Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 3D Ship Files / Kickstarter

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

At least with this, when you print your own and it comes out off scale, there's the ability to type in a correction and get it right, unlike Minigildos and Baby Baham one way or Roid Rage Constitution the other...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Here is an easy scale converter you can use to determine how long the model needs to be. Just plug in the desired scale and actual feet or meters of the ship, and it will give you inches or milimeters the model should to be.

https://www.ginifab.com/feeds/cm_to_...converter.html
    It's not that hard in metric. X meters is X millimeters in 1:1000...

Is it time to have a sticky thread for 3D Printing?

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Could be. Before Henry I didn't think there were much competition from 3D-printing. Now there's many hulls definitely worth printing. He does wonderful work. I still think there's a lack of masts and sails worth the resin. It almost makes me want to model them myself. It's 30 years since I left CATIA behind an moved from mechanical engineering to software...

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I haven't bothered printing any of the available masts (save for those on a L'Ocean, which were reasonably well modelled). I'm putting off doing the rigging though as I'd want to do it *right* and that is a PITA.

I'd love some properly proportioned spars and yards - for my tastes as separate (the mast), and (the yards) so a realistic set of sail can be flown, and unused yards can be dropped to their seats, with only set sails (and some of those clewed up) hauled up. (I have some in larger scales though, so this is both needing more detail/better form, and also rewarding a more thorough job on rigging..)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If you chaps can come up with a realistic guide to Printing I will be happy to stick it for you. it could go into the "How to" forum.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I think I could write it, but I'm not sure what I would add in that thread. I would definately have forgottn to mention about removing the build plate if it hadn't been asked.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Lieste View Post
    I haven't bothered printing any of the available masts (save for those on a L'Ocean, which were reasonably well modelled). I'm putting off doing the rigging though as I'd want to do it *right* and that is a PITA.

I'd love some properly proportioned spars and yards - for my tastes as separate (the mast), and (the yards) so a realistic set of sail can be flown, and unused yards can be dropped to their seats, with only set sails (and some of those clewed up) hauled up. (I have some in larger scales though, so this is both needing more detail/better form, and also rewarding a more thorough job on rigging..)
    Definately! Right now I use Sails of Glory masts which aren't the best, but at least they're consistent in my fleet.

As propotionate you can make them for printing. At least I'd make them tapered. Bulging sails that don't stick to the mast at the lower end for no reason at all (other than possibly for ease of printing).

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am doing the same Jonas. I am using up my SoG spare masts, but have ordered three Ares Frigates specially to get the masts for your Swedish printed ones. the hulls of those will do for more foundering ships.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    I think I could write it, but I'm not sure what I would add in that thread. I would definately have forgottn to mention about removing the build plate if it hadn't been asked.
    Might be worth getting together with the other printer chaps by PM and see if they are interested in helping to formulate something then Jonas.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I am doing the same Jonas. I am using up my SoG spare masts, but have ordered three Ares Frigates specially to get the masts for your Swedish printed ones. the hulls of those will do for more foundering ships.

Rob.
    Let me know when they arrive. They set out last week. There should be favorable winds.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I will do that Captain.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Just wanted to mention that I asked Henry Turner If there will be any more ships of our era coming up.

The last ship of the Kickstarter, HMS Magnanimie, will be finished in about a week.

He mentioned that his ACW range (15mm figures) is mostly done. His foray into Napoleonics (6mm figures) will be mostly done during summer. He hope to extend his Gilded Sails 17th century ships and has apparently committed himself to eventually covering the Continental Navy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Continental Navy is good news Jonas.
    Pity it is just about the time mine are nearly completed. Still I expect I will be tempted when I see his.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I’m not personally that attracted to it and there will be a lot of small vessels that will be outside of the scope of Sails of Glory, but I know many of you here are interested.

I personally would want to see two British second rates, the British large 74 and the Swedish Wasa-class third rate.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As requested Jonas I can now report that ships docked about an hour ago. They are now residing in the Quarintine dock for 72 hours.
    Many thanks for this present.

Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Good to hear, Rob!

I hope they arrived safely and isn't in need of repairs, but we´ll know that when they leave Quarantine dock.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

Hello chaps!

I'm very sorry that I up and disappeared - I've been busy with the prep work for the new Kickstarter (just launched today but I'm afraid it's figure-based not naval; so not liable to be of interest!).

In honesty I am still having issues receiving notifications of replies to this thread; they seem to go straight to spam. I do check my spambox every so often, and I've had the idea that I need to check back here periodically on my mind, but it wasn't until Diamondback got in touch with me a few days ago that I felt a bit of a kick up the jacksie to come back! I daresay I've missed a bit :o

For what it's worth, if any of you ever need to reach me semi-urgently, do feel free to get in touch at turnerminiatures@gmail.com - I will admit I can sometimes be a bit slow getting back if I've got my hands full, but you'll most certainly be on my radar in that case!

One thing I want to add that's come to mind since our discussion about the ships being, err, sticky - since moving out of my old digs and getitng to a place where I had much more room, I've invested in an Elegoo Wash & Cure Station and I have to say to those of you who're printing who don't have something similar - get one! The quality of life improvement has been incredible; stuff gets washed and cured without me ever having to come into contact with raw resin. I wish I'd had that machine when fulfilling your physical orders as it wouldn't made things A. Much easier for me and B. Much more hygenic for you :/

Could be. Before Henry I didn't think there were much competition from 3D-printing. Now there's many hulls definitely worth printing. He does wonderful work. I still think there's a lack of masts and sails worth the resin. It almost makes me want to model them myself. It's 30 years since I left CATIA behind an moved from mechanical engineering to software...

Masts are an area I need to work on - I do have the Generic Mast Set on Wargaming3D, which has single-piece and two-piece masts, but they're very much, err, "for the wargamer." I've had the idea of modelling sails with actual details sculpted on them, separate "proper" fighting tops and separate furled sails to be glued on scratchbuilt yards, etc. but I have to confess that the material incentive hasn't really been there for me.

That is to say that, in an opportunity cost sense, working on a kit of such masts that'd probably sell for something like $3 and maybe make $60 total doesn't work out :/ Buuuut perhaps it might be doable as a paid add-on for the Continental Navy KS, when that comes about? Something like $10 extra for "proper" masts for the whole fleet.

I'm sorry to ramble but this leads me into a sort of misconception I had going into all this - I'd thought that my models, when I started, would be tailoring to wargamers as substitutes for Black Seas ships but I've found more and more that people solely focussed on wargaming will buy one ship of each type (usually the cheapest) and leave it at that. My most consistent customers have been more the "collector" types - so it may well make sense to start catering more toward collector's interests. A lot of people think my models are too fragile for wargaming anyway (the cannons are a smidge prone to snapping off with clumsy handling!).

Quote Originally Posted by Lieste View Post

My Baltic Bulwarks had separate yardarms, but nobody used them :/ At the time I was much more inexperienced with modelling masts and so found it demoralising as it had been something like two days' solid work to make them! I'm sure that now I could knock them out within a day but, still, one would need to know there was widespread appeal and it wasn't for the sake of a handful. Because it wouldn't really feel conscionable to charge top money for.... masts and sails.

If you chaps can come up with a realistic guide to Printing I will be happy to stick it for you. it could go into the "How to" forum.

Rob.
    A useful links section might be good? I really recommend Wargaming3D's "Idiot's Guide to 3D Printing."

Just wanted to mention that I asked Henry Turner If there will be any more ships of our era coming up.

The last ship of the Kickstarter, HMS Magnanimie, will be finished in about a week.

