Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 151 to 200 of 236

Thread: 3D Ship Files / Kickstarter

  1. #151
    Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Notts
    Log Entries
    17,897
    Blog Entries
    22
    Name
    Rob

    Default

    I have been doing this for years with the metal masts on my WWI and WW2 warships and with a bit of ingenuity it is even possible to do a fair bit of rigging which detaches with the mast.

    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

  2. #152
    Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    WA
    Log Entries
    3,702
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I have been doing this for years with the metal masts on my WWI and WW2 warships and with a bit of ingenuity it is even possible to do a fair bit of rigging which detaches with the mast.

    Rob.
    15 years ago we were doing the same thing with Wizkids Pirates and its credit-card ship kits... :) Right now my thinking would be to do ratlines printed on transparency film like Black Seas does.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

  3. #153
    Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    WA
    Log Entries
    3,702
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

    Default

    245GBP to go on Nepomuceno, 445 on the razee 64!
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

  4. #154
    Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    WA
    Log Entries
    3,702
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

    Default

    Make that 198 on Nepomuceno... if you bought the full half-dozen of SGN112 you really want four of these.

    37 hours. My pledge is capped by Henry asking me to keep a 15-hull-per-box limit, but we CAN do this... if Henry's open to a second box with second shipping charge maybe I can carry the "last yard" here too.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 12-30-2020 at 04:53.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

  5. #155
    1st Lieutenant
    United States

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Log Entries
    1,115
    Name
    Eric

    Default

    Funded with stretch goal 64 yay!

    Still time for the second one. I for one would be happy to wait for more mast and sail options and pay extra as well.

  6. #156
    Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    WA
    Log Entries
    3,702
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

    Default

    We have Nepomuceno and 74GBP left for the razees!
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

  7. #157
    Ordinary Seaman
    UK

    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    London
    Log Entries
    30
    Name
    Henry

    Default

    All goals funded, chaps, thank you very much :)

    In other news for progress today; much of it was spent on my end trying to get 1/1000 and 1/1200 sail sets done. I can confirm that the single-piece sails/yardarms combo (AKA the "Ares style") successfully print at 1/1200; the 1/1000 ones should be a simple case of upscaling :) However, I've yet to ascertain how well the "bare yardarms" will print.

    The evening was spent assembling 1/700 prototype prints, with their sails, so I can start a YouTube series where I offer painting tutorials on my ships. Hoping to put out a video covering every ship in the KS :)

    Here's how Christian VII looks, in 1/700, with a (rather wonky) dry test fit:

    Name:  7wGGiZo.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  65.4 KB
    Name:  XFui53d.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  62.0 KB
    Name:  0Jmsh1P.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  64.9 KB
    Name:  fCba5B3.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  66.8 KB

  8. #158
    Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Notts
    Log Entries
    17,897
    Blog Entries
    22
    Name
    Rob

    Default

    Just seen that we have the Razees.
    Superb effort to all and sundry, and thank you Henry for giving us what Ares can not seem to do. Looks like a lot of my spending money will be earmarked for the forseeable future.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

  9. #159
    Captain of the Fleet
    Master & Commander
    UK

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    South Glos
    Log Entries
    1,854
    Name
    Chris

    Default

    Thought the KS said the ships all came with masts and sails, will need to confirm if that was for the printed pledge or STL files only pledge.
    But looking good for extra ships as Ares future plans show nothing new upto March at least.
    If we get the Nepo stretch I will be wanting extra , like you DB, to replace the Ares versions.

    Ooooh just seen we got the Nepo, this just looks like getting better and better, now to save up for some ratlines

  10. #160
    Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    WA
    Log Entries
    3,702
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

    Default

    I'm thinking to just cheat on ratlines, a la Warlord, and use prints on transparency film. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

  11. #161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Thought the KS said the ships all came with masts and sails, will need to confirm if that was for the printed pledge or STL files only pledge.
    But looking good for extra ships as Ares future plans show nothing new upto March at least.
    If we get the Nepo stretch I will be wanting extra , like you DB, to replace the Ares versions.

