Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's on Your Workbench for December 2020

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

The last two days have been spent on sails and running rigging. Needless to say mistakes were made and I'm going to have to join some of the Warlord fans who are not fond of the white metal masts. They are far too bendable and easily moved out of position when applying rigging. Tomorrow I'm going to spend time trying to correct the slack lines (specifically the jib sails), finish up the mizzen rigging and applying a significant amount of touch up paint. Cheers.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 12-15-2020 at 18:45. Reason: typo
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Dunno if it counts, but it IS a ship... the Lego Ideas re-imagining of a ship I missed out on 30 years ago as a kid, the Black Seas Barracuda.
    Yesteryear's classic:

https://brickset.com/sets/6285-1/Black-Seas-Barracuda

Today's "Bigger & Better":

https://brickset.com/sets/21322-1/Pi...-Barracuda-Bay

The high sterncastle is rather archaic, but with a deck length in around the 80' range it's a pretty good representation of a small 10-12-gun brig other than needing more guns and ports.

The hard decision is since I don't have room for it here in the studio, do I build it up then knock it down and box it up, or just haul it out to my storage locker still sealed?
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Dunno if it counts, but it IS a ship... the Lego Ideas re-imagining of a ship I missed out on 30 years ago as a kid, the Black Seas Barracuda.

The high sterncastle is rather archaic, but with a deck length in around the 80' range it's a pretty good representation of a small 10-12-gun brig other than needing more guns and ports.

The hard decision is since I don't have room for it here in the studio, do I build it up then knock it down and box it up, or just haul it out to my storage locker still sealed?
    Just get it and enjoy the fun of assembly. I have this kit waiting in the wings as well. It got very good reviews because you can do the ship or the ship/island combo.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Every day,in every way, the ship is getting better and better Jim.

As far as DB's Lego ship goes, just build and be damned says I. Arr!
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 12-16-2020 at 12:42.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

How good those boats look. Rigging of 10/10

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Every day,in every way, the ship is getting better and better Jim.
    As far as Vol's Lego ship goes, just build and be damned says I. Arr!
    Rob.
    Vol's Lego ship???

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I think our friend from HMS Bounty meant MY Lego ship. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sorry DB I have rephrased it.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    The last two days have been spent on sails and running rigging. Needless to say mistakes were made and I'm going to have to join some of the Warlord fans who are not fond of the white metal masts. They are far too bendable and easily moved out of position when applying rigging. Tomorrow I'm going to spend time trying to correct the slack lines (specifically the jib sails), finish up the mizzen rigging and applying a significant amount of touch up paint. Cheers.
    Nice! I already warned Gabrio a year ago that those masts were going to be a headache, anyway, good job Jim.

Another good friend, Peter Lowe from the Dorsett area, gifted me a pack of FDM printed ships. The wife brought home the surprise package from Pete on Monday. It contained ancient triremes, Napoleonic vessels, and several WWII ships.
    Apparently Peter felt I wasn't posting enough on my blog so I must not have enough to work on, LOL!
    BTW, Pete was our shipmate Rory's best mate.
    Name:  20201215_175030.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  157.3 KB
    Name:  20201215_175046.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  98.9 KB
    Name:  20201215_182747.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  127.3 KB

Then last night another generous Queen's subject, Dillwyn Evans, offered to send me four of Simon Mann's 1/1200 ship hulls. He said he won nine ships in a promotion Simon was holding and only planned to build three. So of course I said thank you very much!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    Nice! I already warned Gabrio a year ago that those masts were going to be a headache, anyway, good job Jim.
    Yes, I won't be racing to use those metal masts again, but unless they change the metal used it's what we've got. I suppose the other option is to look on Shapeway to see about 3D printed masts or just use the 3rd rate plastic masts.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Another good friend, Peter Lowe from the Dorsett area, gifted me a pack of FDM printed ships. The wife brought home the surprise package from Pete on Monday. It contained ancient triremes, Napoleonic vessels, and several WWII ships.
    Apparently Peter felt I wasn't posting enough on my blog so I must not have enough to work on, LOL!
    BTW, Pete was our shipmate Rory's best mate.

