Thread: 3D Ship Files / Kickstarter

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

If I get my bowsprit finished it may be a thing to add directly to the model and print it with the hull in future prints. I still think I will prefer Simon's sails with the steel mast.

Right bow I think the jibs are pointing a bit to low so I am trying to modify the angles.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    If I get my bowsprit finished it may be a thing to add directly to the model and print it with the hull in future prints. I still think I will prefer Simon's sails with the steel mast.

Right bow I think the jibs are pointing a bit to low so I am trying to modify the angles.
    I think you're doing an outstanding job so far, Jonas. I think I'm a mast snob and I want what you've got!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Thank you Dobbs.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

It took some time, but here's my suggestion of how Simon's sails could be improved:

Spanker
    Name:  Spanker.png
Views: 519
Size:  17.1 KB

Do anyone else have any input? To my suggestion? To Simon's sails?

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

It took some time, but here's my suggestion of how Simon's sails could be improved:

Spanker
Views: 519

Do anyone else have any input? To my suggestion? To Simon's sails?
    By raising the peak/head, you're definitely on the right track, Jonas. What about shortening the upper yard a touch more?

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

A little bit like this?

Views: 509

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

A little bit like this?

Views: 509
    That's looking really good! For comparison, look at the mizzen in the painting you posted (excellent 3D interpretation BTW).

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That is looking splendid now Jonas.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

Nice work on the angles required Jonas.
    I'm back at work after some nice holiday time so once the rayo is finished will tweak the sails as per your picture

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

Haven't had much time to put on the rayo recently but have now got it going again.
    Some.tweaks and the gunports still need cutting out, then some hammock netting on the 100 gun version

Name:  D248841A-44CA-4A27-9760-5E88B3B25E80.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  66.7 KB

Name:  54AAC267-0857-4D5B-A53E-E0645849545C.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  65.4 KB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Good to see.

I'm guessing the 100 gun also need the figurehead?

It has an empty space waiting in my Spabish fleet.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

It does, that will be the last bit for the 100 gun version :)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looking very good Simon.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

Hi guys,
    Well after a major job change I've finally managed to get the Rayo to a finished state and the first print at 1:700 scale complete.
    It's likely the figurehead will be too delicate at smaller scales so I may do a version with the lion figurehead on instead. Just let me know if that would be preferred for smaller scales or not.
    The lighting was a bit harsh so I'll try and do some more photos at the weekend and see about making this available.
    This version is the 100 gun refit of 1804 but I also have the original 80 gun build in there too.

Name:  86CFA4E5-65AD-4EA0-BE04-64935119E4FB.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  99.7 KB

Name:  840511DF-5908-43BE-AF15-04743B462EBF.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  85.0 KB

Name:  7227BF78-02F6-4330-853B-5C0657DDC2DE.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  147.9 KB

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

and a comparison (rear to front):

- Santisima Trinidad
    - Rayo
    - San Juan del Nepomuceno
    - Montanes
    - San Fugencio
    - Mahonesa

Name:  01069945-74D3-481A-A603-BA5796845E05.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  158.4 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thank you Simon.
    They are all looking just fine to me.
    I''m sure that they will be ordered in droves at the smaller scale.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I love it and will definitely buy it as soon as I can.

I would like to have that figurehead as it’ll probably print well on resin printers and at the smaller scales that’s probably what will be used anyway. I have often used the 1:700 downscaled as my 1:1000 scaled prints, even if there’s a 1:1000 available due to printers handling it well nowadays. The only question is the size of the guns as I’ve noted the differences in gun size between scales when all scaled to 1:1000.

I have started to use “tough” resin more and more and it makes the models a little less prone to breaking. The figurehead is protected by the bowsprit too, so I would like to see that one and not the lion that’s on every other Spanish ship.

I would love to see the Bahama too and then it’s just a Spanish second rate and all my needs for ships of the line are met.

Then there’ll be the question of frigates… and Dutch… and Swedish… and Danish… and Russian… and…

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Steady on Jonas, or you'll get me started on the Dutch Fleet, and some Russians to fight my Sweeish Frigates when they return from the Med. There you go now see what you have started!

Rob.

That looks awesome Simon! I am looking so forward to printing both Rayo versions. I will echo Jonas' request for Bahama as well.

Rob, did you see that Henry has finished the Bonhomme Richard? He also has a Roebuck class Serapis available.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

…and he had four different ships that all had seven votes in the Patreon when I just had to select the 68 gun Dutch ship as a winner. Now he will have a 74, a 68 and a frigate.

Sadly the Swedish ships weren’t close at four votes. I still hope he’ll make the oared frigates.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That is indeed good news Jonas.

