Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's on Your Workbench for December 2020

Default What's on Your Workbench for December 2020

Continuing with my 3D HMS Captain from November's workbench, I had to add some skid beams to mount the ship's boats on, then realized I didn't have any boats, at least any extras that is. I have the boats that came with the Black Seas third rates I haven't built yet. So I made a quick two part mold out of Sculpy and made some boats.
    Name:  20201204_170826.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  88.5 KB
    Then I built the masts
    Name:  20201204_152747.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  99.6 KB
    Then I made some furled sails for the lower courses and sprit yard
    Name:  20201204_170713.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  151.4 KB
    Last thing I accomplished was cutting out the sails and gluing them to various markers and pens. Hopefully I will be able to devote some more time to the Captain tomorrow.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Your boats and masts look superb Vol. Are the masts steel with plastic fighting tops or all metal.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

After many months of inactivity involving ship building I'm going to try and finish the Warlords l'Orient (looking back I actually think it's been over a year since I've touched a ship kit)?!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Vol, your boats and masts look great. You probably could start a business on Facebook with those masts? More than a few folks are not pleased with the Warlord white metal masts and have had to resort to using the plastic 3rd rate versions.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I quite agree Jim.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Your boats and masts look superb Vol. Are the masts steel with plastic fighting tops or all metal.
    Rob.
    Yes Rob, steel rod, but this time instead of my usual plastic credit card material, I used a heavy card stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Vol, your boats and masts look great. You probably could start a business on Facebook with those masts? More than a few folks are not pleased with the Warlord white metal masts and have had to resort to using the plastic 3rd rate versions.
    I have another problem with the plastic version masts. They cast the spars flush with the masts, rather than properly in front of the mast. And the fighting tops are too shallow for proper ratline attachment. When I use them I end up cutting away all of the spars and extend the tops.

After many months of inactivity involving ship building I'm going to try and finish the Warlords l'Orient (looking back I actually think it's been over a year since I've touched a ship kit)?!
    Ooh that's a nice paint job Jim! Wish I could paint crisp lines like that. A year huh! Well you certainly haven't lost your touch!

Sails,
    Name:  20201205_123543.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  180.2 KB
    Now dry with primed masts
    Name:  20201205_130750.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  107.4 KB
    A shot of the skid beams and new lanterns
    Name:  20201205_123650.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  134.7 KB

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Ooh that's a nice paint job Jim! Wish I could paint crisp lines like that. A year huh! Well you certainly haven't lost your touch!
    You are too kind, Vol. If you ever want to sell some of your metal masts just send me a PM. Not sure how much modeling I'll be doing, but your masts and spars outdo anything Warlords is producing!
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have another problem with the plastic version masts. They cast the spars flush with the masts, rather than properly in front of the mast. And the fighting tops are too shallow for proper ratline attachment. When I use them I end up cutting away all of the spars and extend the tops.
    I am agreeing with a lot here today Vol, that is why I silver solder my spars on to any masts I make. like the credit card idea too.
    Rob.

You are too kind, Vol. If you ever want to sell some of your metal masts just send me a PM. Not sure how much modeling I'll be doing, but your masts and spars outdo anything Warlords is producing!
    Are you building Black Seas ships now Jim? Your Orient is beautiful. I haven't tried a 1st rate yet. Did it come with plastic or metal masts? I don't have any info on the dimensions for first rate masts or spars in 1/700. I am using the same measurements I obtained from the WGBS 3rd rates for the masts, spars and sails for HMS Captain. The Black Seas 3rd rates are exactly 3" at the gun deck which equates to 175 feet at 1/700 scale, which would be an average for the common to middling 3rd rate. Though they are a bit too high for true scale. Henry's Canada class 3rd rate comes out exactly at the Captain's 172 ft and the depth is right on for the scale. But in order to sit the same table with the Warlord Games ships, I may have to raise it a bit, like I do with the Navwar ships so they can play with the Langtons.
    Oh and thank you Jim for the Rep points, much appreciated!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Are you building Black Seas ships now Jim? Your Orient is beautiful. I haven't tried a 1st rate yet. Did it come with plastic or metal masts? I don't have any info on the dimensions for first rate masts or spars in 1/700. I am using the same measurements I obtained from the WGBS 3rd rates for the masts, spars and sails for HMS Captain. The Black Seas 3rd rates are exactly 3" at the gun deck which equates to 175 feet at 1/700 scale, which would be an average for the common to middling 3rd rate. Though they are a bit too high for true scale. Henry's Canada class 3rd rate comes out exactly at the Captain's 172 ft and the depth is right on for the scale. But in order to sit the same table with the Warlord Games ships, I may have to raise it a bit, like I do with the Navwar ships so they can play with the Langtons.
    Oh and thank you Jim for the Rep points, much appreciated!
    Yes, Vol, I'm trying to catch up with the Warlord 1/700 ships I purchased last year. Warlord 1st rates come with metal fittings (masts, boats, anchors, etc.) and the hull proper is resin. The fleet boxes for French, British and Spanish include one resin 1st rate, 3 plastic frigates, 3 plastic 3rd rates and a bomb ships base. I'll try to get some photos up of the the metal masts from HMS Victory held against the 3rd plastic masts so you can see comparison shots. A big reason I moved to 1/700 is directly related to my eyes and how well I can model after the cataract surgery. 1/1000 is doable, but my days of 1/1200 ship assembly (at least for rigging) are probably over. Thanks also for the rep.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Masts for l'Orient got placed yesterday. After sufficient drying time I'll start the touch up and rigging.
    –English Proverb

