Thread: Mast repair advice sought

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Ian

Default Mast repair advice sought

Unfortunately one of my frigates - HMS Amphion - suffered serious damage yesterday in an engagement and her main mast broke off just below the main course sail. Initial repairs at Greenwich (see photo) have proven unsuccessful, as the mast won’t reaffix securely enough, so I’m wondering if any more experienced hands have advice before I send her to dry dock?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Hey Ian, unlucky sir.

You need a pin vice (model drill) and a few small drill bits.
    Drill into the broken ends of the mast and then glue in a pin, use either a staple or small dress pin. You only need a 2mm hole into the broken ends.
    Dry fit to make sure all ok then super glue into place. The metal pin will keep it in place.
    I would suggest then to rig your ship, use the bristle method , this will add further stability to the mend.
    If you search Mast repair on here you will no doubt find examples of the repair.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If you look here Ian you can see apictorial of how Nightmoss mends his masts following very much what Captain Duff has advised.

https://sailsofglory.org/content.php...-2-Mast-Repair

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.