Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 3D Ship Files / Kickstarter

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Like Chris said, anything we can do to help get more ships pushed off the ways just pop smoke. Or put up a flare, or whatever the day's equivalent was...

"Help will always be given to those who ask for it."
    Yikes, did *I* just quote from the Harry Potter movies? *grabs bottle of vinegar to wash bad taste out of mouth*
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

Hi guys and thanks for the welcome.

Diamondback: yes indeed definitely much more variation in the Spanish sterns compared to other nations!

Having looked at the postings I can see that the next two ships on my Spanish list might be in need here, the Bahama and Rayo. I already have some plans from a while ago but any extra ones that people have or that I can cross reference with would be much appreciated.
    Can't guarantee when I will crack on with them but they definitely will get done
    Last edited by T1ckL35; 07-21-2021 at 14:01. Reason: Emojis didn't work

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Bahama in particular is a nightmare--the onlyt drawing Greenwich has is as a prison hulk, and she saw major changes in length and beam both when she was taken down as a 64 and rebuilt up into a 74. Ares's model has a 74's shape but a 64's size--if memory serves the 64 version should be about 49mm on LGD, the 74 version around 52 or 53.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Well, as usual I'll probably buy most of the ships in the end. It's not very expensive to buy the .stl-files and I can print as many ships as I want. From Ares sadly a single ship costs more.

This means that I will pay for a sculpt, even if it's just for a single ship. San Justo means I will get this one.

I have had no problems printing Simon's ships in 1:1000.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

As you may have gathered Simon, we are a bit starved of ships for our game, unfortunately the last sets of official made ships were on the small side which is why we are slowly replacing with sculpts from yourself and Henry.
    As Jonas has said, I also will purchase new ships to replace the ones that are not, shall we say the size we expected, and the sculpts being made now with the 3d printing certainly are exceptional, well to me at least. Even more since I now have my own printer.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Also, Simon, if you sign any licensing agreements with anybody over in the US, please shout--some of us are in poor position to make space for a printer and thus have to subcontract that work. :(
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Quote Originally Posted by T1ckL35 View Post
    Hello to everyone, new to the board :)

Chris (Capn Duff) contacted me (Simon Mann) about future ships and it encouraged me to finish the final parts of the San Joaquin class (1771+) model to represent the 5 ships of the class.
    Here's the high hull resin version. It has about 2mm (at 1:700 scale) kept just below the waterline so that it can be mounted on a rough/choppy sea base without losing the lower gundeck ports to waves.
    This will print in resin between 1:700 and 1:1200 so should also be fine to print at 1:1000.
    Anyway I'll try and get a test print completed shortly and then pop it up on wargaming3d.com.

Attachment 55244
    Attachment 55245
    Attachment 55246

Note, the San Justo as used at trafalgar has virtually identical hull lines according to my sources, with only the bow mainly below the waterline being slightly more rounded and the stern being slightly shorter/wider at the extreme with a more vertical pointing rudder.

Cheers
    Simon
    Mann O'War Miniatures
    Welcome Simon! Nice to see you here!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Hi guys and thanks for the welcome.

Diamondback: yes indeed definitely much more variation in the Spanish sterns compared to other nations!

Having looked at the postings I can see that the next two ships on my Spanish list might be in need here, the Bahama and Rayo. I already have some plans from a while ago but any extra ones that people have or that I can cross reference with would be much appreciated.
    Can't guarantee when I will crack on with them but they definitely will get done
    Rayo is definately high on my list. That will be bought. Bahama will probably be bought, but now I have my half finished substitute... It'll be like my old Santissima. It may be less than correct but it has sentimental value to me. It will be a while before I substitute my Indefatigable... but I have the file.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

Hi again (and Vol) :)

So I can't remember where I got this plan from but it appears to be a nicely tidied up Bahama one from it's 74 gun layout. Quite likely a modern redrawing of the admiralty plans.
    I've got a little time to play with this so have started drawing the inner lines. If I look into the 64 gun variant then it will probably be a case of comparing the San Leandro lines with other similar aged or earlier 60/64 plans and with these - mainly to get a better feel for how they compare. I've also got the dimensions as referenced on threedecks.org and 3decks.pbworks.com so it should give a better idea for the overall length of each variant (if true).
    I'll also probably cross reference the lines with the San Ildefonso/Montanes to see how close they were

No licencing deals as yet though Diamondback

Name:  Selection_752.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  138.4 KB

Cheers
    Simon

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

My understanding is Bahama as-launched was a straight repeat-build to the same plans of the elder San Pedro Alcantara. (The second 64 by that name was a San Fulgencio, basically an Ildefonso scaled down on a ratio of 49/52.) The gallery on that drawing looks almost identical to the prison-hulk draught at Greenwich.