He mentioned that his ACW range (15mm figures) is mostly done. His foray into Napoleonics (6mm figures) will be mostly done during summer. He hope to extend his Gilded Sails 17th century ships and has apparently committed himself to eventually covering the Continental Navy.
    This is all correct :)

A rough guesstimate vis-a-vis my likely release cycle:

Nappies: Today
    Cold War Figures: August/September
    Gilded Sails 2 (17th Century Bourbon Navy): Late Summer/Early Autumn; probably late September/Early October
    Continental Navy: November/December

While we're discussing the Cape St Vincent set, Tecsas (sorry if I've spelt that wrong) hit me with the lovely idea of adapting Rayo, the sister ship of Fenix, into her three-decker variant - might make for a quick model I can put out using the same basis! I'll be putting the idea to my Patreon patrons when we have our monthly ship poll (they vote on a ship for me to make each month)

I’m not personally that attracted to it and there will be a lot of small vessels that will be outside of the scope of Sails of Glory, but I know many of you here are interested.

I personally would want to see two British second rates, the British large 74 and the Swedish Wasa-class third rate.
    I would like to do a Swedish mini-Kickstarter some time; I'd thought about doing one revolving around Af-Chapman.

Oh and by the way, Jonas, I finally saw Rob's PM - no objections here! Glad you were able to spot him a Bellona; she's a nice little ship :)

Quote Originally Posted by HenryTurner View Post
    Hello chaps!
    snip
    No problem here. I could use that idiots guide to 3d printing now that I have a printer.

I see that you put a lot of work into the Napoleonics KS. I got on early enough today but sadly work pulled me away and I missed the Early Bird Whole Lot pledge. Got in on the core set. Most interested in the German minor states. Fingers crossed all the stretch goals are met!!

I also got in on another Napoleonic KS - 1815 British Center and Flank Companies by David Vasquez (He is a pro painter so his figures look great). He has already done French and is concentrating on the 100 days. The figures are scaled more for 15-18mm. Take a look at his skirmish poses.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

You have already started a little with af Chapman as you made the Bellona-class frigates. I'm very thankful for that, but an extended mini-kickstarter would be wonderful.

I'm spelled Tecsas on Facebook as they for an unknown reason don't allow Texas as a given name. I don't mind.

It's great to hear from you, and I hope you return to the Age of Admirals as soon as you can.

Regarding the sails, I'm not sure what would be the best solution as they are a bit fragile for wargamers when printed. I just bought a "tough" resin so I will see what difference that makes.

Regarding your figures, I think there's a few general wargamers here that have had their forays into that area too. Myself I have a few different eras and scales but unfortunately you haven't hit those yet. Being able to print more troops as I need them for the growing armies would be a dream, especially with the ability to customize them as you showed in your video. Turning heads and making the ranks a bit more alive is just great.

I fully understand that you have to make a living out of it too.

My idea for Rayo was based on that many want to be able to do Trafalgar and she was there. Just a single ship to print for the wargamers but there's not many ways to get her.

If I'm guessing right you still put up the Patreon ships on Wargaming3D, perhaps after a while to give Patreons exclusivity for a while.

I thought of joining, but as my interest lies with the Naval Napoleonics I'm not sure how much of that I'd get.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I'm spelled Tecsas on Facebook as they for an unknown reason don't allow Texas as a given name. I don't mind..
    Probably because in Silicon Valley the very name of the state of Texas is considered "hate-think". *snort*

Henry, if you ever get a US printing partner on W3D and get the 1/1000 Nepomuceno posted there, I'm looking at a fleet for myself since Ares will almost certainly never replace their Oops sculpt, plus eight more Purisima Concepcions unless you or Simon have a Meregildos up your sleeves. Assuming I don't get my crap together and find room in my craphole studio and budget for my own printer and curing station first... but that's looking a ways over the horizon.