Then last night another generous Queen's subject, Dillwyn Evans, offered to send me four of Simon Mann's 1/1200 ship hulls. He said he won nine ships in a promotion Simon was holding and only planned to build three. So of course I said thank you very much!
    You're going to be busy for quite some time from the looks of it!?
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

What a windfall Vol.
    I wonder if Santa will bring me anything like that?
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Finished up l'Orient last night. It's taken over a year to do so, but now I can move on to something else. For some 'scale' fun I pulled out a 1/700 Tamiya waterline Iowa class battleship I built in high school for comparison. Knowing scales can be so variable it's difficult to say how accurate comparing the size of l'Orient to USS Iowa actually is? More interesting is the crew sizes. l'Orient is listed at 1,119 and the Iowa class ships carried 2,700 crew and officers (in WW2). As I have Warlord's Santisima Trinidad that might be my next build, but I also have a nice collection of the US Navy ships from Warlord. I might have to kit bash a USS Independence or USS Ohio in 1/700, but that will likely annoy the purists.
    –English Proverb

Finished up l'Orient last night. It's taken over a year to do so, but now I can move on to something else. For some 'scale' fun I pulled out a 1/700 Tamiya waterline Iowa class battleship I built in high school for comparison. Knowing scales can be so variable it's difficult to say how accurate comparing the size of l'Orient to USS Iowa actually is? More interesting is the crew sizes. l'Orient is listed at 1,119 and the Iowa class ships carried 2,700 crew and officers (in WW2). As I have Warlord's Santisima Trinidad that might be my next build, but I also have a nice collection of the US Navy ships from Warlord. I might have to kit bash a USS Independence or USS Ohio in 1/700, but that will likely annoy the purists.
    Wow! You still have models you built in High School? Now that is an impressive bit of hoarding! Wish I still had some of the ships I built back then, many you can't get anymore.

Absolutely gorgeous ship Jim. I love the detail you've added, the quarter davits with boats, the anchor ropes......just beautiful.
    Don't worry about ticking off any "purist" with kit bashing these Warlord ships. Everyone is cutting them up to make different configurations. I have seen 50's, 64's, 80's, 90's, sloops, you name it. If it can be thought of then someone is doing it.
    Regards,
    Vol

None of these FDM printed sail ships had lanterns, so I tried an idea I had in a dream last night. Not exactly a dream, but that in and out time between wake and sleep. Anyway I turned three lanterns from .040" styrene rod stock using my Dremel and a needle file. Not perfect but I think they look a bit better than the PVA lanterns I used on HMS Captain.

Name:  20201217_145420.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  126.1 KB
    Name:  20201217_145712.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  139.8 KB

And painted

Name:  20201217_150953.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  136.7 KB
    Name:  20201217_151129.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  149.5 KB

Oh, and I used glow in the dark yellow I borrowed from my daughter. We'll see how that works out, haha.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Wow! You still have models you built in High School? Now that is an impressive bit of hoarding! Wish I still had some of the ships I built back then, many you can't get anymore.

Absolutely gorgeous ship Jim. I love the detail you've added, the quarter davits with boats, the anchor ropes......just beautiful.
    Don't worry about ticking off any "purist" with kit bashing these Warlord ships. Everyone is cutting them up to make different configurations. I have seen 50's, 64's, 80's, 90's, sloops, you name it. If it can be thought of then someone is doing it.
    Regards,
    Vol
    Thanks Vol (and thank you for the rep). Oh boy, I had almost the entire US and Japanese major ships in my 'fleet', but trashed them when I moved to Madison. They'd been in storage at my Mom's for years, but she wanted them out so without any room where I lived at the time they went into land fill. I still regret the loss, but I kept USS Iowa and the Bismarck.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

None of these FDM printed sail ships had lanterns, so I tried an idea I had in a dream last night. Not exactly a dream, but that in and out time between wake and sleep. Anyway I turned three lanterns from .040" styrene rod stock using my Dremel and a needle file. Not perfect but I think they look a bit better than the PVA lanterns I used on HMS Captain.