    Ooooh just seen we got the Nepo, this just looks like getting better and better, now to save up for some ratlines
    I don't know if the printed ship pledges come with masts or sails, but I'm actually more concerned about the printed pledges not receiving stretch goals in printed form. For that matter I'm not sure that the print folks will get the STL files for the stretch goal ships? I've asked Henry to clarify on Facebook. If I get an answer I'll let folks here know as well.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

  12. #162
    Ordinary Seaman
    UK

    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    London
    Log Entries
    30
    Name
    Henry

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    I don't know if the printed ship pledges come with masts or sails, but I'm actually more concerned about the printed pledges not receiving stretch goals in printed form. For that matter I'm not sure that the print folks will get the STL files for the stretch goal ships? I've asked Henry to clarify on Facebook. If I get an answer I'll let folks here know as well.
    Hey, that's correct that the printed pledges don't receive the three stretch goals - that's simply to avoid the extra costs and logistical strain in printing 40+ extra models, which I'm not confident I could handle on top of the core sets I'm already producing on the single printer.

    However, if people do feel hard done by the above, I'm happy to include the STLs or, once I get to working on the stretch goals (which should be around March), I could offer everyone the individual choice of adding them onto their order, depending on how the printing's gone up to that point (I plan to print each model in a big batch as it's completed). I'm sorry to be somewhat non-commital about it, but the honest truth is that printing and dispatching so many ships is, to me, the biggest challenge involved in all of this. I've had trial runs with physical orders before, but it was always dealing with one customer at a time - so I've tried my best not to bite off more than I can chew and stagger production (printing as each model's finished, so in batches of 15) and limit order counts/quantities.

    Edit: I thought about this some more on my morning run and decided that, if people feel misled and had believed the stretch goals were included with the physical pledges, then I ought at least take some measures to make things right. To that end, I'll stick by what I said above and offer the chance, closer to the dispatch date, of adding the stretch goals on to the order, with a discount. Additionally, since I successfully test printed some 1/1200 masts yesterday, I'll add free mast sets for anyone who requests them (to that end, Diamondback, you might want to alter your pledge to subtract the cost of the masts we'd added to it). Finally, though, I will say that if anyone finds themselves reconsidering their pledges, it'd be perfectly understandable if you choose to cancel on the basis that you're not getting what you'd thought you were.

    I really apologise for less-than-straightforward way I wrote the KS. I know that confusion surrounding the differences between the digital and physical packages has been a persistent issue, and I could have done better in reducing the obfuscation. I hope that, going forward, I'll draw on this experience to structure my future Kickstarters with clear delineations between STL packs and printed packs (e.g. dividing the blurb into two parts, each explicitly detailing things as though they were separate projects).

    I would like to stress how grateful I am to all of you, though, and I am in no position from which it's reasonable to take your support for granted - without your pledges, I'd never have got this project off the ground and I am very much aware of that. I want to do my best to make everyone happy.
    Last edited by HenryTurner; 12-31-2020 at 01:36.

  13. #163
    Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Notts
    Log Entries
    17,897
    Blog Entries
    22
    Name
    Rob

    Default

    Personally I'm fine with it as long as I can eventually buy the stretched models at a later date along with 1000th masts and sails. I was intending to do that anyway, once you have cleared your backlog.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

  14. #164
    Ordinary Seaman
    UK

    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    London
    Log Entries
    30
    Name
    Henry

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Personally I'm fine with it as long as I can eventually buy the stretched models at a later date along with 1000th masts and sails. I was intending to do that anyway, once you have cleared your backlog.
    Rob.
    Sure, I'm perfectly happy to offer that - it's not a question of being unwilling to furnish the models, more being in a bit of a panic about the sheer volume that need to be produced within a defined window!


    I also have to admit that, the damages suffered by customers in the US and Australia before, when I've shipped there, have left me very nervous - I'd been sending bare hulls simply padded in shredded newspaper, and cannon/lantern breakages were unfortunately common. So this time I'm going to be wrapping the ships in tissue, then in "sausage rolls" of bubble wrap, with more bubble wrap lining the box and shredding to buffer it all up. I hope that'll be enough!