Are these the metal mast/spar sets Jim? They don't appear quite so bad as the platic sets. The the spar appear to set more to the front of the masts rather than flush.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Are these the metal mast/spar sets Jim? They don't appear quite so bad as the platic sets. The the spar appear to set more to the front of the masts rather than flush.
    Yes, these are the white metal masts. They're not quite as flush as the plastic, but not as distinctively separate as Langton masts and sail sets. I'll still try to show a comparison.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Vol, I put up some comparison shots of the metal vs plastic masts from Warlords on an existing thread so as not to overload this workbench December thread. Here's the thread link:

https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...6497#post96497

While I have some 1st rate sails in brass that I may still use for l'Orient I decided to trace and cut out some brass sails from a roll of brass sheeting I had on hand. We'll see how they rough up and bend to look appropriate for the ship.
    –English Proverb

Vol, I put up some comparison shots of the metal vs plastic masts from Warlords on an existing thread so as not to overload this workbench December thread. Here's the thread link:

https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...6497#post96497

While I have some 1st rate sails in brass that I may still use for l'Orient I decided to trace and cut out some brass sails from a roll of brass sheeting I had on hand. We'll see how they rough up and bend to look appropriate for the ship.
    Those metal masts look "bendy". I'm afraid it might be difficult to keep the rigging taught with soft metal masts. I know it's difficult in 1/1200 scale.
    Gosh Jim that is ambitious. I haven't tried to make brass sails for a very long time. I came to the realization that paper sails didn't make me bleed near as much as brass LOL!

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Has anyone ever tried sheet plastic for sails and maybe a blow dryer to add draft?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Those metal masts look "bendy". I'm afraid it might be difficult to keep the rigging taught with soft metal masts. I know it's difficult in 1/1200 scale.
    Gosh Jim that is ambitious. I haven't tried to make brass sails for a very long time. I came to the realization that paper sails didn't make me bleed near as much as brass LOL!
    The white metal masts are very "bendy", which was a major complaint (and still is I think) from folks on the Black Seas pages of Facebook. It's for that reason I purchased some elastic threading that might make rigging a bit easier? I have never used stretch thread before so it remains to be seen how well this will work?

https://www.uschivdr.com/shopping-ca...g-and-various/

You're correct concerning the brass sails as I'd managed to stick myself twice with the sharp ends of the jib sails!
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Has anyone ever tried sheet plastic for sails and maybe a blow dryer to add draft?
    I never have, Dobbs. It might work, but the blow dryer may shrink the plastic before it takes on the draft shape you want?
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I use the plastic sails and roll them round a rod to form them, but have not tried using a blow dryer. Mrs Bligh has a heat bender gun which she uses on some of her fabric projects when incoorperating other materials into it. I have used it to bend perspex for flame markers but not styrene based plastics. I must try it out.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

A word of caution about elastic thread. In my experience it loses its stretch over time. In a year or two you may have slack rigging. Or maybe I bought cheap thread...

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    A word of caution about elastic thread. In my experience it loses its stretch over time. In a year or two you may have slack rigging. Or maybe I bought cheap thread...
    Sound advice for sure, but this brand of thread was anything but cheap. Having looked at it again this afternoon it might actually be too fine to use for my eyesight. Even their 'standard' size is incredibly fine!?
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Standing rigging finished after 2+ hours. Rusty hardly describes how I felt working on the rigging today. Opted for the standard thread rather than the stretch thread as my eyes had trouble even seeing this. I'm not sure I'll go with the running rigging or not? If Rory was still with us I know he'd guilt me into it. Sails and ratlines next, but it might be sometime for the ratlines as they're coming from the UK.
    –English Proverb

Standing rigging finished after 2+ hours. Rusty hardly describes how I felt working on the rigging today. Opted for the standard thread rather than the stretch thread as my eyes had trouble even seeing this. I'm not sure I'll go with the running rigging or not? If Rory was still with us I know he'd guilt me into it. Sails and ratlines next, but it might be sometime for the ratlines as they're coming from the UK.
    I'll stand in for my old friend! Come on Jim, you know it looks better wth the full rigging...maybe a stay sail or two as well!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I'll stand in for my old friend! Come on Jim, you know it looks better wth the full rigging...maybe a stay sail or two as well!
    I had this feeling you'd stand in for Rory! I'll see what I can do as I know the ratlines will be some time before arriving and getting through customs (plus it's the holidays).
    –English Proverb

I had this feeling you'd stand in for Rory! I'll see what I can do as I know the ratlines will be some time before arriving and getting through customs (plus it's the holidays).
    Why wait?