And painted

Oh, and I used glow in the dark yellow I borrowed from my daughter. We'll see how that works out, haha.
    Now that's some creativity! Very cool!! Glow in the dark paint, eh? Sounds like something that might look good on the Flying Dutchman or other ghost ship?!
    –English Proverb

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Ooh, GID lanterns and windows suggest a fun new scenario... Night Action. Turn the lights out...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

More done tonight on this ship.
    San Juan Nepomuceno I think
    Name:  20201217_204804.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  113.9 KB
    Name:  20201217_204821.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  128.4 KB
    Name:  20201217_205415.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  103.6 KB

Thanks Vol (and thank you for the rep). Oh boy, I had almost the entire US and Japanese major ships in my 'fleet', but trashed them when I moved to Madison. They'd been in storage at my Mom's for years, but she wanted them out so without any room where I lived at the time they went into land fill. I still regret the loss, but I kept USS Iowa and the Bismarck.
    Ah yes nostalgic modeling. Actually I built the same ships more than once. My dad started me off quite early. At one point I had so many ships and planes my mother went berserk and ordered my dad to get rid of them. Well he wouldn't just toss them so he made it into one of the fondest memories I have. I had all the ships from Pearl Harbor so he had an idea.
    We had one of those Montgomery Ward free standing pools in the back about 16' across. He had me find the arial of Pearl in our World Book Encyclopedia and he built the harbor out of scrap plywood. Then he floated it in the pool. Then we went to get the models, but they wouldn't float right. Back to the shop and drill a small hole in each deck then pour sand into the hull with a funnel until they floated at water line. Then he told me to go get my firecracker stash. What? He knew I had one? Then we got all of my planes. He grabbed all of my mom's sewing spools, cut the thread off with his pocket knife. Then he got out his tackle box and attached a short line with lead weight to every spool then shoved a firecracker into the hole and sealed both ends and the fuse with wax from a burning candle. They floated with just the top showing, mines!
    About this time I think I started realizing what was going to happen next. And boy was I right! We ended up blowing up every ship and plane. We dropped bombs from the planes onto the ships and watched them explode. We simulated torpedo strikes with the mines. The wood shrapnel from the spools hulled the ships quite effectively and when the sand got wet the ship sank perfectly, bow or stern first. At one point he poured a little lighter fluid on one of the ships so it caught fire when the firecracker ignited. But the smoke and smell was so bad we didn't do that again. The planes were a different deal. Dad hung them from the end of a fishing pole wth a fire cracker attached to the fusilage or wing or tail with a rubber band. I would light it and he would cast it across the yard while it blew up in mid air. Fabulous! Then when all of the ships and planes were destroyed we went to get all of the tanks and armored cars. They went to the sandbox to be destroyed! Now before anyone points out this was a dangerous enterprise, you are correct. But Dad and I both had goggles on and life vests. And I don't recall either one of us getting hit with anything. After a long day of destruction and the cleanup after, my loss sunk in and I began to cry. But Dad just handed me a $20, a lot of money back then and good for several models, so I perked up. Mom wasn't too happy about her sewing thread being tossed, but she got what she wanted, and Dad probably gave her a $20 as well. One of my most cherished memories. Sorry for the long story but I enjoyed the rembering and the telling.
    Last edited by Volunteer; 12-17-2020 at 22:55.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Making me feel like I'm not pulling my weight here.
    Not touched a model this month, and I have an Orient waiting in the wings to give my on fire treatment to, plus another Sloop to give the Bomb Ketch makeover. Christmas! Ba humbug.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Your story brought back a memory to me Vol.

Where my Granddad worked his boss had twin boys who were getting rid of all their Airfix aircraft. My Granddad got them to let him have them for me. Amongst the models were a lot that had been junked because of damage. I rigged up a wire line from my bedroom window down to the clothes line post in the end of the garden. We then fixed a wire hook to the top of each plane, stuffed them with cotton wool soaked in lighter fuel and sent them off down the wire after touching a match to the cotton wool. We had great fun until one friend had the bright idea of putting a fire cracker in front of the cotton wool. Off went the plane and about half way down it stuck to the wire in some way. Then the bang came and was very spectacular, showering flaming melted plastic all over the garden. I was not very popular with my parents for several weeks. Also the supply of aircraft from my Granddad seemed to mysteriously dry up.