    This all sounds sort of silly on the surface (and very much a matter of common sense) but it's interesting what little hurdles you can come up against when going into miniature selling/production for the first time!

    What I hope, one day, is to either:
    -Move to a new home where I can accommodate 2-3 printers
    -Hire someone/outsource my printing
    -Find someone who's willing to buy a commercial licence

    Any of the above would allow me to do all this much more comfortably :) Suffice to say the current setup is less than ideal (tiny digs in a small square room; my bed's just beyond that radiator!):
    Name:  oTsKbhN.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  96.1 KB

    Hoping I'll be able to move out soon(ish) upon "striking lucky" with a secondary Kickstarter. My current model is to put out an Age of Sail one every 3-4 months, on a rolling basis, that'll bring in enough to keep me doing all this full-time, but I currently dedicate about 2 hours a day to side projects; one of which I'm very enthusiastic about but keeping a lid on for the time being :) Idea is to use that time to create the odd "experimental" Kickstarter, which is already ready upon being announced (so as to guarantee I don't take any time away from my existing commitments) that could prove fiendishly popular or an utter bomb.

    Guess I'm a gambler :)

  15. #165
    Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Notts
    Log Entries
    17,897
    Blog Entries
    22
    Name
    Rob

    Default

    That is fine Henry. Im so used to having to mend booms and masts on Ares ships that a lanthorn ot two would not bother me at all, but I can see that from your viewpoint with a reputation to build up, you would not like an adverse press at the onset. I think that offering the models at the 1000th scale will be a good move on your part for those of us who wish to complement our fleets with those ships not covered by Ares. I am especially keen to get my Dutch Fleet underway.
    my best wishes for the New Year to you.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

  16. #166
    Ordinary Seaman
    UK

    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    London
    Log Entries
    30
    Name
    Henry

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    That is fine Henry. Im so used to having to mend booms and masts on Ares ships that a lanthorn ot two would not bother me at all, but I can see that from your viewpoint with a reputation to build up, you would not like an adverse press at the onset. I think that offering the models at the 1000th scale will be a good move on your part for those of us who wish to complement our fleets with those ships not covered by Ares. I am especially keen to get my Dutch Fleet underway.
    my best wishes for the New Year to you.
    Rob.
    Speaking of the Dutch, I've had a bit of a Dutch day!

    A customer who I sold some prints to when I (briefly) offered to fulfill physical orders, sent me these pictures of my Dutch 74 - he has it fulfilling the role of Hornblower's HMS Sutherland in this diorama:
    Name:  XOCHv1i.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  54.6 KB
    Name:  egfNzZJ.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  58.1 KB

    And, furthermore, today I began work on a Dutch frigate for my Anglo-Dutch range:
    Name:  uHDv3x2.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  60.5 KB
    Name:  uzel2v1.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  46.2 KB

    The final somewhat exciting bit of news, too - I spoke at length with a model manufacturer and he was really urging me to consider commissioning resin/pewter production of my ships and selling physical products. He walked me through how he did it himself and, well, it all seems rather achievable! I'm sorely tempted to make my next naval Kickstarter an attempt to weigh-in with generic ships - perhaps starting with, say, a Leda-class, Temeraire and Tonnant.

    However, I'm not sure if that'd be of interest to you guys? I'm assuming that my value is more as a potential provider of niche ships that Ares hasn't covered - and that's rather at odds with producing ships with mass appeal that will sell enough to cover their production costs. I'm happy to do both, however, as it doesn't seem like digital design and selling physical miniatures are mutually exclusive occupations :)
    Last edited by HenryTurner; 12-31-2020 at 09:56.

  17. #167

    Default

    Thanks for the clarification on stretch goals, masts and such. I had considered increasing my pledge in an additional category to get both the STL files and the stretch goal ships, but I think I'll hold off for now and see what comes down the road. I have so many unfinished ships from Ares, Langton and now Warlord that it's going to keep me busy for years.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

  18. #168
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Washington
    Log Entries
    971
    Blog Entries
    2
    Name
    Vol

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Thanks for the clarification on stretch goals, masts and such. I had considered increasing my pledge in an additional category to get both the STL files and the stretch goal ships, but I think I'll hold off for now and see what comes down the road. I have so many unfinished ships from Ares, Langton and now Warlord that it's going to keep me busy for years.
    Haha, I have the same problem Jim!

