Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 3D Ship Files / Kickstarter

No worries here Henry I have so many miniatures project and ships to work on already - the lead pile or now maybe the resin pile! I am glad to hear about another Gilded Age pack and getting to some of the Yankee ships. I am currently researching resin printers in anticipation of this future in miniatures that is happening now!! I am going to head over to Wargame3d and pick up your Dutch Pinnace for my Oak & Iron fleet. I also used to sail on a replica of one so of course I have to have it!

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

Here are the 1/700 test prints.

...As you'll see, not everything went entirely as I'd have liked :/

Naturally I'm making some mesh/support fixes and then reprinting these! The issues shown in this video won't be in the final products, naturally - but I stand by showcasing my mistakes:

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for that preview Henry. Even with those two minor faults she is a very impressive model. cant wait to see how that translates to 1000th.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Thanks Henry!

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Looking forward to the finished articles, need a ship fix, been too long now. Keep up the good work Henry

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

Here's the latest progress update:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/3085544

Not sure how much will be of interest to you guys, as it's mostly about the delivery of the Spanish STL files, but there are some work-in-progress pictures of the new British ships at the bottom :)

Thanks Henry I have my link!

BTW as someone who has pledged a number of Kickstarters, including SOG, I think you are doing a great job with updates and getting pledges out.

Also I did want to ask about printers. Do you have any recommendations for a resin printer?

I was looking at these:

https://www.anycubic.com/collections...cubic-photon-s

https://www.elegoo.com/collections/m...lcd-3d-printer

Would these types of consumer/hobby printers work for the 1/700 ships?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looking very promising Henry.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post

BTW as someone who has pledged a number of Kickstarters, including SOG, I think you are doing a great job with updates and getting pledges out.

Also I did want to ask about printers. Do you have any recommendations for a resin printer?

I was looking at these:

In addition to printer information I'd be interested if you (or anyone) could recommend folks who do 3D printing on demand? The Wargaming3D website lists independent 'licensed' printers, but most of the links are broken?
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I was looking at these:

Either of those would be fine. I'm using an original Anycubic Photon which punches out reliable prints once its dialled in. These two 1/700 models rescaled and printed to 1/1000 came off the Photon last year. The only pieces that aren't printed are the lower masts, which are made from pins to add a bit of rigidity.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Those look superb Dave. This is certainly the way forward as far as I can see.
    Rob.

Nice result, David.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

I was looking at these:

Thank you :)

I'm not much of a printer myself, ironically - by which I mean to say that I don't do a good job keeping my thumb on developments in the market and I only really use my own printer to test print my designs (don't use it much recreationally). But I am very fond of my Elegoo Mars 2 Pro; it's got an entry-level price point and one of the new LCD screens that prints about twice as fast as the previous generation's and lasts longer to boot (sadly LCD screens are considered "disposable parts" within the SLA printing community! They usually last about 6 months, I'm told, though mine has yet to fail because I use it so infrequently (we'll see if I'm still saying that after printing 125 ships!)

I gather that the Photon is about equivocal to an Elegoo Mars, but I don't know if what you've linked are of the new generation with the better screens that I've mentioned.

I know there's a new printer doing the rounds called a Phazon or a Phrozen or something like that... it's much more expensive but has a better print resolution; it was using one of those that one of my backers printed my ACW figures in 6mm with all the details preserved. Sorry I can't be of more help, I can't remember the model name and can't find the post where it was mentioned >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    In addition to printer information I'd be interested if you (or anyone) could recommend folks who do 3D printing on demand? The Wargaming3D website lists independent 'licensed' printers, but most of the links are broken?

I'm afraid I don't know any that I'd trust. Obviously there's Shapeways but their prices are so ridiculous I closed my shop there (even though people would buy my models, I felt I couldn't in good conscience allow them to pay those kinds of prices).

My recommendation's always going to be for people to either individually try get into printing themselves or do it as part of a group effort - ultimately if you print, say, 10 3rd rates (or larger) the printer's already paid for itself. I'd say the only reason to pay other people to do it is if printing is just totally beyond you/far too impractical for your living situation (and to be honest, I don't think I'll be doing much printing myself once this project is over as I've found that stinking out my bedroom/splashing resin everywhere isn't a good idea in a room that's about 2.5x2.5m!)