Next episode will be the Dams raid!
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Ah yes nostalgic modeling. Actually I built the same ships more than once. My dad started me off quite early. At one point I had so many ships and planes my mother went berserk and ordered my dad to get rid of them. Well he wouldn't just toss them so he made it into one of the fondest memories I have. I had all the ships from Pearl Harbor so he had an idea.
    We had one of those Montgomery Ward free standing pools in the back about 16' across. He had me find the arial of Pearl in our World Book Encyclopedia and he built the harbor out of scrap plywood. Then he floated it in the pool. Then we went to get the models, but they wouldn't float right. Back to the shop and drill a small hole in each deck then pour sand into the hull with a funnel until they floated at water line. Then he told me to go get my firecracker stash. What? He knew I had one? Then we got all of my planes. He grabbed all of my mom's sewing spools, cut the thread off with his pocket knife. Then he got out his tackle box and attached a short line with lead weight to every spool then shoved a firecracker into the hole and sealed both ends and the fuse with wax from a burning candle. They floated with just the top showing, mines!
    About this time I think I started realizing what was going to happen next. And boy was I right! We ended up blowing up every ship and plane. We dropped bombs from the planes onto the ships and watched them explode. We simulated torpedo strikes with the mines. The wood shrapnel from the spools hulled the ships quite effectively and when the sand got wet the ship sank perfectly, bow or stern first. At one point he poured a little lighter fluid on one of the ships so it caught fire when the firecracker ignited. But the smoke and smell was so bad we didn't do that again. The planes were a different deal. Dad hung them from the end of a fishing pole wth a fire cracker attached to the fusilage or wing or tail with a rubber band. I would light it and he would cast it across the yard while it blew up in mid air. Fabulous! Then when all of the ships and planes were destroyed we went to get all of the tanks and armored cars. They went to the sandbox to be destroyed! Now before anyone points out this was a dangerous enterprise, you are correct. But Dad and I both had goggles on and life vests. And I don't recall either one of us getting hit with anything. After a long day of destruction and the cleanup after, my loss sunk in and I began to cry. But Dad just handed me a $20, a lot of money back then and good for several models, so I perked up. Mom wasn't too happy about her sewing thread being tossed, but she got what she wanted, and Dad probably gave her a $20 as well. One of my most cherished memories. Sorry for the long story but I enjoyed the rembering and the telling.
    What a great memory story. I can almost visualize the chaos and destruction. Probably a lead up for the movie, Tora, tora, tora?
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Making me feel like I'm not pulling my weight here.
    Not touched a model this month, and I have an Orient waiting in the wings to give my on fire treatment to, plus another Sloop to give the Bomb Ketch makeover. Christmas! Ba humbug.
    Rob.
    Waiting and watching for whatever you tackle. :)

I just ordered Warlords version of the USS Essex so we'll see if that's next on my 'to do' list.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Where my Granddad worked his boss had twin boys who were getting rid of all their Airfix aircraft. My Granddad got them to let him have them for me. Amongst the models were a lot that had been junked because of damage. I rigged up a wire line from my bedroom window down to the clothes line post in the end of the garden. We then fixed a wire hook to the top of each plane, stuffed them with cotton wool soaked in lighter fuel and sent them off down the wire after touching a match to the cotton wool. We had great fun until one friend had the bright idea of putting a fire cracker in front of the cotton wool. Off went the plane and about half way down it stuck to the wire in some way. Then the bang came and was very spectacular, showering flaming melted plastic all over the garden. I was not very popular with my parents for several weeks. Also the supply of aircraft from my Granddad seemed to mysteriously dry up.

Rob.
    More tales of model destruction! lol. I can't match Vol or your stories, but I do remember my brother destroying his model cars with fire from plastic model glue!? I won't even think about him breathing the fumes from said destruction!?!
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I just ordered Warlords version of the USS Essex so we'll see if that's next on my 'to do' list.
    And I look forward to seeing that one too Jim.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 12-19-2020 at 01:04.

What a great memory story. I can almost visualize the chaos and destruction. Probably a lead up for the movie, Tora, tora, tora?
    One of my favorire all time movies!

Did I not say my childhood was filled with chaos and destruction? I ALWAYS had a firecracker stash, roman candles, sparklers, etc. not to mention my dad reloaded ammo so I had access to powder as well. We had some great times out in the desert.
    Last edited by Volunteer; 12-18-2020 at 16:15.

I got the masts done tonight. I'll trim them up and prime tomorrow.
    Name:  20201218_205634.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  106.6 KB
    And the sails drawn out
    Name:  20201218_210046.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  145.6 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

What thickness of Plasticard are you using Vol? From the picture it looks a git thinner than the one which I am using.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

One of my favorire all time movies!

