Thread: What's on Your Workbench for December 2020

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

An interesting variation Vol. I have to apply my sails last because I solder my spars to the masts, so It will be interesting to discover how your new method of attack works.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Huh, no quarter davits at all? I see the stern davits and boat for Constitution. So far the only US ship from Warlord with quarter davit and boats is the United States with which they don't fit due to the elevated poop/pilot house. They do fit well though on the President, which did not come with them.
    Every depiction I have ever seen of American frigates shows quarter and stern davits for boat storage.

They are nicely detailed hulls though aren't they!
    For what it's worth I've not seen any sign of quarter davits for Essex in any model, drawing or painting I've come across? Were these typically added later as needed and not part of the original plans? My knowledge of ship history and engineering is pretty limited so I can't offer more than that?
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    For what it's worth I've not seen any sign of quarter davits for Essex in any model, drawing or painting I've come across? Were these typically added later as needed and not part of the original plans? My knowledge of ship history and engineering is pretty limited so I can't offer more than that?
    Jim, I stand corrected! You are absolutely right and I was wrong. Essex only had stern davits. The original six frigates Constitution, President, United States, Constellation, Congress and Chesapeak had them. Thank you for setting me straight.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well timed gents. I was just about to change my Essex and add davits and a couple of my Langton small boats.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Jim, I stand corrected! You are absolutely right and I was wrong. Essex only had stern davits. The original six frigates Constitution, President, United States, Constellation, Congress and Chesapeak had them. Thank you for setting me straight.
    To be honest, Vol I was figuring you were right and I just hadn't seen the best photos or visual representations. As a good example I just found this plan for the USS Pennsylvania from and there are no quarter or stern davits represented, but they are added on models and Currier Ives prints and maybe on the ship by 1837?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    –English Proverb

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Are davits ever on design/build plans, or are they installed ad-hoc as part of fitting-out?
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I think that they were a relatively new concept at the beginning of the 19th century and probably added at the taste of the commanding officer.

The technology of sailing was evolving rapidly and all kinds of new things were being tried. Diagonal braces let single deck ships be built longer. Iron knees made finding wooden ones less important (not a perfect solution). Rounded sterns would make a stern rake less painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Are davits ever on design/build plans, or are they installed ad-hoc as part of fitting-out?
    No, not to my knowledge

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Maybe Dave Manley can shed some light on this one DB.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Inspired by DB's Lego pirate ship I've started a 1/700 version of the Royal Fortune.
    –English Proverb

Inspired by DB's Lego pirate ship I've started a 1/700 version of the Royal Fortune.
    Ooh I love the paint color Jim! Is that the base, what are you using?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Ensign Patch will approve of that. Might even get me interested. I wonder if Henry will do those early Dutch ships in 1000th scale?

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 12-24-2020 at 12:26.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Ooh I love the paint color Jim! Is that the base, what are you using?
    Thank, Vol. It's Vallejo Model Color "Flat Red" and I'm going to use that as the final color. I like the way stands out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Ensign Patch will approve of that. Might even get me interested. I wonder if Henry will do those early Dutch ships in 1000th scale?

Rob.
    Henry has a number of early Dutch ships up on Wargaming 3D. The issue for anyone wanting a different scale is making the conversion from existing files and then printing. I don't have a FDM or resin printer and converting scales for printing isn't something I'd be trying anytime soon. I'd ask Henry and see what he says?

https://www.wargaming3d.com/product/...-80-guns-1663/
    –English Proverb

What with the Holidays and family responsibilities I haven't spent much time in the shipyard the last couple of days. Here is my progress so far on the Spaniard.
    Name:  20201221_173325.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  104.6 KB
    Name:  20201221_212010.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  111.4 KB
    Name:  20201224_125834.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  113.0 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well that is 100% more than I have got done Vol. I did not even get my Cruel Seas box opened until about an hour ago. Just enough time to see how the ships accessories fit to the correct hulls.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Going to be an impressive looking ship on the table, Vol.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I finished Royal Fortune this afternoon. I tried something a bit different with the ratlines/shrouds, which might be an approach I'll use down the line? I cobbled together some of the Langton ratline sets from 3 decks and 74's to get them to fit on the 1/700 frigate. If you don't look too close it looks okay. I may also add a pennant later, but for now she's done.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks great in front of Skull Island with your Ghost ship Jim.
    I will see what I can do with that picture.

Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Looks great in front of Skull Island with your Ghost ship Jim.
    I will see what I can do with that picture.

Rob.
    Thanks Rob. I really need to finish up the island by adding a base for some sandy/rocky beach areas and some form of a pier coming out of the skull maw? :)
    –English Proverb

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

So now that I'm pledged for Henry's models including a 1765 Victory, I need some suggestions on a shade for Keppel or Kempenfelt's day... different sources say a yellow-brown or red.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

I was able to do a bit more on the sails tonight. Now I need to finish the studding sails and start the standing rigging.
    Name:  20201227_212600.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  112.7 KB

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

The detail work on your sails is incredible. The holes through the sails and on to the booms?!? I'd go crazy trying to do that!
    –English Proverb

The detail work on your sails is incredible. The holes through the sails and on to the booms?!? I'd go crazy trying to do that!
    Aw, thanks Jim. I just wish I could make the paint crisp like yours. BTW, Simon Mann informed me this FDM printed Montanes hull is one of his designs. He and I have been PM'ing and I am purchasing 3 of his ships in resin.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Aw, thanks Jim. I just wish I could make the paint crisp like yours. BTW, Simon Mann informed me this FDM printed Montanes hull is one of his designs. He and I have been PM'ing and I am purchasing 3 of his ships in resin.
    So, Simon does printing on demand? This is the big issue I have right now, no printer and no access to someone who has a quality resin printer. I have been in contact with Henry about using 3rd parties to do printing and he's amenable to it as long as they agree in writing that the intellectual content is his and that they remove/delete files once a print is made. I haven't found anyone who I can trust to follow these requirements, but I'll continuing looking.
    –English Proverb

So, Simon does printing on demand? This is the big issue I have right now, no printer and no access to someone who has a quality resin printer. I have been in contact with Henry about using 3rd parties to do printing and he's amenable to it as long as they agree in writing that the intellectual content is his and that they remove/delete files once a print is made. I haven't found anyone who I can trust to follow these requirements, but I'll continuing looking.
    1st rate hulls are Ł8.50, with combined resin masts and sails Ł11.50. 3rd/4th rates are Ł7.50, 5th/6th rate frigates are Ł5.50. Shipping is around Ł7

These are the San Ildefonso, Tonnant and Spanish San Jose
    Name:  6d4938d51179dca392de300084a2f085.0.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  176.0 KB
    Name:  1b20f378cc5630da6d4d1a3615ed540d.0.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  90.9 KB

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

1st rate hulls are Ł8.50, with combined resin masts and sails Ł11.50. 3rd/4th rates are Ł7.50, 5th/6th rate frigates are Ł5.50. Shipping is around Ł7

These are the San Ildefonso, Tonnant and Spanish San Jose
    Wow! Well that's certainly something to consider now. Thanks for the information, Vol.
    –English Proverb

Studding sails on now
    Name:  20201228_195207.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  113.6 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And superb they look Vol. You could almost say tip top if thy were skysails.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Very impressive!! That's got to go up on Facebook when you're done.
    –English Proverb

Ratlines and some more standing rigging done tonight
    Name:  20201229_212929.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  132.2 KB
    Name:  20201229_213005.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  135.3 KB