The Madrid archives are downright maddening in their incomplete attributions, you need a table of exact measurements of every ship they built and even then that only "narrows the field." Researching the Armada has been the bane of my existence since before this game even got out of Kickstarter...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

Yes you are right, I've just been looking over my older notes again to refresh and it was the older alcantara that sank with a horde of treasure.
    I'll overlay the lines from this plan with the ildefonso ones to get a better feel for the rebuild modifications. Should be interesting.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Yes you are right, I've just been looking over my older notes again to refresh and it was the older alcantara that sank with a horde of treasure.
    I'll overlay the lines from this plan with the ildefonso ones to get a better feel for the rebuild modifications. Should be interesting.
    That would be an interesting comparison to see. At first I thought Bahama had been rebuilt up to Ildefonso spec since that was the "standard design" at that time, but in comparison for the drawings I found, to my eye the rake of her stern looked more like an enclosed version of San Joaquin or maybe San Fermin--not really a good fit to group with either Nepomuceno or Ildefonso. Still looking for anything on San Miguel and San Antonio to try to trace the evolution of the Spanish 74...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

Funny you should mention a similarity to the San Joaquin - I created a new file for the lines from the San Joaquin one I had previously done. Dropping the Bahama plan in on the Joaquin lines shows that for the most part above the waterline, they are almost an exact match except for the extra pinching in at the stern nearer the water line and much narrower top rear, and the much sharper cutting bow shape. I'll also look to drop in the San Ildefonso and Montanes lines in to see if there are also similarities.

Name:  Selection_753.png
Views: 1404
Size:  309.5 KB

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

Thinking about it, maybe it makes more sense as on the following page it states that 'San Joaquín (originally begun as San Pedro de Alcántara) 70 (launched 14 June 1771 at Cartagena) - BU 1817'.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._line_of_Spain

The actual finished San Pedro de Alcántara that sunk with the treasure was built in Cuba in 1770 so the Joaquin may well be the natural descendant.

On top of that for the Bahama - 'She was built in Havana on plans originally drawn by Ignacio Mullan for the 64-gun San Pedro de Alcantara' so we could theoretically have a circular relationship to the lines which explains a number of similarities - but also differences with the spanish tweaking the designs between builds
    From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanis..._Bahama_(1784)

Very interesting :)

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

San Joaquin is also up into the mid-50's range for length, if memory serves 1770 SPdA was down in the 47-49m band more common to 64's.

As I keep saying, we REALLY need for Seaforth to get Winfield's book on the Spanish pushed down the ways--if I found myself having to bet my life on the answer to a question concerning these ships, Rif Winfield is the first person on my Phone-A-Friend list. I've learned to be wary of Wikipedia data without a cited primary source--at one time their entry on 1806 HMS Revenge cited her as being a copy of a French Temeraire.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

Yes, definitely a case of not taking the information as definite. I try and cross check things but have limited access to historical resources.
    I have previously been in contact with someone with a lot of reference material for the Spanish ships of the time so will try getting back in contact to see if he can root some more information out for these ships or at least be able to confirm/refute the wiki claims

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

So here is some progress on the Bahama. It has a much narrower bow quite like the San Juan Nepomuceno but narrower still below the waterline. The stern is much more along the lines of the San Joaquin being a bit wider higher up. The general hull below the waterline is slimmer with similarities to the Nepomuceno again but generally narrower towards the keel.
    Just some observations when comparing against different vessels.
    I've gone with a Spanish style stern and hull tops, being a mix of different classes rather than the British shape on the plans.

Name:  018FAED0-6A10-4CF5-BCC2-2D4BECA7F9D3.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  38.0 KB

Name:  09306A6C-BC9E-4EBB-9D1E-7C8A187C584E.jpeg
Views: 524
Size:  20.0 KB

Name:  888580B7-2320-4E4E-BA56-EACC9781960C.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  43.3 KB
    Last edited by T1ckL35; 08-01-2021 at 13:34.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Looking good, it is great to see these ships taking shape, I am just starting on a Montannes class so please keep em coming

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Yes, definitely a case of not taking the information as definite. I try and cross check things but have limited access to historical resources.
    I have previously been in contact with someone with a lot of reference material for the Spanish ships of the time so will try getting back in contact to see if he can root some more information out for these ships or at least be able to confirm/refute the wiki claims
    Pretty much all I've had to work with for Ares is Threedecks, Winfield's books and what draughts Greenwich has scanned and posted. Shoot me a PM if there's something I can look up in BWAS or FWAS--I have the Russian volume too, but it's not up to the standard of the others.

A little fine-tuning and once it's done I could see your Bahama easily bumping the Ares two to Archival Storage... though I imagine we in general and myself in particular as their left-in-limbo historical consultant are not exactly beloved around HQ at the moment.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

That is nice! From her hull shape I would think that her bow would have a little less buoyancy and go deeper in high winds when running before the winds. Do we know about her sailing performance?