  19. #169
    Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    WA
    Log Entries
    3,702
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryTurner View Post
    Speaking of the Dutch, I've had a bit of a Dutch day!

    A customer who I sold some prints to when I (briefly) offered to fulfill physical orders, sent me these pictures of my Dutch 74 - he has it fulfilling the role of Hornblower's HMS Sutherland in this diorama:
    Name:  XOCHv1i.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  54.6 KB
    Name:  egfNzZJ.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  58.1 KB

    And, furthermore, today I began work on a Dutch frigate for my Anglo-Dutch range:
    Name:  uHDv3x2.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  60.5 KB
    Name:  uzel2v1.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  46.2 KB

    The final somewhat exciting bit of news, too - I spoke at length with a model manufacturer and he was really urging me to consider commissioning resin/pewter production of my ships and selling physical products. He walked me through how he did it himself and, well, it all seems rather achievable! I'm sorely tempted to make my next naval Kickstarter an attempt to weigh-in with generic ships - perhaps starting with, say, a Leda-class, Temeraire and Tonnant.

    However, I'm not sure if that'd be of interest to you guys? I'm assuming that my value is more as a potential provider of niche ships that Ares hasn't covered - and that's rather at odds with producing ships with mass appeal that will sell enough to cover their production costs. I'm happy to do both, however, as it doesn't seem like digital design and selling physical miniatures are mutually exclusive occupations :)
    Henry, that might be another opportunity for you, as I mentioned in our email. Even within those there are variations and room to be different--the basic Leda is a straight copy of a French Hebe but there was also a "fir-built" version with a squared-off stern I don't expect to see anytime soon, the Cydnus class. Temeraires you have the Duquesnes (minor improved), Cassard (Large 74 version) and Pluton ("shallow-draft model") versions along with the British Pompee and America clones and the direct-ancestor Annibals, and there's the two variations of Tonnant-Bucentaure. Guess what I'm trying to say is, even within the "commodity classes" there's still room to do your own thing and carve a niche for yourself there too.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

  20. #170
    Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Notts
    Log Entries
    17,897
    Blog Entries
    22
    Name
    Rob

    Default

    I like your Dutch 74 Henry. Is that any specific ship or just a generic type?
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

  21. #171
    Ordinary Seaman
    UK

    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    London
    Log Entries
    30
    Name
    Henry

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I like your Dutch 74 Henry. Is that any specific ship or just a generic type?
    Rob.
    It's an early kit of mine which I intend to redo, I just attempted to give it a new lease on life by updating the deck fittings and planking to be more in-line with my current models. It's a hybrid kit that's got two stern options included to allow for the printing of either Washington or Prins Maurits. I wouldn't say it's a totally accurate model, but it roughly corresponds to the 74s like Vrijheid.

    By the way, everyone, here's a rather daft question I ought've asked earlier - is there anything I should do on the 1/1000 sculpts to make them visually compatible with Ares' ships?

    Looking at the ships, I see some have spars across their spar decks, with boats stowed as if the ships aren't in combat, and there are also the large flagstaffs on the stern - is there any consistency with this stuff? I assume people won't want me to put a large flagstaff, but how about flag poles - are they needed for attaching paper ensigns for gameplay purposes? As for spars and boats - it's always been my policy to not include them because the spars would be taken down and the boats trailed behind the ship in combat. But will that make my models stick out?

  22. #172
    Ordinary Seaman
    UK

    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    London
    Log Entries
    30
    Name
    Henry

    Default

    Re-reading the Kickstarter, I see that I actually promised masts on the 1/700 sets... now that I've been able to test print 1/1200 masts, I suppose it's only fair I offer them as standard for the other physical backers - I'll be doing so!