I wanted to share some pictures with you guys. Neil Mason shared these in my community group on Facebook, they're the 1/1000 sculpts - which I hadn't at the time test printed so I'm very grateful to him for having done it for me! They're Fenix and San José:
    Name:  fWp7qCJ.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  126.6 KB

Name:  N6NrZ5m.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  166.1 KB

Interestingly the mad lad supported them using Chitubox's auto support feature... which in my view is just utter madness. Great job that it worked out for him! In my experience that usually results in the model going splash in the tank :P

Currently working on Victory and the Ganges-class, will then go into overdrive with getting the physical models manufactured and sent out.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I find the Chitubox autosupport feature can be a good stating point but it needs editing afterwards to get rid of greeblies, and it can miss some unsupported elements in complex models.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I just looked at them on the sprues, and thought, My word! Those slipways are a bit steep for a launch.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I just looked at them on the sprues, and thought, My word! Those slipways are a bit steep for a launch.
    Rob.
    Imagine the poor carpenters trying to use their levels!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks Henry for your reply concerning sources for 3D printing. I definitely won't be using Shapeways, which leaves folks listed on Wargaming 3D or possibly Etsy. The issue with either is licensing/copyright requirements, cost and shipping.

Having a resin 3D printer in the house really isn't an option; space and safety with resin being the main issues.

For now I'll just be satisfied that I opted in on the 1/1000 printed KS.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Me too Jim.
    It will give us plenty of painting during the rest of 2021, especially if they keep us locked in.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    I find the Chitubox autosupport feature can be a good stating point but it needs editing afterwards to get rid of greeblies, and it can miss some unsupported elements in complex models.
    I don't like how it'll often draw supports onto fragile bits like the cannons. I only ever support the ships from the base of the hull myself, though that does mean you'll get some tiny areas where stuff might not print, but I've never really noticed.

Thanks Henry for your reply concerning sources for 3D printing. I definitely won't be using Shapeways, which leaves folks listed on Wargaming 3D or possibly Etsy. The issue with either is licensing/copyright requirements, cost and shipping.

Having a resin 3D printer in the house really isn't an option; space and safety with resin being the main issues.

For now I'll just be satisfied that I opted in on the 1/1000 printed KS.
    I'm fine with people using third parties so long as that third party won't retain the files (so if you're dealing with some individual printer, just get a statement in writing from them saying that they won't retain the file after printing the models. Otherwise I don't really see how it's any different from just using one's own printer! It'd only be if that seller then turned around and started selling the ships to other people that I'd be raising eyebrows.

Me too Jim.
    It will give us plenty of painting during the rest of 2021, especially if they keep us locked in.
    Rob.
    Painting my own fleet is something I intend to do as soon as I finish the two projects :D No free time for painting at the moment, but I certainly miss it!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Might not be a bad idea if we forwarded a copy of any agreement to you Jim. Then you could keep an eye on any later infringements of that sort.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Either of those would be fine. I'm using an original Anycubic Photon which punches out reliable prints once its dialled in. These two 1/700 models rescaled and printed to 1/1000 came off the Photon last year. The only pieces that aren't printed are the lower masts, which are made from pins to add a bit of rigidity.
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryTurner View Post
    Thank you :)

I'm not much of a printer myself, ironically - by which I mean to say that I don't do a good job keeping my thumb on developments in the market and I only really use my own printer to test print my designs (don't use it much recreationally). But I am very fond of my Elegoo Mars 2 Pro; it's got an entry-level price point and one of the new LCD screens that prints about twice as fast as the previous generation's and lasts longer to boot (sadly LCD screens are considered "disposable parts" within the SLA printing community! They usually last about 6 months, I'm told, though mine has yet to fail because I use it so infrequently (we'll see if I'm still saying that after printing 125 ships!)

I gather that the Photon is about equivocal to an Elegoo Mars, but I don't know if what you've linked are of the new generation with the better screens that I've mentioned.

I know there's a new printer doing the rounds called a Phazon or a Phrozen or something like that... it's much more expensive but has a better print resolution; it was using one of those that one of my backers printed my ACW figures in 6mm with all the details preserved. Sorry I can't be of more help, I can't remember the model name and can't find the post where it was mentioned >.<
    Thank you Henry and David. The ships look great. One thing I like about the Elegoo is the sealed lid and filter to help keep the resin smell down.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Suggestion: It might be prudent to draw up a standard "Non-Transfer Agreeement" requiring that printers delete the files after they finish a licenseholder's order. If it's one standard agreement worldwide, that might keep everybody on the same page.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Suggestion: It might be prudent to draw up a standard "Non-Transfer Agreeement" requiring that printers delete the files after they finish a licenseholder's order. If it's one standard agreement worldwide, that might keep everybody on the same page.
    I couldn't agree with you more, DB. After some 3D copyright reading yesterday the entire IP issue with 3D printing is still very murky. Some of the 'terms of service' agreements that libraries have to put out look like legal dissertations?! If Henry could put his terms down so I could copy and paste into potential orders with 3rd party printers I'd feel much more confident.

