Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by T1ckL35 View Post
    Another little update, blocking in some of the deck for the 80 gun and also blocking in the 100 gun hull. Plenty more still to do.

80 gun:
    Attachment 55545
    100 gun. Still needs hammock netting etc.. spreading across the upper edges.
    Attachment 55546

80 gun:
    Attachment 55547
    100 gun:
    Attachment 55548
    It is just awesome to watch these come together. I just wish I had access to a printer so I could reap the benefits of your creativity!

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    It is just awesome to watch these come together. I just wish I had access to a printer so I could reap the benefits of your creativity!
    Me too, or could find someone with one and a commercial license.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am also finding it enthralling to see these ships taking shape. It gives me a bit of the feeling of the expectations of the shipwrights as they constructed the originals and watched them grow day by day.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I am also finding it enthralling to see these ships taking shape. It gives me a bit of the feeling of the expectations of the shipwrights as they constructed the originals and watched them grow day by day.
    Rob.
    Indeed, sir.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Morning DB.
    I can't help but feel that this breakthrough heralds a new dawn for all our gaming needs.
    If I were a bit younger, I might even get sucked into the printing game myself.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

It is great to be able to print the ships you want, now that more ships become available.

I still have a few that I'm hoping for, like the Wasa-class that's not really in the sights yet.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Morning DB.
    I can't help but feel that this breakthrough heralds a new dawn for all our gaming needs.
    If I were a bit younger, I might even get sucked into the printing game myself.
    Rob.
    It is easy to become addicted. I've just printed out a few hundred Korean and Japanese ships for the Imjin War, and last year I printed around 400 Greek and Persian galleys :)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I well understand you gentlemen. My own interest, once I have added a few more British vessles are the Dutch.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Henry's made a 74 and a frigate. Not much but it's something. Didn't the Dutch use smaller ships of the lines? I haven't really studied their navy, but I have some vague notion of them not only using frigates between the ships of the line behind the line, but also having 64 gun ships in the line. This is a bit like Sweden did. Also the 64s would use less draft.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Henry's made a 74 and a frigate. Not much but it's something. Didn't the Dutch use smaller ships of the lines? I haven't really studied their navy, but I have some vague notion of them not only using frigates between the ships of the line behind the line, but also having 64 gun ships in the line. This is a bit like Sweden did. Also the 64s would use less draft.
    I'd have to check BWAS and FWAS for captures since the Dutch volume cuts off in the late 1600s, but I wanna say the Dutch 50's were capably fought and dangerous opponents to take on under their original crews.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is De Winters Fleet at Camperdown.