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Based on the Ares paint-maps Rob sent me, working up conversions to Vallejo paints I'll need for Henry's 3d prints; also drafting a pitch recommending that Ares look into a Licensing Partnership and give his miniatures "Official Game Accessory" status on hulls they never intend to sculpt like Nepomuceno (SGN112 is only Bahama) and Intrepid (SGN114 is Ardent).
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20201231_082549.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  141.7 KB

The first of three waves of new land is making slow progress, but I'm excited!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looking very good thus far Dobbs. It takes me back a year or so to my first attempts on the Ares terrain templates and the realization that some of the promontories would need to be mirror imaged, and trying to squeeze the extra pieces out of each sheet.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Dobbs those will look very nice one sceniced and on the table.
    –English Proverb

Nice cuts Dobbs. What are you using for bases? They look like foam core sheet?

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Thank you, gentlemen. It is foam, Vol. I use home insulation foam. I believe that's 3/4" thick. The bases are 2mm styrene from Evergreen.

It's all Bligh's fault. Here's the link to his project.

https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....on-in-sequence

Yes, Rob, I have about 14 more pieces to do. This is the largest land building project I have taken on and don't want to get overwhelmed so I'm breaking it down into waves. Just buying enough styrene set me back about $40!

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    It's all Bligh's fault. Here's the link to his project.

https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....on-in-sequence
    Ah yes, I remember that one! It was quite intimidating!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sorry shipmates! The idea of doing the How to was intended to be encouraging, not intimidating.

Maybe I should not do any more? I don't want to scare people off or bancrupt you Dobbs.

Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

With no immediate let up of the pandemic I think you should be doing more, not less, Rob. We expect to see even more in 2021?!
    –English Proverb

Sorry shipmates! The idea of doing the How to was intended to be encouraging, not intimidating.

Maybe I should not do any more? I don't want to scare people off or bancrupt you Dobbs.

Rob.
    Haha, only kidding Rob! Well not really, I am intimidated by your terrain skills because they are so far beyond my own! There I said it! I feel so much better now.

Oh, and ditto what Nightmoss said!

I know it is no longer December, but this is still on my workbench. All of the sails are on now and the standing rigging is done.
    Attachment 52127
    Attachment 52128
    Attachment 52129
    Attachment 52130
    Attachment 52131
    Name:  20210101_200826.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  112.8 KB
    Last edited by Volunteer; 01-01-2021 at 21:09.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now that is intimidating Vol!
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Haha, only kidding Rob! Well not really, I am intimidated by your terrain skills because they are so far beyond my own! .
    Many a true word is spoken in jest Vol. I am not so concerned about those of you who are taking up the challenge to do your own terrain, but that i might be putting off the beginners rather than encourage them to spread their sails and have a go.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Many a true word is spoken in jest Vol. I am not so concerned about those of you who are taking up the challenge to do your own terrain, but that i might be putting off the beginners rather than encourage them to spread their sails and have a go.
    Rob.
    I was a beginner before your posts, Rob. I had never made terrain before. Thanks to your guidance I have expanded my hobby skills.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Rob.
    Might help to put up some of the early experiments, particularly any that went sideways, so that they can see you had a Learning Curve too.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Might help to put up some of the early experiments, particularly any that went sideways, so that they can see you had a Learning Curve too.
    That would be mostly all those sinking ship markers I have then DB.
    Rob.

I love your terrain Rob! Looking at your terrain sustains me when I am having a creative block. Please don't stop! I drool over your terrain! It's not a pretty sight, trust me!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Any suggestions for anything I have not yet produced, that may enhance our naval gaming experience would be welcomed?

Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Any suggestions for anything I have not yet produced, that may enhance our naval gaming experience would be welcomed?

Rob.
    Well, seeing as there's a discussion of blinking lights in another thread have you ever modeled a working lighthouse or light beacon on a shore or fort? For that matter what about firing guns from a fort. I'd enjoy seeing something like that?
    –English Proverb

Rob.
    Just a thought
    Name:  2a0556e11db51a2c261e1f2f53b12bd5.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  92.8 KB