A note on basing: For the ships I intend as "Ares Direct Replacements," my plan is to glue a line of #6 steel washers (bigger ones for the three-deckers) straight down the centerline, putty around the edges and then magnets inside the base's bottom cavity. Others, I'm gonna have to find a source for Ares-style bases; I have a neighbor in the glass business whose brain I'm picking about ideas for lids.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Probably because in Silicon Valley the very name of the state of Texas is considered "hate-think". *snort*
    That's curious since many of those folks are moving to Texas.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

For a particular period and nation, you would need only 2 bowsprit proportions, 2 foremast proportions, 2 main mast proportions and 2 mizen proportions, along with their proportionate yards. The scale of these then is set by either 1) beam or 2) beam and GD length or the ship in question (or the standard for that rate). It isn't necessary to craft a set for each ship directly. (The two scales are for rated ships and ship sloops - some very 'off brand' non-establishment ships might have a variation on these, but the shaping of yards and spars is largely consistent even if their details differ - a parametric model file would be useful to ease scaling all masts from a single prototype and all yards from a single example without too much error).
    Because we can scale length independently from thickness this can be set to give 'proper' proportions, and allow 'upscaling' thickness at print time if desired, if the parts are separate.
    I looked at the 1/600 scale sparring for Resolutions (iirc), and it had some problems for easy use - first the foremast was missing from the mast file, second, all the parts were present in different "layers" obliquely set to the base, as a single file. This means that it isn't possible to without messing around get all of the yards 'close to' the build plate to minimise printing time and reduce waste on an FDM printer. This isn't insurmountable, but I haven't yet printed that hull, so for now I have not done anything more than look at the masting options in the slicer.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Henry, if you ever get a US printing partner on W3D and get the 1/1000 Nepomuceno posted there, I'm looking at a fleet for myself since Ares will almost certainly never replace their Oops sculpt, plus eight more Purisima Concepcions unless you or Simon have a Meregildos up your sleeves.
    Simon have a Meregildos. I haven't gotten past the 74/80s yet, but I have them waiting. And a few San Jose...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by HenryTurner View Post

Oh and by the way, Jonas, I finally saw Rob's PM - no objections here! Glad you were able to spot him a Bellona; she's a nice little ship :)
    You should now have my payment Henry. I sent you a Paypal.

Thanks.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Just an observation, for a first 3d-printed ship to assemble the Purisima Concepcion is very forgiving--no details right on top of the mast sockets to get in the way, and solid structure. I suggest starting the expansion drilling if needed on mast sockets from the bottom of the model for the LD and UD holes, and just enough to score the FC/poop but not fully break through then "finish drill" from the top.

Canadas, though, look like they have to be unrafted and then taken bottom-up all the way through.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I'm having a go at pushing the boundaries of the possible - having made a small number of 1:1000 scale FDM prints to an acceptable quality, I have set a small batch of 1mm= 9ft prints going. These are mostly as 'scale' placeholders for an analysis of gunnery/ballistics at a 'convenient' size for commercial printer papers, with the original 1/333 and 1/1000 prints I have needing 'floor' distances to work with.

Curious to see how they look, but the preview in Cura was promising. A mix of model sources, but mostly Henry's 1/700 FDM or Resin Sculpts with a modest horizontal expansion term in the slicer to preserve thin walls.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

And... not horrible. A Martello tower, Bounty, Surprise, Concorde, Canada (upscaled to 105.25% for proper length), Sovereign of the Seas (1637), Victory and L'Ocean, all distinctly recognisable and with visible lanterns, guns and deck furntiture (Capstans, Bells etc, as well as rails and other feaures).

An 0.4mm nozzle means some of this detail is a little soft, and most slightly overscale, but there is a usable result.
    Masting will be "fun", and I'll have to figure out how to open up the holes to receive them with almost no room to work, but they will certainly serve their intended purpose and took only a few minutes 'per' and less than 1.5g of filament even for the L'Ocean.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That certainly is pushing the bounds David.
    I look forward to seeing your results.

Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Camera is down for now, recharging, but it might struggle with focus and resolution of something this small.. I'll try anyway once it is up.

For now I am drawing up sail plans for Victory, which will be followed by looking for suitable material to make up masts, and maybe some simplified rigging to help stabilize everything.

For these small ones, I might even find myself minded to undercoat by brush, rather than adding them to the pool of unpainted because I have no aerosol primer and I *hate* priming.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have also run out of primer and although Halfords is great for castle walls as it has a slight grain in it for ships it would make them look like Shapeways aircraft. Just talking to number one son who worked for Games Workshop many years ago, and he tells me they have been out of primer for months now.

Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Not the worlds best photo, but these are the 1:2743 FDM 0.4mm prints, still attached to their support/brim material.

From front.:
    Victory
    Sovereign of the Seas
    L'Ocean
    Canada
    Concord
    Surprise (Carronade)
    Bounty

Martello Tower to right, the other one I had I misplaced out of the build area when I dragged the wrong control handle and sent it 2m 'up in the air' to leave only the little type.

Name:  20210530_124534.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  88.8 KB

There is enough detail to put paint on... how well they look when painted... well that remains to be seen.

Not too shabby for models less than 27mm long though (L'Ocean).
    Last edited by Lieste; 05-30-2021 at 06:23.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I have also run out of primer and although Halfords is great for castle walls as it has a slight grain in it for ships it would make them look like Shapeways aircraft. Just talking to number one son who worked for Games Workshop many years ago, and he tells me they have been out of primer for months now.

Rob.
    If you can get Vallejo, in a pinch 862 Black Gray makes an okay primer substitute sometimes.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks David.
    They prove that small boats and bombs are viable in 1000 scale with plenty of detail.

Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Thanks David.
    They prove that small boats and bombs are viable in 1000 scale with plenty of detail.

Rob.
    True, the limiter for Ares is economical manufacturing capability. Us diehards are willing to pay more and resort to 3d printing than guys who target a $10-or-less pricepoint and need large-scale mass production with injection molding.

As an aside, if the Ares SGN104 sculpt is about 52mm over posts measured just below the gunports, we have a Large 74 off-the-shelf just needing repapering. (Though within the Invincible family, the Common 74 Dublin was only ~1.5m shorter, Bellona was 51m, and the Cullodens (last revision of the Common branch) grew as big as Triumph/Valiant and their French parent. If the model's up around 55-56mm (which is what Temeraire and many Gautier 74's should measure) it's more suitable for 1798 Kent/Ajax but needs an enclosed gallery.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Sent a mail to the second ship designer Simon Mann, this evening, he is currently finishing off another Spanish ship in between some other work, then he is giving sails a rest for a few months. He did say he would be back with a couple more Spanish ships later this year, then some RN ships, including the Mars class, hurrah for me as well as the Neptune class 2nd rates. So the future looking good as well as new masts from Henry, happy days
    Last edited by Capn Duff; 07-20-2021 at 02:28.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Have him drop a post here when he launches his next Kickstarter if he's gonna offer it in 1:1000 too. More players in the game means we all win, because it allows each to do things the others aren't doing. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Sent a mail to the second ship designer Simon Mann, this evening, he is currently finishing off another Spanish ship in between some other work, then he is giving sails a r3t for a few months. He did say he would be back with a couple more Spanish ships later this year, then some RN ships, including the Mars class, hurrah for me as well as the Neptune class 2nd rates. So the future looking good as well as new masts from Henry, happy days
    I have to try Simon's ships. Masts are the only part of Henry's ships I have printed! I have some of the ACW figures though. Tried to rescale for another project but they were too thin and bendy, so I ended up making my own masts in MS 3d builder. I found that large scale WWII ships still need masts!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Great news Chris.
    As I have cobbled together the Second Rates from Ares models, it will mean that I have all the masts I will need for the new ships as I replace the old ones.

Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Hi Eric, yes I agree ref the masts, i am using the masts he provided and they are quite thin, as I recently found, p,us they are a good5-10mm shorter in comparison to Ares, side by side the Spanish hulls from Henry and Simon dwarf Ares but Ares masts are significantly taller, so I have ended up making a small collar to fit on the end of the mast, a piece of 2mm plastic tube which has raised the height.
    Yes is now bulkier at base of mast but once painted and rigged I am hoping it will not be noticeable, I will post a couple of pics this week to illustrate.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Henry just released his remade sails and masts. They are better than any other 3Dprint sails I've seen, but still has the wrong shape of the actual sails. Sails of Glory really did one thing great. That is the shape of the sails billowing.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for the Heads Up Jonas. They certainly look a better bet than the split ones. Very easy to strengthen that lower bast in several ways.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Thanks for that Jonas, will be ordering that later today, still waiting for my packages to arrive, this afternoon some time.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Had a mail from Simon Mann today, the Spanish ship he is currently working on is the San Joaquin, so look out for that one soon