Ironically, a 3rd party printer I thought might work out on Etsy is so busy that he's only taking orders in excess of $100 or that involve huge print runs. Finding a 3rd party printer source clearly isn't going to be easy.
    –English Proverb

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

I couldn't agree with you more, DB. After some 3D copyright reading yesterday the entire IP issue with 3D printing is still very murky. Some of the 'terms of service' agreements that libraries have to put out look like legal dissertations?! If Henry could put his terms down so I could copy and paste into potential orders with 3rd party printers I'd feel much more confident.

Ironically, a 3rd party printer I thought might work out on Etsy is so busy that he's only taking orders in excess of $100 or that involve huge print runs. Finding a 3rd party printer source clearly isn't going to be easy.
    I'll get to work drawing one up later in the week!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I'll get to work drawing one up later in the week!
    Excellent! Thanks, Henry.
    –English Proverb

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

My first thought was see if any of the 3d-print guys on the Aerodrome would be open to licensing Henry's models, or if Keith might be open to offering 'em through Anchorage Accessories.

Henry, note sent to Ares several weeks ago, and nothing but comm silence on all fronts since.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Henry, note sent to Ares several weeks ago, and nothing but comm silence on all fronts since.

Don't worry Diamondback, been chock-a in the meanwhile so no big loss! I've hardly been sitting on idle hands this end.

I don't know how many of you follow the Facebook or the KS updates, but I've got the British ships finished and sent out to backers, and I'm beginning the proper physical prints runs starting next week. Truth be told my anxiety's through the roof as there's just so much that can go wrong with 3D printing! I think it should take me 7-10 days, though anyone who made a custom order including other ships will have to wait longer for dispatch as those files themselves need slicing/prep.

Anyhow, by way of an apology for my long silence, here's a video of HMS Victory. I'm sorry that the backdrops are so awful (the resin-stained turnstyle, workbench and my bed) but I don't have much to work with in this small room!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Nice preview Henry.
    Thanks.
    Rob.

Don't worry Diamondback, been chock-a in the meanwhile so no big loss! I've hardly been sitting on idle hands this end.

I don't know how many of you follow the Facebook or the KS updates, but I've got the British ships finished and sent out to backers, and I'm beginning the proper physical prints runs starting next week. Truth be told my anxiety's through the roof as there's just so much that can go wrong with 3D printing! I think it should take me 7-10 days, though anyone who made a custom order including other ships will have to wait longer for dispatch as those files themselves need slicing/prep.

Anyhow, by way of an apology for my long silence, here's a video of HMS Victory. I'm sorry that the backdrops are so awful (the resin-stained turnstyle, workbench and my bed) but I don't have much to work with in this small room!
    Looks good Henry. I downloaded my files. I do have a couple of questions:

The supports in the video are they included in the .stl file or do I have to set them up via the slicing software?

I just downloaded Chitubox and I am learning how to use it.

Is there any specific resin you found that works best for the ships? I do want to try the plant based due to it being less toxic and smelly.

Do you think a 4k printer would make any visible difference in the details at 1/700 scale?

Thanks

BTW I grabbed some of your work from Wargaming3d - including the Prins Willem to use with my Oak & Iron ships. Probably going to get the pinnace and fluyt as well. Great looking models.

Eric

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Seeing your photos makes me glad that I invested in your artwork, Henry!

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

Looks good Henry. I downloaded my files. I do have a couple of questions:

The supports in the video are they included in the .stl file or do I have to set them up via the slicing software?

I just downloaded Chitubox and I am learning how to use it.

Is there any specific resin you found that works best for the ships? I do want to try the plant based due to it being less toxic and smelly.

Do you think a 4k printer would make any visible difference in the details at 1/700 scale?

Thanks

BTW I grabbed some of your work from Wargaming3d - including the Prins Willem to use with my Oak & Iron ships. Probably going to get the pinnace and fluyt as well. Great looking models.

Eric
    Hey! So the supports are a bit of an embarrassing story at the moment: The ships went out without any supported versions (unlike the Spanish) so as to meet my promised deadline. I then started patching supports in, doing Victory and Ganges... only to find that both had small problems with their sculpts which I felt obliged to correct (misshapen gunports and two missing cannons). Unfortunately re-exporting a sculpt means they need supporting again.

For supporting and making rafts for your prints, use LycheeSlicer, Chitubox I'd only recommend for exporting your final file for printing - perhaps that's what you're already doing, but just making sure! Chitubox is a rather buggy Chinese mess, frankly.

