Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: 3D Ship Files / Kickstarter

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

At least with this, when you print your own and it comes out off scale, there's the ability to type in a correction and get it right, unlike Minigildos and Baby Baham one way or Roid Rage Constitution the other...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Here is an easy scale converter you can use to determine how long the model needs to be. Just plug in the desired scale and actual feet or meters of the ship, and it will give you inches or milimeters the model should to be.

https://www.ginifab.com/feeds/cm_to_...converter.html
    It's not that hard in metric. X meters is X millimeters in 1:1000...

1st Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Is it time to have a sticky thread for 3D Printing?

Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Could be. Before Henry I didn't think there were much competition from 3D-printing. Now there's many hulls definitely worth printing. He does wonderful work. I still think there's a lack of masts and sails worth the resin. It almost makes me want to model them myself. It's 30 years since I left CATIA behind an moved from mechanical engineering to software...

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I haven't bothered printing any of the available masts (save for those on a L'Ocean, which were reasonably well modelled). I'm putting off doing the rigging though as I'd want to do it *right* and that is a PITA.

I'd love some properly proportioned spars and yards - for my tastes as separate (the mast), and (the yards) so a realistic set of sail can be flown, and unused yards can be dropped to their seats, with only set sails (and some of those clewed up) hauled up. (I have some in larger scales though, so this is both needing more detail/better form, and also rewarding a more thorough job on rigging..)

Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If you chaps can come up with a realistic guide to Printing I will be happy to stick it for you. it could go into the "How to" forum.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I think I could write it, but I'm not sure what I would add in that thread. I would definately have forgottn to mention about removing the build plate if it hadn't been asked.

Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Lieste View Post
    I haven't bothered printing any of the available masts (save for those on a L'Ocean, which were reasonably well modelled). I'm putting off doing the rigging though as I'd want to do it *right* and that is a PITA.

I'd love some properly proportioned spars and yards - for my tastes as separate (the mast), and (the yards) so a realistic set of sail can be flown, and unused yards can be dropped to their seats, with only set sails (and some of those clewed up) hauled up. (I have some in larger scales though, so this is both needing more detail/better form, and also rewarding a more thorough job on rigging..)
    Definately! Right now I use Sails of Glory masts which aren't the best, but at least they're consistent in my fleet.

As propotionate you can make them for printing. At least I'd make them tapered. Bulging sails that don't stick to the mast at the lower end for no reason at all (other than possibly for ease of printing).

Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am doing the same Jonas. I am using up my SoG spare masts, but have ordered three Ares Frigates specially to get the masts for your Swedish printed ones. the hulls of those will do for more foundering ships.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    I think I could write it, but I'm not sure what I would add in that thread. I would definately have forgottn to mention about removing the build plate if it hadn't been asked.
    Might be worth getting together with the other printer chaps by PM and see if they are interested in helping to formulate something then Jonas.
    Rob.

Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I am doing the same Jonas. I am using up my SoG spare masts, but have ordered three Ares Frigates specially to get the masts for your Swedish printed ones. the hulls of those will do for more foundering ships.

Rob.
    Let me know when they arrive. They set out last week. There should be favorable winds.

Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I will do that Captain.

Rob.

Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Just wanted to mention that I asked Henry Turner If there will be any more ships of our era coming up.

The last ship of the Kickstarter, HMS Magnanimie, will be finished in about a week.

He mentioned that his ACW range (15mm figures) is mostly done. His foray into Napoleonics (6mm figures) will be mostly done during summer. He hope to extend his Gilded Sails 17th century ships and has apparently committed himself to eventually covering the Continental Navy.

Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Continental Navy is good news Jonas.
    Pity it is just about the time mine are nearly completed. Still I expect I will be tempted when I see his.

Rob.

Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I’m not personally that attracted to it and there will be a lot of small vessels that will be outside of the scope of Sails of Glory, but I know many of you here are interested.

I personally would want to see two British second rates, the British large 74 and the Swedish Wasa-class third rate.

Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As requested Jonas I can now report that ships docked about an hour ago. They are now residing in the Quarintine dock for 72 hours.
    Many thanks for this present.

Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Good to hear, Rob!

I hope they arrived safely and isn't in need of repairs, but we´ll know that when they leave Quarantine dock.