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

It’s always good to have more ships, but I’m not sure what use I’d have of that class. Perhaps DB could enlighten us on other ships those could stand in for.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

Hello to everyone, new to the board :)

Chris (Capn Duff) contacted me (Simon Mann) about future ships and it encouraged me to finish the final parts of the San Joaquin class (1771+) model to represent the 5 ships of the class.
    Here's the high hull resin version. It has about 2mm (at 1:700 scale) kept just below the waterline so that it can be mounted on a rough/choppy sea base without losing the lower gundeck ports to waves.
    This will print in resin between 1:700 and 1:1200 so should also be fine to print at 1:1000.
    Anyway I'll try and get a test print completed shortly and then pop it up on wargaming3d.com.

Name:  san-joaqiun-1.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  70.0 KB
    Name:  san-joaqiun-2.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  49.2 KB
    Name:  san-joaqiun-3.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  50.7 KB

Note, the San Justo as used at trafalgar has virtually identical hull lines according to my sources, with only the bow mainly below the waterline being slightly more rounded and the stern being slightly shorter/wider at the extreme with a more vertical pointing rudder.

Cheers
    Simon
    Mann O'War Miniatures
    Last edited by T1ckL35; 07-21-2021 at 07:46. Reason: adding missed bit

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

It’s always good to have more ships, but I’m not sure what use I’d have of that class. Perhaps DB could enlighten us on other ships those could stand in for.
    Previously I'd suggested using Nepomuceno, but a bang-on San Joaquin sculpt is always better.

Quote Originally Posted by T1ckL35 View Post
    Hello to everyone, new to the board :)

Chris (Capn Duff) contacted me (Simon Mann) about future ships and it encouraged me to finish the final parts of the San Joaquin class (1771+) model to represent the 5 ships of the class.
    Here's the high hull resin version. It has about 2mm (at 1:700 scale) kept just below the waterline so that it can be mounted on a rough/choppy sea base without losing the lower gundeck ports to waves.
    This will print in resin between 1:700 and 1:1200 so should also be fine to print at 1:1000.
    Anyway I'll try and get a test print completed shortly and then pop it up on wargaming3d.com.
    Welcome aboard, Simon! I'm one of our historical gurus here for ferreting out blueprints, and the later Gautier 74's have been evading me like they owe me money trying to figure out if there's *anything* we can plausibly pass that backbirthed abortion Ares gave us and called "Bahama" as. What information I have available has largely been assembled into this thread, if it helps: https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....e-Spanish-74-s The Spanish usually had more variation within a nominal class than their British and French counterparts; while Sane or Slade would crank out a batch of say five or six then rework for the next variant, like how almost all of Slade's common 74's were basically just variations on 1744 L'Invincible, Gautier and the Spanish shipwrights would tinker with design from ship to ship so you had less truly identical members within the same class.

Don't forget to take ThreeDecks numbers with a grain of salt unless you have independent confirmation; they're typo- and transcription-error-ridden, so the only things I trust without hesitation are numbers sourced from BWAS/FWAS and the unpublished SWAS manuscript.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Welcome Simon, glad you decided to join us, if you need anything just say and someone may be able to assist.
    I look forward to seeing the finished San Joachim when completed

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It is a great pleasure to meet you on our Forum Simon.
    I guess youy have read my welcome message in your PMs.
    Those hulls of yours are beauties, and suddenly we are no longer losing the will to carry on, with the promise of things to come. I hope that you will enjoy ferreting amongst our files and posts, and that we can all benefit from each others expertise.
    May you always sail with a fair wind at your back.

Rob.