Name:  20201106_205632.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  103.8 KB
    Name:  20201107_194503.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  93.3 KB
    Name:  20201106_204838.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  141.2 KB

Just saying......

Or here's another jig design you may prefer

Name:  20180816_184801.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  22.4 KB
    Name:  20180816_203945.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  20.2 KB

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Dwarf! This was my first time trying to paint a beard, I think it's come up very well.
    Name:  firefox_zZbidzwmJj.png
Views: 576
Size:  657.0 KB
    Name:  firefox_PW9FxYoVSt.png
Views: 596
Size:  631.3 KB
    No-one expects a ship full of dwarves.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Why wait?

Name:  20201106_205632.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  103.8 KB
    Name:  20201107_194503.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  93.3 KB
    Name:  20201106_204838.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  141.2 KB

Just saying......
    I actually got the 3D print files for a ratline jig off of Wargaming 3D sometime ago, and that's as far as it went. You're way more creative and talented with your masts and ratlines than I'll ever be. I'm a lazy modeler when it comes down to it.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by McDorf View Post
    Dwarf! This was my first time trying to paint a beard, I think it's come up very well.
    Name:  firefox_zZbidzwmJj.png
Views: 576
Size:  657.0 KB
    Name:  firefox_PW9FxYoVSt.png
Views: 596
Size:  631.3 KB
    No one expects a ship full of dwarves OR the Spanish Inquisition?
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Are you building a Dwarf Army Gary?
    Rob.

HMS Captain so far

Name:  20201210_174118.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  137.7 KB

Stay sails, the rest of the rigging, then the base, flagging and she is done!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looking good Vol.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Are you building a Dwarf Army Gary?
    Rob.
    Indeed I am. I've even managed to pick up the Brewmaster-General Jakkob Bugmansson, a decedent of Josef Bugman!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You may care to cast your eyes over these then Gary.

Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

I'm very impressed, now that's a dwarf army! Perfect for settling any grudges.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

HMS Captain so far

Name:  20201210_174118.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  137.7 KB

Stay sails, the rest of the rigging, then the base, flagging and she is done!
    She's looking awesome, Vol!
    –English Proverb

Thanks Jim and Rob.

That is an impressive dwarven army Rob, larger than my own. But I do hava a couple of Gob Lobbers and one Steam Cannon with crew. I have nothing as cool as your exquisite dwarven banner!

HMS Captain with stay sails mounted and standing rigging completed for this evening's session.

Name:  20201211_201148.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  148.5 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Vol.
    I don't normally field all my Dwarven Hoard together. This Army is actually from three of my separate Dwarf Holds, brought together for this battle. I also gathered my Miners and the three incarnations of Bugman's Rangers for this one. The banner was done in the days before computers. It is Blake’s painting "The Ancient of Days" copied on a Roneo duplicating machine in Black and white, reduced by the old squared paper method and then hand painted by me. Those were the days my friend!

Rob.

And that is why I don't have a banner like that, haha! Yes my dwarves were done back in the day as well, like 1984ish? Haven't had them out to play for 30 plus years. Your pics make me want to dust them off and set them up.
    But I have so many ships to build.........

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

HMS Captain with stay sails mounted and standing rigging completed for this evening's session.

Name:  20201211_201148.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  148.5 KB
    That looks amazing!...I have carved a ship from a block of wood myself...but I'm afraid it isn't very accurate to any type of ship.

Hello Daniel, welcome to the Anchorage. And thank you for the rep points. I have not tried a block of wood, but I have done a few scratch built ships using balsa or bass wood, card, plastic, brass, and anything else I found useful laying around.

https://volsminiatures.blogspot.com/...opard.html?m=0

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And that is why I don't have a banner like that, haha! Yes my dwarves were done back in the day as well, like 1984ish? Haven't had them out to play for 30 plus years. Your pics make me want to dust them off and set them up.
    But I have so many ships to build.........
    I know how you feel Vol. My Dwarf Army has not been in battle since Wings of War came out. They have even forgotten most of the grudges by now.
    Rob.

I finished Captain tonight
    Name:  20201214_193719.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  181.3 KB
    Name:  20201214_193747.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  176.3 KB
    Name:  20201214_193807.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  154.7 KB
    Name:  20201214_193816.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  181.3 KB
    Name:  20201214_193826.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  190.5 KB
    Name:  20201214_193837.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  186.3 KB
    Name:  20201214_193847.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  156.9 KB
    Name:  20201214_193858.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  172.2 KB
    Name:  20201214_193917.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  219.5 KB
    Name:  20201214_193935.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  210.0 KB

And here is a comparison shot with a Warlord Games 3rd rate.
    Name:  20201214_194117.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  180.5 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You have certainly done her proud Vol.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

HMS Captain looks fantastic, Vol. All the extra details you've added really contributes to the authenticity. Well done!
    –English Proverb

Thank you Rob and Jim. I must find a way to make hammock netting though. Captain and all of these 3D hulls need some.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

What a splendid idea Vol.Away the boarders!
    Rob.