I've only ever used one resin, which I stand by, but it means I'm awful to ask for comparisons. I was recommended it when I got into printing; Nova3D LCD UV.

I think a 4k printer would be pointless, really, as the details are so small on these things that the difference between their printing as "blobs" or with defined features is not noticeable; consider the fact that one of Victory's stern figures heads is about 0.4mm thick at most (which is a detail that will still print); that's so tiny that, when you paint it, it's just going to be a small coloured blur anyway. 4k would only be worth it if you're intending on going in there with a magnifying glass.

So, as things stand, only Victory has supports at the moment. You'll find a file called "Victory (1765) (Supported).stl" as well as some Lychee Slicer saves for if you want to tinker for yourself.

I'll be redoing them on Monday, sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Seeing your photos makes me glad that I invested in your artwork, Henry!
    Thank you :) Here's hoping the models all arrive safe and sound.

Here are the first 1/1000 and 1/1200 prints:
    Name:  qD79L6e.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  118.6 KB

Thanks Henry!

I will check out LycheeSlicer.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

169 hulls printed and boxed... a solid week of work! Today I'm kicking back with a takeaway pizza and beer ;)

The masts and sails aren't done yet, though, because the FDM printer just takes so damn long - it's causing a bit of a bottleneck. It takes about 40 minutes to print a part and I've 150 left to go. For COVID reasons (I live with vulnerable people) I want to minimise Post Office trips so, alas, the packages aren't being sent until every set's been furnished with its masts.

Sorry for the delay, guys, it's my fault for not printing the masts sooner - the machine's just so loud that I always felt disinclined to run it (it's next to the PC where I work). Now it's a necessity, mind!

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Yikes! That works out to about 2 weeks of 8 hour days! That is a bottleneck!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

No worries Henry. Tis Kismet.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Henry, go ahead and bump my batch to the back of the line--I'm in no hurry here. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20210307_114432.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  140.4 KB

I have always used this primer on my islands and plastic forts. It doesn't seem to affect styrene, but does eat unprotected foam (white glue protects the foam).

Does anyone know if it is safe for the plastic that these ships are made of? Any alternative recommendations for primer?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have been using Games Workshop spray can primers ever since year dot, but yesterday for the first time they declined to post either that or the varnish to me so by the end of next week I will be stuck also.

Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

I have been using Games Workshop spray can primers ever since year dot, but yesterday for the first time they declined to post either that or the varnish to me so by the end of next week I will be stuck also.

Rob.
    Primer is worth its weight in gold :/ I don't know why it's so restricted over here.

Regarding what works on these models - I've used Tamiya, Citadel and Halfords white acrylic spray with no issues.

For the curious, this is the brand of resin I use:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOVA3D-Curi...ct_top?ie=UTF8

As for an update on the models - I didn't do any printing over the weekend, as it was my birthday, but I've just about got the 1/1000 sets done. However, since I want to send everything all at once, I'm afraid dispatch won't take place until I finish the 1/1200 sets but, being the smallest, they shouldn't take too long to print. I somewhat wisely chose to start with the 1/700 masts as the first I printed, and they're all done.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for the update Henry. Good month for a birthday too. Mine is in a couple of weeks time.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post

I have always used this primer on my islands and plastic forts. It doesn't seem to affect styrene, but does eat unprotected foam (white glue protects the foam).

Does anyone know if it is safe for the plastic that these ships are made of? Any alternative recommendations for primer?
    I usually use the cheap primers from either HD or Lowe's on my plastic models with no problems. Could be Rustoleum or Krylon. I usually get the indoor version though, in black. I have found that a grey sandable auto primer works well on my plastic WWII ships as a base coat. I think it is Krylon as well.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Happy Birthday, Henry! Mine's at the end of the month.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Happy birthday, Henry! Hope you had some way of celebrating it, in those days of the yellow flag.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

What the others said, hope you had a Happy! :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Happy birthday Henry. Hope you had a great day and a tall single malt!

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

Wellp, pledges are all boxed and labelled - I'm sending them out today :)

https://imgur.com/b4961c48-5bd9-45f4-b25d-9e825ed65bd8

Hopefully the Brits will get them in 2-3 days, the Americans in 1-2 weeks.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for the update Henry.
    That was faster than I was anticipating.

Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

Has anyone had their ships arrive yet? I've not had any feedback on how well they survived transit, aside from one guy who ordered a large 1/1200 custom order - so I'd be curious to hear, please!

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I haven't, though I have been checking my post office box daily!

In a related question, I picked up some Tamiya spray primer. Will this be safe with the printer plastic?

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

Yes, should be, so long as it's acrylic spray intended for modelling :)

I've used Tamiya acrylics successfully on my prototypes before.