  23. #173
    Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Notts
    Log Entries
    17,897
    Blog Entries
    22
    Name
    Rob

    Default

    This is only my personal opinion Henry, but I prefer the ships trailing like Redcoat does his. By the time ships got to the distance they are on our play mats they would have cleared for action anyway. As for flag staffs, although it is useful for those of us who do not rig our ships, in reality when in action most ships that I have seen in artwork fly the flags run up on lines, and this would seem to be the norm for those who rig their ships, but I'm sure that my shipmates will want their sat on this shortly.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

  24. #174
    1st Lieutenant
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Maryland
    Log Entries
    1,370
    Blog Entries
    13
    Name
    Dobbs

    Default

    For keeping your 1/1000 ships similar to the Ares ones, having the headsails and spanker drawing as though the ship is on a port tack would be good. Heck, there might be a market for new headsails for some of the tack "confused" Ares models!

    While many folks have complained about the bracing behind the sails, it does make the miniatures less fiddly as gaming pieces. I vote for them. I also favor full sails as compared to battle sails. They look more dramatic.

    No flag poles.

    No boats.

    I've noticed that the larger scale ships have gunport lids. The Ares miniatures do not.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 01-01-2021 at 09:19.

  25. #175
    Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    WA
    Log Entries
    3,702
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    For keeping your 1/1000 ships similar to the Ares ones, having the headsails and spanker drawing as though the ship is on a port tack would be good. Heck, there might be a market for new headsails for some of the tack "confused" Ares models!

    While many folks have complained about the bracing behind the sails, it does make the miniatures less fiddly as gaming pieces. I vote for them. I also favor full sails as compared to battle sails. They look more dramatic.

    No flag poles.

    No boats.

    I've noticed that the larger scale ships have gunport lids. The Ares miniatures do not.
    My suggestion would be flags and boats as optional accessories, have the end-user drill their own mounting holes if desired. That way those who want 'em can have 'em and those who don't aren't stuck performing extra surgery.

    I suspect Ares skipped port lids for durability reasons, we all remember the nightmare of Wave 2's broken mast epidemic. So there I might suggest saving port lids for last to-do, save the STL there for an "Ares Style" then add them for the final "Traditional Accurate Model" file.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

  26. #176
    Ordinary Seaman
    UK

    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    London
    Log Entries
    30
    Name
    Henry

    Default

    Here's a snap of all the printed Canada-class models waiting for their fellows :)
    https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/031...&frame=1&q=92&

    And here's a progress shot of Santisima Trinidad:
    https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/031...lossless=true&

    Taken from this update I made today (Kickstarter updates will be posted every Friday!):
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...w_post_comment

  27. #177
    Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Log Entries
    3,074
    Name
    David

    Default

    First two links come up as "403 Forbidden"

  28. #178
    Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Notts
    Log Entries
    17,897
    Blog Entries
    22
    Name
    Rob

    Default

    I did not even get that far Dave. Just a blank page with a code number in the top left corner, but the third one was a cracker showing the Santissima.
    Thanks for giving us a window on your preogress Henry. Something to lighten the start of this year.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

  29. #179

    Default

    I think anyone can view Kickstarter updates so here's a link to his latest post with photos included. If this doesn't work we'll have to wait until Henry adds/corrects the images.

    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...MTr0gTLMm5BIcU
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

  30. #180
    Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Notts
    Log Entries
    17,897
    Blog Entries
    22
    Name
    Rob

    Default

    Yes. That is the one I could see Jim.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

  31. #181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Yes. That is the one I could see Jim.
    Rob.
    OK, good. I think the other two photos are just further down on that third KS link, but maybe he tried posting other shots as well?
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

  32. #182
    Captain of the Fleet
    Master & Commander
    UK

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    South Glos
    Log Entries
    1,854
    Name
    Chris

    Default

    I got blank screen alsoexcept for the ks update

  33. #183
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Washington
    Log Entries
    971
    Blog Entries
    2
    Name
    Vol

    Default

    Canada class ships
    Name:  541c5ce9bdbd8a3e85f2e21d63a19ef1_original.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  65.2 KB

    Santisima T
    Name:  096cff0be604b1250ce1d898d6109e01_original.png
Views: 96
Size:  123.9 KB
    Name:  0d186733a0f48b60074203b496b2cb61_original.png
Views: 95
Size:  153.5 KB
    Name:  a6c181cfdec473150a0c4ca1e1aed075_original.png
Views: 94
Size:  187.0 KB
    Name:  fb95e2dca3a9027d752a8c95904b76da_original.png
Views: 83
Size:  355.8 KB