Line of battle
    Ship Rate Guns Commander Casualties Notes
    Killed Wounded Total
    Gelijkheid * Third rate 68 Commander H. A. Ruijsch 40 killed[17] Badly damaged and may have been dismasted. Captured at 15:10, later became HMS Gelykheid
    Beschermer Fourth rate 56 Captain Dooitze Eelkes Hinxt Unknown Lightly damaged
    Hercules * Third rate 64 Commander Ruijsoort Unknown Hull very badly damaged and set on fire, mizenmast collapsed. Captured and became HMS Delft.
    Admiraal Tjerk Hiddes De Vries * Third rate 68 Captain J. B. Zegers Unknown Badly damaged and ship may have been dismasted. Captured at 15:00, later became HMS Devries
    Vrijheid * Third rate 74 Vice-Admiraal Jan de Winter
    Commander L. W. van Rossum
    58 98 156[17] Hull very badly damaged and ship dismasted. Captured at 15:15, later became HMS Vryheid
    Staaten Generaal Third rate 74 Rear-Admiral Samuel Story 20 40 60[18] Hull badly damaged, masts and rigging lightly damaged
    Wassenaar * Third rate 64 Commander A. Holland Unknown Damaged. First captured at 14:00, subsequently rejoined the combat and was captured again. Later became HMS Wassenaer
    Batavier Fourth rate 56 Commander Souter Unknown Lightly damaged
    Brutus Third rate 74 Rear-Admiral Johan Bloys van Treslong
    Commodore Polders
    10 50 60[18] Lightly damaged
    Leijden Third rate 68 Commander J. D. Musquetier Unknown Lightly damaged
    Mars Fifth rate razee 44 Commander D. H. Kolff 1 14 15[18] Mizenmast collapsed
    Cerberus Third rate 68 Commander Jacobsen 5 9 14[18] Lightly damaged
    Jupiter * Third rate 72 Rear-Admiral Hermanus Reijntjes 61 killed[17] Hull and rigging severely damaged, main and mizenmasts collapsed. Captured at 13:45, later became HMS Camperdown
    Haarlem * Third rate 68 Captain O. Wiggerts Heavy casualties Hull severely damaged and mizenmast collapsed. Captured at 13:15, later became HMS Haerlem
    Alkmaar * Fourth rate 56 Captain J. W. Krafft 26 62 82[18] Hull severely damaged and ship dismasted in the immediate aftermath of the battle. Captured at 14:30, later became HMS Alkmaar.
    Delft * Fourth rate 56 Captain Gerrit Verdooren van Asperen 43 76 119[17] Hull severely damaged. Captured at 14:15. Sank during journey to Britain with the loss of an additional 34 lives.[19]
    Frigate line
    Atalante Brig 18 Commander B. Pletsz Unknown
    Heldin Fifth rate 32 Commander Johan Ferdinand Dumesnil de l'Estrille Unknown
    Galathée Brig 18 Commander Riverij Unknown
    Minerva Sixth rate 24 Commander Eijlbracht Unknown
    Ajax Brig 18 Lieutenant Arkenbout Unknown
    Waakzaamheid Sixth rate 24 Commander Meindert van Nierop Unknown
    Ambuscade * Fifth rate 36 Commander J. Huijs Unknown Captured but later driven ashore on the Dutch coast and retaken by Dutch forces
    Daphné Brig 18 Lieutenant Frederiks Unknown Badly damaged
    Monnikkendam * Fifth rate 44 Commander Thomas Lancester 50 killed[17] Badly damaged. Captured at 14:00 but subsequently wrecked on the Dutch coast
    Haasje Advice boat 6 Lieutenant Hartingveld Unknown
    Total casualties: 540 killed, 620 wounded

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

A little more progress, positioning the gunport booleans (used to cut the holes) and the fdm and resin cannons. I generally do this part before adding any deck parts but didn't this time :)

80 gun:
    Name:  91AFF6FE-9F64-4394-9023-0234018F8D27.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  42.7 KB

100 gun:
    Name:  37B56E5B-080E-4B2B-B7C0-A2BA3C2D017D.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  41.6 KB

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Distilling the Camperdown list by rate...
    Rate Admiralty/Design Camperdown ships Non-involved similar
    3-74 Amsterdam Adm. Vrijheid (HMS Vryheid), Jupiter (HMS Camperdown) Washington (HMS Princess of Orange), ?Prints Maurits, ?Zeven Provincien (op by Noorderkwartier)
    3-74 Friesland Adm. Stad en Lande, Friesland
    3-74 Meuse Adm. - Prins Willem de Eerste class Staaten Generaal, Willem de Eerste->Brutus
    3-68 Friesland Adm. - one-off? Adm. Tjerk Hiddes De Vries (HMS Devries)
    3-68 Meuse Adm. - De Ruyter class Gelijkheid (HMS Gelykheid), Haarlem (HMS Haerlem), Leijden (HMS Leyden), Cerberus (HMS Texel) Admiraal de Ruijter (HMS De Ruyter), Utrecht (HMS Utrecht), Gelderland (HMS Guelderland), Verwagting, Overijssel
    3-66 Meuse Adm. - Prins Frederik class Wassenaar (HMS Wassenaer), Hercules (HMS Delft) Prins Frederik->Revolutie (HMS Prince Frederick)
    4-56 Meuse Adm. Delft, Alkmaar (HMS Alkmaar) Brakel (HMS Brakel), Maarten Harpentzoon Tromp (HMS Tromp)
    4-56 Amsterdam Adm. Batavier (HMS Batavier) Broederschap (HMS Broederschap)
    4-56 Noorderkwartier Adm. Beschermer (HMS Beschermer)
    5-44 twodecker Hector (HMS Pandour), ex-EIM Unie (HMS Drochterland)
    5-44 razee Friesland Adm. - ex-68
    as-built similar to Tjerk Hiddes?
    Zevenwolden->Mars (HMS Vleiter)
    5-44 (24pdr) Amsterdam Adm. Amphitrite (HMS Amphitrite), Eendragt
    5-44 Noorderkwartier Adm. Monnikkendam 7 more between all admiralties
    5-36 (12pdr) Meuse Adm. Castor (HMS Saldanha)
    5-36 (12pdr) Amsterdam Adm. Alliantie (HMS Alliance), Zefir (HMS Eurus), Argo (HMS Janus), Jason (HMS Proselyte)
    5-36 (12pdr) Zeeland Adm. Thulen (HMS Tholin)
    5-36 (12pdr) Meuse Adm. NEIC Jong Willem->Embuscade (1799 HMS Ambuscade->Helder)
    5-32 Amsterdam Heldin
    5-32 (18pdr) Juno class 12 total Juno, Proserpina (UK capt), Pallas (UK capt), Maria Reijgersbergen (UK capt),
    Phenix (UK capt), Kenau Hasselaar (1st, UK capt), Orpheus->Gelderland (HMS Guelderland), Irene,
    Euridice (FNS Eurydice), Kenau Hasselaar (2nd, to French same name), Vriesland (FNS Frise), Minerva (FNS Minerve)
    5-32 (18pdr) Dageraad (imp Juno) class Aurora (FNS Aurore), Maria Reigersbergen (FNS Maria)
    6-24 Zeeland Adm. Minerva (HMS Braak)
    6-24 Noorderkwartier Adm. Waakzaamheid (FNS Vigilance->HMS Waaksaamheidt)
    U-18 (brig) Atalante, Galathee, Ajax, Daphne Hippomenes, Spion (both UK capt)
    U-6 (aviso) Haasje