Rob.

…and he had four different ships that all had seven votes in the Patreon when I just had to select the 68 gun Dutch ship as a winner. Now he will have a 74, a 68 and a frigate.

Sadly the Swedish ships weren’t close at four votes. I still hope he’ll make the oared frigates.
    Yes Jonas, I would love to see the oared Swedish and Russian in-shore Army fleet vessels like the turunmaa, hemmemaa, udenmaa, pojamaa, kaik and shebek!

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Well thats another ship I will be getting and looking at all the comments here seems we will have a number of new models to grace our games, at least here the future is looking bright

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I'm sad Ares won't get any bite out of this cake, but the Sails community is doing good with the 3D printing injection.

Ares had the opportunity and could have if they wanted too. Apparently they didn't want to. I, for one, am very thankful for Simon and Henry.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Ares had the opportunity and could have if they wanted too. Apparently they didn't want to. I, for one, am very thankful for Simon and Henry.
    *I* dropped them a headsup and suggested a marketing partnership as an Official Licensed Accessory... no reply.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Typical DB.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Simon’s Rayo is out. I’ve bought it on 3DWargaming.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Chris will be delighted.
    Another nice Christmas surprise for him.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just another thought came to mind. With all the new ships being introduced by 3D printing, it would probably pay Ares to revert to the origins of the Wings game for Sails as well. Just market the game rules and cards for playing for all the new ship models, and let us source the ships for ourselves. That would at least give them a slice of the cake without the expense of producing the moulds for new ships.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Just another thought came to mind. With all the new ships being introduced by 3D printing, it would probably pay Ares to revert to the origins of the Wings game for Sails as well. Just market the game rules and cards for playing for all the new ship models, and let us source the ships for ourselves. That would at least give them a slice of the cake without the expense of producing the moulds for new ships.

Rob.
    Sadly I think most companies are doing the opposite and going more and more proprietary. Time will tell but I think your solution is the best for all parties!

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post

Rob.
    Sadly, that's about as likely as me winning three consecutive record Mega Millions or Powerball jackpots and getting Ares to accept a massive capital infusion dedicated exclusively for Wings and Sails...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well I guess that just about kicks that one into touch then gents.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Even then, last I heard next in line for the Sails game-system was a scale-change "Fantasy Pirates" line. I'm sitting that out; my position as Historical Consultant is that there are enough tales of derring-do and amazing adventures in the historical record that a good storyteller (which is precisely what a scenario game is, a more interactive "Choose Your Own Adventure" with the addition of chance and an opponent making his own choices) shouldn't NEED to to take a voyage on HMS Make Stuff Up. :)

I'll do technical stuff if asked advising about "do the ship designs look like they make sense," and reviewing scenarios for feel about "could this have conceivably happened," but the operative word in my role as I see it is historical consultant and when history goes out the window so does the role I fill. (Bonhomme Richard was stretching, but still worked because it was a challenge trying to get inside John Paul Jones's head and figure out what he had envisioned to outfit his ship--I don't know if David would agree, but my sense was he was trying to overmatch the 50-gun heavy cruisers like the Portlands, kind of build a "sail-powered Graf Spee," so there was a historical exercise even in the What-If.)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I totally agree DB.
    Whilst I am happy to embroider around historical actions and pop my own commanders and captains into ships and flottilas that were actually not there, they have to conform with what was historially believable. No battle fleets of three deckers rounding the Cape or 74 gun HEIC ships. the story line must also have some rootys in historical reality even if the actual nub of the storyline was half a world away. Let chance and the AI or opposing captains determine the outcome of the scenario thereafter.

Captain Smithers, Kiwi, and I have followed this pattern for donkey's years now, and always got a satisfying game out of it.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Since so many historical things are so unlikely and hard to believe except that they actually happened, fantasy will be very hard to get right.

I get why they might want to make their own fantasy variant. You can go down the Games Workshop way if you make your own IP. You can never protect history. That's why Napoleonics always were cheaper than GW's stuff. You can always get the historical stuff from another manufacturer. Now that other manufacturer can be yourself with a 3D printer. You only need to get the models and as long as they are historical, they can't be claimed as Intellectual Property.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Also explains why GW abandoned the Historicals market... I don't mind them doing a parallel line, as long as they remember to take care of us who basically BUILT their house for them too. Without Wings I daresay there would probably BE no Ares Games today.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Also explains why GW abandoned the Historicals market... I don't mind them doing a parallel line, as long as they remember to take care of us who basically BUILT their house for them too. Without Wings I daresay there would probably BE no Ares Games today.
    Good point!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I could not agree more DB.
    Rob.