  34. #184
    Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    WA
    Log Entries
    3,702
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

    Default

    Thanks for the update, Henry. Looking good so far! Guess I better go through the Vallejo catalog and get my paints ordered...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

  35. #185
    Ordinary Seaman
    UK

    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    London
    Log Entries
    30
    Name
    Henry

    Default

    Sorry about that, guys! That was rather embarrassing... I'm afraid that I paid for my laziness there; I've found that, when adding images via URL too quickly, the site coughs me up an error, so I tried to link the URLs directly. Ought've stuck around and verified that everything had worked! Cheers Vol for relaying the images :)

  36. #186
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Washington
    Log Entries
    971
    Blog Entries
    2
    Name
    Vol

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryTurner View Post
    Sorry about that, guys! That was rather embarrassing... I'm afraid that I paid for my laziness there; I've found that, when adding images via URL too quickly, the site coughs me up an error, so I tried to link the URLs directly. Ought've stuck around and verified that everything had worked! Cheers Vol for relaying the images :)
    My pleasure Henry

  37. #187
    1st Lieutenant
    United States

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Log Entries
    1,115
    Name
    Eric

    Default

    Henry:

    Sad to see that you are turning to ACW miniatures. I was hoping you might look toward some War of 1812 ships for the next KS.

    I do see the business reasons for it though, what with Warlord releasing their plastic 12mm ACW line. Good luck!

  38. #188
    Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Notts
    Log Entries
    17,897
    Blog Entries
    22
    Name
    Rob

    Default

    Sorry to hear that. I was also after a few more US Navy ships.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

  39. #189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Henry:

    Sad to see that you are turning to ACW miniatures. I was hoping you might look toward some War of 1812 ships for the next KS.

    I do see the business reasons for it though, what with Warlord releasing their plastic 12mm ACW line. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Sorry to hear that. I was also after a few more US Navy ships.
    Rob.
    When this new Kickstarter popped up on Facebook I was rather shocked at seeing another 3D project beginning when the Admirals KS hasn't been concluded. I have no interest in Civil War miniatures so this was more than a tad disappointing news.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

  40. #190
    Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    WA
    Log Entries
    3,702
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Sorry to hear that. I was also after a few more US Navy ships.
    Rob.
    Henry told me once he does have more Americans, primarily Continental, on the long term roadmap, and I'm trying to find him what information I can.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

  41. #191
    Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Notts
    Log Entries
    17,897
    Blog Entries
    22
    Name
    Rob

    Default

    Well that is some relief at least. All I have to do is last that long then.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

  42. #192
    Ordinary Seaman
    UK

    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    London
    Log Entries
    30
    Name
    Henry

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Henry:

    Sad to see that you are turning to ACW miniatures. I was hoping you might look toward some War of 1812 ships for the next KS.

    I do see the business reasons for it though, what with Warlord releasing their plastic 12mm ACW line. Good luck!
    Yeah I have to admit Warlord forced my hand there somewhat; I'd been working 5-6 hours a day on my naval stuff (including St Vincent) with 2 hours reserved for "experimental projects" - namely things I was interested in getting into but that were more of a risk/not necessarily viable. The plan was to build these secondary projects to completion and *then* release them, already finished, on Kickstarter.

    I'd been sculpting 15mm scale ACW infantry and had got to the point that the base models/equipment were done when Warlord announced their 13.5mm range. At first I thought I'd stick to the original plan but, once other 3D-printed ranges and crowd funding projects started springing up to ape that line, I felt I had to launch the project lest my own work be wasted by coming out at a time when the gap had already been filled.