This is a preliminary assessment from BWAS, next move is to haul my copy of FWAS out of its box under the bed and see what can be dug out of it. I haven't even tried to fight with the brigs yet... Yes, there are two Gelderlands, both taken as HMS Guelderland!

I don't have the Wreeker 80's worked in either. There was a mass-capture in 1799 in the Texel, so that might be another action to look to for building a Dutch roster around. Sadly, after the scaling and wrong-mizzen issues I'm at a point where if I'm losing confidence even if the line ever does get off the rocks again.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 08-15-2021 at 14:28.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Lots of smaller ships. 56, 64, 68 and 74. That's pretty much what I though.
    Would be nice to have those sizes too. AFTER Henry's made a Swedish Wasa-class...

I'm really looking forward to that 100 gun Rayo. I already have the 80 (printed and painted) from Henry but for some unknown reason he never did the 100 gun modification.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Pretty much a 64-66-68 in Dutch practice, IIRC, mainly differed by another pair of guns or two in the upperworks, as opposed to the Spanish who uprated their 68's all the way up into "pocket 74's."

I'll see what FWAS can barf up for us after tomorrow's grocery run.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

My modeling skills are so far rather limited, but adding a gun or two on the poop I can do.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for clarifying my table DB. That gives us a much better overall idea of what can be produced from each sculpt.
    As for those Swedes Jonas, bring them on. I can see another Fleet in my minds eye.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I joined Henry’s Patreon and we have a vote each month for a tall ship. This month it looks like coastal artillery… I vote for Wasa-class each month but it’s never been higher than third so far.

He’s mentioned wanting to make a Henrik Fredrik af Chapman line of ships. There are a few vessels he designed.

Apart from the 3rd rates I’d love the Amphion. It’s the King’s own ship without guns that’s partly saved in the Marinmuseum in Stockholm. I don’t know of anyone having made it and it was involved in at least one Battle.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

How does one join Henry’s Patreon Jonas?
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

You go here:

https://www.patreon.com/HenryTurner

And then you pay him each month.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Right. Thanks for the info Jonas. i was thinking of joining just to give you an extra vote for your Wasa-class but committing to £4 a month seems a bit steep for one vote.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I understand. I thought it over and decided to aid him to make sure he can continue to design 3D models. I really like the models we get. I buy all ships I don’t have that Simon makes too.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

By the way, Henry mentioned in an update in the Patreon that he will be updating his detailed sails with more alternatives and sizes and that he is thinking about ratlines.

As I don't like his sails since they are bleeding wind along the leeches I'm not that excited by the updates to the sails, but I have been thinking of how to print ratlines and that is very exiting to me.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Had I gone down the route of JR cases all my ships would have had ratlines Jonas. As it was I was too heavily into FiC cases and boxes. With all my Ares ships in their boxes I can not fit ratlines nor rigging. I will, however, be very interested in your observations on those which Henry produces.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

They will be a while as that is his weekend side project and I believe he will have a week off now. He's worked quite hard on a Napoleonics 6mm range Kickstarter...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

No worries Jonas. Seems that after waiting out Covid, a bit more waiting will be nothing at all.

Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I like the sound of the ratlines, not got the ratline maker up and runn8ng as yet, have had a few domestic items taking over currently, ie new carpets and a new kitchen for SWMBO, then I can get my printer set up and really start on the trail as it were.
    Currently the sails available are quite small in comparison with the Ares versions

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

If you are after 3d printed ratlines then there are 1st, 3rd, 5th and brig ones for black seas at:
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4511690
    I haven't tried them yet but am hoping they might work well. Not sure how well downscaling will work without printing at a very fine resolution.

On the Rayo I've now blocked in the bows to both models. Next onto the stern
    Name:  50E55ED3-6B30-4D2D-B4B4-BFCD141DFB16.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  48.0 KB
    Name:  F0201801-336E-4958-9566-21BAFD3912E1.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  47.7 KB

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by T1ckL35 View Post
    If you are after 3d printed ratlines then there are 1st, 3rd, 5th and brig ones for black seas at:
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4511690
    I haven't tried them yet but am hoping they might work well. Not sure how well downscaling will work without printing at a very fine resolution.
    Downscaling that fine sounds like a nightmare preventing breakage... untested, but my thinking was downscale the stock Black Seas transparency-film ratlines, even though trying to set up even standing rigging is a screaming nightmare for me as it is. Similarly, until you started to get some billow figured out I was toying with downscaling their sail sheets for staysails and spankers...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Those ratlines are so bad I could do better.

Name:  ED1AC9A6-F9E2-4F57-A11A-AE56522101C5.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  237.4 KB

Firstly there should be blocks. Then the ratlines should be thinner than the shrouds. I would also want the ratlines to be hanging slightly.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Is the Bahama available somewhere?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Staysails and spankers are the real bugbare for me. I have fabricated my own in the past, but am never sure just how well they will stand up to the wear and tear of play at the shows. Having a few spares to just slot in would be very useful.

Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

I'll hopefully be running a test print of the Bahama this week (been away so no access to my printers). If all is well then it will go up on wargaming3d

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

That is good news!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yes indeed!
    Rob.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I've been finishing up some 3D prints that I did a few months back and then forgot about as other things got in the way. These are a couple of Henry's "HMS Bounty" models, one rescaled to 1/1000, the other a bit smaller to create a small and medium merchant pair for my games. The bases are the lovely ones that Capn' Duff had created, and the ship cards are from the files area here.

There's something unusual about the models - see f you can guess what it is. I shall reveal all later

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I now know how to use my HMS Bounty Dave. Thanks for that insight. You can never have sufficient merchantmen especially in the Indian Ocean! They make a fine pair.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

That is a good idea. Using HMS Bounty as a merchant... I will have to remember that to when I have time to continue on other ship projects.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Want to guess at the unusual aspect?

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

A little bit more progress on the rayo, blocking in the stern. Starting to look more like a ship now :)

Name:  9153D1E5-5AD1-4034-94A1-5AD24E23A5F5.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  64.5 KB

Name:  9C0F1B99-CE0F-4BE4-89B2-34CFE195F94D.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  41.3 KB

Name:  04505455-0BA4-4F8A-B7F2-9E6341D43880.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  40.9 KB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Want to guess at the unusual aspect?
    I give up. I have no idea of what it is.

Those pictures shows the development of Rayo very well. I like it very much. It will be bought.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

Thanks TexaS, just doing an hour or so a night at it when possible.

I can't see anything specifically unusual with the bounty print either, interested to hear what it is :)

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I am also liking the look of the Rayo, that will be added to my fleet once on sale

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

We all need one of those Chris.
    The detail is magnificent Simon.

Rob.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    I give up. I have no idea of what it is.
    Both Bountys are one piece prints.

I assembled the complete ship and masts in MS 3D Builder and printed out as a single unit. Not sure I'd do it again as arranging the supports and then removing them was "interesting". That said it might be easier on a larger model with more space to work.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Did the sails in situ not make the painting much more difficult Dave?

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Interesting.

I thought the foremast and mainmast may be a little short. The mainsail looks to be lower than the lowest spar on the mizzenmast. Is the masts that short. I may be wrong.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

It does, but not excessively so. It would be easier on a larger model I think.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Yes, this was a "proof of principle" and put together at the rush to take advantage of a narrow window in my printing schedule (I can only print occasionally due to family constraints on space)