Did I not say my childhood was filled with chaos and destruction? I ALWAYS had a firecracker stash, roman candles, sparklers, etc. not to mention my dad reloaded ammo so I had access to powder as well. We had some great times out in the desert.
    Tora, tora, tora was one of my favorite movies as well. Still haven't seen Midway, but the special effects in the trailers looked good?
    –English Proverb

What thickness of Plasticard are you using Vol? From the picture it looks a git thinner than the one which I am using.
    Rob.
    I am using an old plastic Visa credit card for the tops Rob, and a thinner old plastic medical insurance card for the upper thingy on the lower mast/top mast joint. I never thow away any old plastic cards away, they come in usefull for soooo many things! Haha

Tora, tora, tora was one of my favorite movies as well. Still haven't seen Midway, but the special effects in the trailers looked good?
    I love the original 1976 Midway done six years after Tora Tora Tora. I saw the new 2019 Midway as well and it was good too, but still lacking something. 1976 Midway is better, hands down IMO

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Nice call Vol. I have been using my old credit cards for spreading PVA and other glues. Now I have a better use for them.
    Rob.

Not much to report today. I cut all of the spars and primed them and the finshed masts. I cut out all of the sails and glued them to marker pens for shaping. I made the ship's boats and painted them per the Spanish admiralty regulation colors. I also made a few minor paint changes to fall more in line with those same regulations. It is amazing how much time goes by when you are fiddling, reading and thinking in the shipyard!

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Pics tomorrow, but build underway on that Lego ship--a Christmas present for my ten-year-old self that arrived thirty years late. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

USS Essex from Warlord arrived yesterday. I will try to get some photos of the kit items up later today? Also started another ship for fun, but not what I'd call factual or prototypical.

Anxious to see DB's Lego ship photos and the continued work on Vol's San Juan Nepomuceno!
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I will also be interested to see your Essex, as well as the progress being made on the other ships.
    Rob.

Rob.
    Wow Rob! Very cool story. I never thought of doing a zipline as a kid. Great idea! I may try that now!

USS Essex from Warlord arrived yesterday. I will try to get some photos of the kit items up later today? Also started another ship for fun, but not what I'd call factual or prototypical.

Anxious to see DB's Lego ship photos and the continued work on Vol's San Juan Nepomuceno!
    Metal masts like the last one Jim?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I will also be interested to see your Essex, as well as the progress being made on the other ships.
    Rob.
    Metal masts like the last one Jim?
    Photos will go up shortly. The masts are metal, but seem slightly less bendable than on the 1st rates. That might be just the sizes involved rather than the manufacturing quality of metal used?
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

As promised here are some views of the USS Essex from Warlord Games as well as some shots of their USS Constitution side by side with USS Essex.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Jim.
    A very comprehensive rundown of the detail and parts.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Thinking I better stop here... haven't built any of the island, only the ship sections, and this is already gonna be a pain to get back into the box.
    Name:  20201220_194855.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  188.7 KB
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looking good thus far DB. Maybe you are right about the island though. May be better left for later.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Thinking I better stop here... haven't built any of the island, only the ship sections, and this is already gonna be a pain to get back into the box.
    Name:  20201220_194855.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  188.7 KB
    She looks great and is much larger than I'd imagined. Thanks for posting the photo!
    –English Proverb

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quite welcome--she's about two feet long from jib tip to poop-cabin rear point. My inner child is smiling... :)

Now if only they'd bring back the rest of the line so I could replace my old collection...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

As promised here are some views of the USS Essex from Warlord Games as well as some shots of their USS Constitution side by side with USS Essex.
    Huh, no quarter davits at all? I see the stern davits and boat for Constitution. So far the only US ship from Warlord with quarter davit and boats is the United States with which they don't fit due to the elevated poop/pilot house. They do fit well though on the President, which did not come with them.
    Every depiction I have ever seen of American frigates shows quarter and stern davits for boat storage.

They are nicely detailed hulls though aren't they!

I was able to put a little more time in on this Spanish ship today. I tried something different. Normally I mount the spar to the mast, then tie on the sail, one at a time. This time I have tied the sails to all of the spars first. I'll see if they go on easier as units. This is sort of the way I do the smaller scales, but with them I glue the sails to the spars.

Name:  20201221_173127.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  98.8 KB
    Name:  20201221_173325.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  104.6 KB
    Name:  20201221_212129.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  101.0 KB
    Last edited by Volunteer; 12-21-2020 at 23:42.