    Fortunately the fact I'm doing this modelling work full-time has meant I've been able to accommodate both projects without falling behind, but I'd be lying if I said it weren't stressful. I hope to have both done in March and then I'll be pausing to give myself a rest for a bit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Sorry to hear that. I was also after a few more US Navy ships.
    Rob.
    I'm not sure why the both of you are assuming I won't be making any more ships! As I'd said before, the Continental Navy is my next planned Age of Admirals project, though that'll probably come after a small Gilded Sails pack, as I've not given that range any Kickstarters since the first one at the start of last year. But it must be stressed that my producing 15mm figures doesn't necessarily herald the death knell of naval projects - they're still a passion of mine and will receive work so long as they're viable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    When this new Kickstarter popped up on Facebook I was rather shocked at seeing another 3D project beginning when the Admirals KS hasn't been concluded. I have no interest in Civil War miniatures so this was more than a tad disappointing news.
    Sorry to hear that, I hope the explanation after the first quote explains sufficiently why it happened. For what it's worth, Cape St Vincent is still receiving the amount of work I'd been budgeting it from the beginning and is still ahead of schedule. Here's the most recent update showing the completed Spanish fleet, which I'm test printing this week, most likely on Tuesday.

    Currently the division of time between the two projects is 07:00-15:00 for Age of Admirals and 15:00-18:30 for the ACW figures on weekdays, with the weekends being reserved for attending to whatever tasks from either project seem particularly pressing. This is almost identical to the work balance I'd been maintaining before announcing the ACW Kickstarter, back when it was just a side project. I can't deny that energy's obviously been expended in marketing the second KS but otherwise it's very much the status quo. With the funding window closing today, all should be back to normal and I believe I'll be sending out the files for the Spanish ships within the next two weeks and beginning work on the British at the end of this week. I should think everyone will have the core models by March, with the stretch goals (in the form of the digital files) following not too long after.


    If I might reiterate, I'm sorry if the news of my working on other projects alongside this one is disappointing, and I certainly understand how one might hold fears that it means a division of attention/labour, but Cape St Vincent is still progressing as intended and I'm documenting all that in the weekly updates. There's certainly no basis for assuming that any diversification of what products I offer means that I'm discontinuing any work on ships! Ideally I should have liked to have released the ACW content pre-completed, with only the stretch goals requiring fulfillment, but that plan was sort of rushed out of the gate by Warlord's launching of their line and my not wanting to waste the work I'd already created. If you want to monitor progress more closely, I'm fairly regularly posting pictures of each day's work on the Facebook page.
    Last edited by HenryTurner; 01-24-2021 at 03:05.

  43. #193
    Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Notts
    Log Entries
    17,897
    Blog Entries
    22
    Name
    Rob

    Default

    Thanks for the update Henry. I'm sure that will put a few minds at rest. The down side is that I already have a huge ACW army in 15 so will not be changing scales.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

  44. #194
    Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Log Entries
    3,074
    Name
    David

    Default

    Henry, people want ships NOW!!!!! (except for Tim of course).

    Wargamers are never satisfied, and are worse when their favourite project isn't at the top of the suppliers "to do" list

  45. #195
    Ordinary Seaman
    UK

    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    London
    Log Entries
    30
    Name
    Henry

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Henry, people want ships NOW!!!!! (except for Tim of course).

    Wargamers are never satisfied, and are worse when their favourite project isn't at the top of the suppliers "to do" list
    It mostly is, though :( It's receiving the same amount of time as it has been since the get-go. I can only assume I've done a bad job thus far of representing how I've been portioning out my work. Suffice to say, though, where there has been a need to do extra work on the ACW stuff, it's been at the expense of my free time rather than the main KS project. So it'd be somewhat disappointing should be people come away thinking I'd shifted Age of Admirals to a secondary priority or something!

    The unfortunate truth is that I found myself in a situation where an inauspiciously-timed release on the part of a competitor made me feel that what work I'd invested in a side project would be squandered if I didn't push it forward, which has resulted in a rather hectic recent few weeks.

  46. #196
    Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Log Entries
    3,074
    Name
    David

    Default

    I feel your pain, I'm in the same situation with one of my projects, but I'm dependent on someone else doing something essential before we can proceed. Frustrating, but hopefully forging ahead soon to catch up.