I just realized that perhaps no other game has ever had the possibility to emulate those kind of things as well and as easily as Sails of Glory, but I'm sure it hasn't. Movement decks could vary the length of the arrows depending on strength of wind, point of sail and so on if they were specific for individual ships.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    That is nice! From her hull shape I would think that her bow would have a little less buoyancy and go deeper in high winds when running before the winds. Do we know about her sailing performance?

I just realized that perhaps no other game has ever had the possibility to emulate those kind of things as well and as easily as Sails of Glory, but I'm sure it hasn't. Movement decks could vary the length of the arrows depending on strength of wind, point of sail and so on if they were specific for individual ships.
    I would expect that sea handling paired with battle damage were why Bahama was hulked immediately upon making port, never to sail again. Many of our British reflags in Sails are similar What-Ifs, we needed names for ships that actually *existed* under Red, White or Blue Ensign and didn't have quite as much service data ten years ago as we do now.

They CAN be fun for what-if scenarios, trying to retake them from the prize crews...
    Last edited by Diamondback; 08-01-2021 at 17:25.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

The hollow bow would encourage her to "hog". This is when the weight above the waterline in the ends weighs more than the water being displaced directly beneath. The middle of the boat rises as the ends sag. It rather negatively affects sailing qualities.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    The hollow bow would encourage her to "hog". (Another factor, paralleling USS President, explaining her hulking.) This is when the weight above the waterline in the ends weighs more than the water being displaced directly beneath. The middle of the boat rises as the ends sag. It rather negatively affects sailing qualities.
    So in essence you want a "Jay Leno Chin" to avoid hogging. I know many of the Dreadnought-era BB's like USS Arizona were built with what were intended as bow rams, but ended up streamlining the bows to cut water better. Ideally, we could develop an algorithm to modify base logs for each ship design based on details like that, if we could gather the data... I know Victory had so many manufacturing defects she almost couldn't be launched and had so horrid a starboard list she needed an absurd amount of ballasting, which sounds to me like she should have had a noticeable steering differential too, going more easily to one side than the other. (And yet somehow she was the BEST handling of the First Rates, said to be almost the same as her Bellona-class "little sisters"...)
    Last edited by Diamondback; 08-01-2021 at 19:32.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post

They CAN be fun for what-if scenarios, trying to retake them from the prize crews...
    This is yet another chance for a few solo scenarios for me to work up. Thanks DB.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

So here is some progress on the Bahama.
    I've gone with a Spanish style stern and hull tops, being a mix of different classes rather than the British shape on the plans.

Just the ticket Simon.
    We have been crying out for more of these designs rather than the somewhat limited anbd none too accurate Spanish ships ever since they were launched by Ares. Now at last we are in a position to put things right, or if not at least improve the ships.
    Thanks.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post

Dobbs has done a lot of work for us on sailing wind effects with his superb ship base cards, and I wonder if something could be devised on the sailing performance in a similar way? The beauty of that is only one card would need tinkering with rather than a whole deck.

Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

The performance discussion reminded me of this rather extensive document:
    http://oa.upm.es/1520/1/PONEN_FRANCI...ONZALEZ_01.pdf

A brief reference on page 41 comparing some of the Spanish ships:

José de Mazarredo reported on the San Ildefonso, after the sea trials run with the San Juan Nepomuceno in the summer of 1785 (JMJG,2-211):
    “The poop is too simple. Ledges 8in wide and 5in with planking 2in thick were warped by sun heating, which opened the seams and rotted the deck structures. When pitching in medium wind the mizzen topsail sheets pulled the poop deck upwards dismantling the supports of the wheel like I had never seen in any other ship before”.

The design of the Monarca (R.Landa, Ferrol, 1794) was followed by the Montañés (Ferrol, 1794) a design of Julián Martín de Retamosa who narrowed the lines of Romero de Landa. With 180 tons less displacement the Montañés had 5in more draft forward and 3in more draft aft than the San Ildefonso. An immediate result of this was to reduce the hogging of the hull as underwater volume was shifted from midships to the ends and therefore it was more evenly distributed along the keel.

The Spanish Navy was eagerly pursuing the best design of their 74s. Thorough sea trials were conducted to compare the Monarca and the Montañés in order to select the best solution. Although the Montañés sailed better than the Monarca except with following or head winds, the results of the trials were not conclusive and the Junta held in Cádiz on 12 Dec.1794 on board the Conde de Regla decided that “it is not convenient to select one construction system so that the progression leading to the perfection of the Naval Architecture is not obstructed” (MNM,Ms.2322).

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Dobbs has done a lot of work for us on sailing wind effects with his superb ship base cards, and I wonder if something could be devised on the sailing performance in a similar way? The beauty of that is only one card would need tinkering with rather than a whole deck.

