2020 at 13:06.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very kind of you Bill. I will certainly bear that magnanimous offer in mind. I will try and find anything else I have on AWI. I know I have Eutaw Springs somewhere about.
    Rob.