1st Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Default 3D Coastline

https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....on-in-sequence

Following in your footsteps once again, Rob, I have begun cutting out foam pieces for doing coastline in 3D.

Name:  20201129_180112.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  135.8 KB

One thing that did occur to me was, how did you make the joints between pieces universal? Your coastline looks very cohesive.

1st Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20201130_182250.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  164.0 KB

After cutting them all out, I just had to get a feel for what it would look like. It's a lot of land. This is going to take a lot of supplies. More white glue and primer needed!

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Vol

The bandsaw is a time saver isn't it? Anxious to see the progress on this Dobbs!

Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My Bandsaw has finally given up the ghost after many years of service. For my last project I was reduced to using my scroll saw. i am now frantically saving up for a new Bandsaw.
    I started off the same way as you Dobbs, just with the copies of the official coastline and then went onto the forts. Then it was fitting historical forts with the existing terrain ends. One tip if I may. Once you have formed your first piece of landscape in 3D make a template of the end where it joins the next. i used a plastic offcut for this and marked it template on both sides so as not to discard it with the rubbish. Whatever the contour of the piece, as long as all the ends are the same shape you will be able to juxtapose any of them in whatever configureation you wish for. The square corner pieces are critical in this respect. Hope I'm not teaching my grandmother to suck eggs.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

1st Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

The contour shaper was what I had in mind, too. I just didn't want to overlook a solution if I was missing something.

Name:  20201201_094339.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  217.2 KB

I found that my scroll saw with an omnidirectional blade was the ticket. The bandsaw did play a role, cutting the perpendicular straights where the pieces meet.

Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I like the adjustable throat on your Delta Dobbs. Mine is a bit more limited, and it is sometimes a bit of a juggle to get large bits of scenics through the gap.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

1st Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20210104_083433.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  185.5 KB

The sod farm delivered today and now I have grass! Next up, a delivery of sand and rocks from the quarry...

Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks as if you have been truly grassed up Dobbs!

Rob.

The way they currently look reminds me of a view of Dover from the Channel...

1st Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

An instant gratification test.

Name:  20210104_131312.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  141.8 KB

I thought about making the cliffs white, Bill, but decided to go understated instead.

Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looking good Dobbs. Next the Fortifications.

Rob.

1st Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Looking good!

1st Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Looking good!
    I can't wait till we can use them together! Here's the latest developments:

Name:  20210105_164137.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  172.0 KB

Suzanne suggested blue felt as a playing surface. She thought it might be less slippery than vinyl. Initial reports are optimistic.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 01-05-2021 at 19:16.

Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You have a very nice bay there Dobbs. Felt sounds good to me. I am finding it harder to stop ships slipping when moving cards under them than I used to do, and bits can easily be cleaned off it with a Vac attatchment.

Rob.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Vol

That blue actually looks really good, like the water in the Caribbean. Nice shoreline Dobbs.

1st Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    That blue actually looks really good, like the water in the Caribbean. Nice shoreline Dobbs.
    Thanks, Vol! Suzanne and I picked it because it reminds us of sailing in the Caribbean. That's the color ocean should be!

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Vol

Yes it is! I haven't been to the Caribbean for 50 years, but I have fond memories of it. I also have fond memories of the South Pacific islands. I believe Fiji's Yasawa islands are paradise on earth.

1st Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Thanks, Vol! Suzanne and I picked it because it reminds us of sailing in the Caribbean. That's the color ocean should be!
    Sure you don't want greenish brown colors of the Chesapeake?

Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Do you mean this sort of colour Eric?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

1st Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Sure you don't want greenish brown colors of the Chesapeake?
    That's why I feel so comfortable playing on the table on Grace with no mat. I feel it captures the color.

Name:  20201030_145426.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  128.7 KB

Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It did not look that bad when we were there as you can see from my photo!
    However I have seen estuaries looking just that muddy colour in spate, so that was quite an astute choice of table top Dobbs.

Rob.

1st Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

You are right about the lower Chesapeake, Rob. The water down there almost looks like ocean water sometimes. 150 miles to the north, however, it has days when it looks like coffee with too much creamer!

Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

How far up are you Dobbs?
    Rob.