Rob.
    This is definitely one of the things that the SoG mechanics excels at. I could certainly make some recommendations.

While hogging in the long term was often the death of a ship as it aged, the appeal was a finer entry and possibly exit was thought to make a ship faster. The 19th century saw the introduction of diagonal bracing, which made hills more rigid and allowed the buoyancy of the middle to be transferred to the ends. Constitution and her sisters are an early example of this technology, though there's some debate as to if President had the diagonals.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

Not far off now. Still have the stern to finish for both fdm and resin printable versions, the hull to cut and to add mast holes etc.. but after that it should be good

Name:  F41D3591-8303-4BF9-B7C8-67A73B229979.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  60.3 KB

Name:  B350D019-B749-4A0A-98D5-7E0F3E3976FD.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  49.7 KB

Name:  9F264264-58AF-413B-9FFC-38973E193ED0.jpeg
Views: 509
Size:  23.7 KB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Looks great!

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Look forward to adding this to my fleet

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

Not able to test print the Bahamas just yet so onto the next, the Rayo in both 80 and 100 gun versions.

The plans for the 100 gun variant were quite distorted and it wasn't clear if the plans for the 80 gun were actually the same or differed much but after some work they should be good to use. The main differences here are the additional hull height and rebuilt bow. The stern doesn't appear to be much different.

I've already added extra lines for the thicker planking and just need some deck layouts which may have to be a variation of the captured fenix British rebuild combined with knowledge from the other Spanish ships I've already completed.

Name:  DD3DA34B-BCCE-4D6C-8F07-8206FF3C9F75.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  117.2 KB

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Oooooooooh so looking forward to this one

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Things are really moving on a pace now gentlemen!
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

This is great news! I will have almost all Spanish ships I could ever want after this.

I wouldn't mind San Fernando 96/98 gun rebuild, but that is a special bird...

I must say that I'm very picky when it comes to sails but the "Sails for all Black Seas models" have pleased me enough. I have designed my own bowsprit and scaled and even cut some into them, but I like the finished product. I'm printing my second try of the bowsprit. The first were out of scale. After this one is printed I will correct angles of the fore staysails... Then I can mass produce...

Not able to test print the Bahamas just yet so onto the next, the Rayo in both 80 and 100 gun versions.

The plans for the 100 gun variant were quite distorted and it wasn't clear if the plans for the 80 gun were actually the same or differed much but after some work they should be good to use. The main differences here are the additional hull height and rebuilt bow. The stern doesn't appear to be much different.

I've already added extra lines for the thicker planking and just need some deck layouts which may have to be a variation of the captured fenix British rebuild combined with knowledge from the other Spanish ships I've already completed.

Name:  DD3DA34B-BCCE-4D6C-8F07-8206FF3C9F75.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  117.2 KB
    I am anxiously awaiting navios Bahama and both Rayo versions Simon!

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

A bit more progress on the Rayo, blocking in the 80 gun hull. Luckily the 100 gun refit mostly looks to just extend the hull upwards on the same lines with some elongated changes around the catheads. That should make it much easier to do both versions.

Name:  92E63955-C034-4E69-9832-CFA6DC098628.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  30.2 KB

Name:  1BFDEB53-5AFA-4FC9-BEC8-E74A44F32870.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  30.7 KB

Name:  C5166891-27D9-4FEF-9A37-20471058B755.jpeg
Views: 421
Size:  20.2 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That should whet Vol's appitite Simon.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

Hopefully :)
    It'll probably be the last Spanish one for a while. The next push will be British ships of the line

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

This is great! I can't wait until all those ships are available.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Perhaps some Trafalgar second rates? Neptune-class? Perhaps a London-class?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I would go for some Second Rates as well Jonas. That is the big gap in Ares British ships.

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 08-12-2021 at 07:59.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

Just by chance the next on my list is the Neptune class. I haven't yet searched for plans but will do after the next build :)

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Sitting reading this thread with a big smile, so glad I got a 3d printer and just waiting to increase my fleets

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Can I put in a couple of orders when they come Chris? I think you know which ships I mean.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Simon just became my favourite 3D designer.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

And Chris, if you need any advice about 3D printing ask away. I might be able to help out.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Thanks Jonas

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

Another little update, blocking in some of the deck for the 80 gun and also blocking in the 100 gun hull. Plenty more still to do.

80 gun:
    Name:  6DD4A91E-0C9B-4793-8E52-D9EE766FD145.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  56.5 KB
    100 gun. Still needs hammock netting etc.. spreading across the upper edges.
    Name:  B9B1F771-B092-4D58-B38B-E988ABA735AF.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  54.9 KB

80 gun:
    Name:  59B844F2-E151-4746-9466-989F2A35DD32.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  33.0 KB
    100 gun:
    Name:  619A98EC-A9B8-4A02-816E-24740DF65B6F.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  32.4 KB