  47. #197
    1st Lieutenant
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Maryland
    Log Entries
    1,370
    Blog Entries
    13
    Name
    Dobbs

    Default

    I think you're doing a great job, Henry. It seems to me that you're right on schedule or ahead. It makes sense that in order to make a living doing this sort of thing, one needs to have multiple irons in the fire. Keep up the good work!

  48. #198

    Default

    Henry, thank you for taking the time to reassure us that your work on the Admirals KS is not being negatively impacted by your Civil War work. I have enough Kickstarter experience to know that when crowdfunding projects start to diversify or are side tracked before completion there will often be negative consequences.

    Your stated confidence in finishing the work on Admirals (and your regular updates on Facebook) are very helpful. Thanks again.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

  49. #199
    Ordinary Seaman
    UK

    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    London
    Log Entries
    30
    Name
    Henry

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    I feel your pain, I'm in the same situation with one of my projects, but I'm dependent on someone else doing something essential before we can proceed. Frustrating, but hopefully forging ahead soon to catch up.
    I suppose I'm not much of a team player - so I have to say you have my empathy there, there's nothing worse than having the outcome of your project be reliant on another person. Wishing you luck with getting caught up and I hope it's not causing you many sleepless nights :/

    Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    I think you're doing a great job, Henry. It seems to me that you're right on schedule or ahead. It makes sense that in order to make a living doing this sort of thing, one needs to have multiple irons in the fire. Keep up the good work!
    Thanks :) Though it's not wholly a business concern, really, the side projects started out simply as a sort of means of "productive recreation" - don't get me wrong, I enjoy modelling ships and am grateful to be finally doing it as my means of living but when you're engaged in creative work like designing models you want to try new things/be challenged. With more than 50 ships under my belt now, to be honest, they're something I can build almost on auto-pilot. Actually trying to sculpt human models, on the other hand, is something that's actually quite scary/intimidating and has required learning a hell of a lot of new stuff!

    I want to keep building ships, and I think they'll remain what I'm known for/serve as my bread and butter, but it's something that has to be complemented by other ranges (be they infantry, tanks, scenery kits - I'm even thinking of a Fantasy 28mm line in the future) simply to keep me on my toes, learning and generally feeling engaged with 3D design :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Henry, thank you for taking the time to reassure us that your work on the Admirals KS is not being negatively impacted by your Civil War work. I have enough Kickstarter experience to know that when crowdfunding projects start to diversify or are side tracked before completion there will often be negative consequences.

    Your stated confidence in finishing the work on Admirals (and your regular updates on Facebook) are very helpful. Thanks again.
    I think the fears are well-founded - I'd be lying if I said that I didn't think the optics of launching a second KS before the first is completed certainly look bad. Ultimately it was a decision that had to be made as a result of weighing up what I'd already built, what the competition was doing and how much time I could commit.

    Ultimately, though, I think the final reassurance you guys can take is that the ACW KS' information said from the get-go that the ultimate project deadline was July and that Age of Admirals took priority over it. So any slack that has to be given/any falls in productivity will affect the newer project first.

    But I don't think it'll come to that - I'm working full-time on all this and I'm happy with the progress being made so far :) I hope to be posting back with the test print photos shortly.

  50. #200
    Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    WA
    Log Entries
    3,702
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryTurner View Post
    I want to keep building ships, and I think they'll remain what I'm known for/serve as my bread and butter, but it's something that has to be complemented by other ranges (be they infantry, tanks, scenery kits - I'm even thinking of a Fantasy 28mm line in the future) simply to keep me on my toes, learning and generally feeling engaged with 3D design :)
    If you could get sufficient reference material, would forts and fortresses be possibilities for additional challenges? I've been trying to get Ares to consider special Scenario Packs with fort/shore battery/installation miniatures, and even 3d versions of the existing Terrain Pack pieces, and it seems to me that having you do the engineering would be an opportunity for both you and them.

    Man, I wish we had this kinda capability ten years ago and I coulda found a designer up for a private project... I had a special only-two-built version of the EA-6B Prowler I had wanted to build but nobody makes a conversion for the VEP birds' special wing and tail mods, and ditto with an A-6F Intruder II prototype but the only conversion part-set had been extinct for a good 10-15 years before the idea entered my head.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •