Thread: Noobie Questions

Landsman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Default Noobie Questions

I am eagerly awaiting the mailman's delivery of my SoG on a whim purchases. To add to my excitement, I have been researching the ships in that Ares has captured for this game and I cant get all the info I wish. Perhaps some enthusiast could help me out. BTW, I also posted these question on BGG but I may not get answers.

1. What is the Point cost of HMS Leander
    2. What is the point cost of HMS Adamant
    3. What is the point cost of the french ship Neptune

4. I am trying to figure out the ships flags. British have red, white and blue which I read have come to mean warship, merchant ship and government ship. But what was the significance in the Napoleonic wars?

5. For the French ships, I see the French flag, an all white flag and a white flag with a French flag in the corner. What is the significance of this?

Thanks if you know the answers to any of my questions above.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

4. In the Napoleonic Era and before, the Royal Navy was divided into Red, White and Blue Squadrons. Each squadron had its own ensign, hence the variation.
    5. The all whites are the Bourbon Royal flag (should have tiny gold fleur-de-lis all over it, impractical to print), the white with tiny tricolor is Revolutionary Republic, the full tricolor is Napoleonic Imperial.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Landsman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    4. In the Napoleonic Era and before, the Royal Navy was divided into Red, White and Blue Squadrons. Each squadron had its own ensign, hence the variation.
    5. The all whites are the Bourbon Royal flag (should have tiny gold fleur-de-lis all over it, impractical to print), the white with tiny tricolor is Revolutionary Republic, the full tricolor is Napoleonic Imperial.
    Thanks for the clarification. That was fast. Am I setting myself up for failure if I get caught up in the flags (only Royal Navy Red Squadron sail together or purchase any and all Napoleonic Imperial just because?) Does anyone in the hobby think that way or am just being a little too OCD?

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Alex

To your first questions, all the point costs are in this official document https://www.aresgames.eu/11269

I've also attached my mega spreadsheet (modified from a copy on BGG) if you want to nerd out.

Sails_of_Glory_info_List.xlsx

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, Chris, from here in the United Kingdom.

You can download a Points Value Table from this page on the Ares games website together with other documents relating to the game: http://www.aresgames.eu/category/dow...of-glory-games

However, the points values are only a rough guide.

I would say that most players do not worry about mixing ships from different squadrons or ones with flags from different periods as long as they can identify the nationality of the ship. `Feel free to purchase whatever you like and can find at a reasonable price. Some sellers offer ships at ridiculously high prices on the internet.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Kind of, it's a bit hardcore but I've long suggested as Historical Consultant for Ares that they can easily do quick, minimal-effort redecoes just by swapping flags on hulls. Eventually, I'm trying to get them, where appropriate, to do all the appropriate flags on each hull deco so that we can keep bigger fleets straight.

Some guys actually cut the plastic flags off and hang paper ones from rigging, and I have no problem swapping models (SGN201 is Victory as-built which better fits most First Rates, 108 is Victory at Trafalgar, so I'm considering getting a few more 201's to "correct" my 108s and make up my own logs) but when it comes to flags, for me personally we're gonna need a LOT more ship decoes--and yes, I'm trying to get us some!--before I'm ready to worry about more than "Team 1 vs Team 2." That's just me though... at the end of the day, you have to decide your own tolerances for yourself.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Addendum, we're still not sure how Ares comes up with their game stats or point costs--I have a catalog of every single different armament load I've been able to find for various ships--Concorde apparently gets a +1 Burden because she's 200 tons heavier than Amazon, more of a size the British used for their last 18pdr 32's, and I suspect the gunnery lines are statted more like a 12pdr 36 or 40 (I saw one Concorde load that had seven pairs on the QD and FC!) than a 32.

Victory alone had SEVEN different fits between herself and her sisters Boyne and Union...
    Last edited by Diamondback; 11-23-2020 at 23:09.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just a couple of things I can add to muddy the water Chris. Quite a few of the ships changed hands during both the 7 years war and American Revolution, to say nothing of the Napoleonics. Also flags for the British changed in two ways. Prior to the Union with Ireland in 1801 they had no red cross of St. Patrick overlaying the white Scottish saltier. When a ship swapped squadrons it also changed its Ensign to that of the commanding Admiral, so it could go from White one day to blue the next. However if it was on dethatched service from the Admiralty it flew the white.

As for points values I usually give the weaker players better ships and that helps straighten out any problems. If you fancy yourself as a good captain you should be able to handle this weaker ship. As a beginner I can well understand you wanting to start on a level playing field. I can only say this you learn far more by losing than by winning.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.