Thread: How Are The Points For a Ship Derived at

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

Default How Are The Points For a Ship Derived at

Hi
    New to the Anchorage and Sails of Glory I have a British Fleet of Hms Royal George 1st rate 4 other 3rd rates 1 4th rate and 4 5th rate amazon class frigates and a French fleet of 1 1st class 3 3rd class and a 5th class frigate need a few more French 5th rates
    I know what the points costs for the ships are i just do not understand why?
    For example a British amazon frigate costs 68 or 69 points so why does a French frigate lets say Courageuse only cost 74 points it has a similar broadside but has a burden of 3 so can take 50% more damage for a 10% cost in points
    How are the points derived and what am i missing Ps I Know the french ship is bigger so a burden of 3 seems fair but 6 points difference does not
    Also i brought Hms Royal George as it can be the most expensive points for a British 1st rate Hibernia a unique ship class and the Royal George the cheapest British 1st Rate The Royal George being a Umpire Class ship the same as the Queen Charlotte so could be any of 3 ships Hibernia 212 points see the broadside see the points Queen Charlotte 200 points Royal George 181 points Whats the difference between the Queen Charlotte and the Royal George i can not see a 19 points difference they are almost the same broadside and they are the same ship class
    Does anyone have the formula for how they came to the points cost for each ship Please

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Firstly allow me to welcome you to the Anchorage officially on behalf of all your shipmates Andrew.
    The finer points of this are one for DB Andrew. He and Dave Manley test trialled the game so may have some light to shed. I never play games to points so could not answer this one. i am sure someone will be along shortly who can shed some light on this conundrum.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 11-13-2020 at 12:35.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Unlike the relatively open-source Wings, they don't share the "secret sauce" in makings Sails. When the Stats Committee does our unofficial ship logs, we have to By Guess & By Golly it. "Okay, USS Essex should be stronger in hull and guns than a Concorde but weaker than a Hebe, throw some in-between stats on the board, playtest, That Looks About Right, adopt unless/until found to be Not Quite Right, adjust if needed."

TBH, I didn't do much of the playtesting and almost never go by points, my thing is more reconstruction of historical battles--I'm not so much a gamer as an academic who thinks interactive stuff like wargaming is better for getting students to connect with the subject than being just another prattling moron at the lectern. :)

Frankly, the official stats on the British First Rates all appear to be just fudged. I tend to treat Royal George as a no-carronades early First Rate (what they should have used Britannia for) or a with-carronades 98-gun late Second Rate. And on the Spanish ships, trust me you don't wanna dive into trying to make sense of those stats, that way lies Madness.

I will pass your question along to Andrea at Ares and see if I can get an answer.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

Thank you for taking the time to reply as i said i am new to Sails of Glory so thought i would start with a French Squadron and a British Squadron about equal strength so points seem a easy way to start. Next i was going to find all the ship classes i have and then all the ships that were in those class names and then look to try and find a event or a what if that i could field the majority of the ships and fudge some other ships to make it work as i learn more about the ships and the period. I also want to get other people at the club to play so did not want anything too one sided why i assume ships have a points values in the first place but i would be grateful if any one can shed light on how they work the points out so i know what to look out for

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, Andrew, from here near Norwich. I am sorry but I cannot add anything to what Diamondback has written in answer to your question.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

We will just have to hope that Andrea has time to answer this question for us then shipmates. I can well understand your need for a points system if you want to start at the club, and be able to justify yourself as to why the points are as they are. One way round the inbalance is to play two games and swap sides at the end of game one. At shows I usually resort to giving the weaker players the better ships. There is no better way to get someone hooked on the game than seeing them put up a good showing against the master or even beating him without having to resort to losing on purpose.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

My preference is asymmetric scenarios/goals. Getting around/through a screening force (with enough room to manoeuvre and some options for different gunnery paradigms if it comes to that) - with an operational goal of completing "the mission" for one side, and for "take, sink, burn" for the other. Or a revenue cutter running down a smuggler on a lee shore, in changeable winds (or just monitoring shipping coming and going from a port).

Part long-form role playing, part 'at quarters'.

Enjoyed a fair few 'Vietcong in tunnels' or 'Firebase defence' games on similar lines. Management of resources, fatigue, supply, alertness, readiness (eroded by excessive use of any of the others, or by inadequacy in their replenishment) taking a major part in how the intermittent action plays out.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

David, I crossposted a group of 'Sealed Mission Orders' originally from the old Seastrike game that he'd adapted for Axis & Allies War at Sea. You might find them worth checking out, and I welcome suggestions on refining it.
    https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....ll=1#post39168
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I was about to say that the points system in SOG was obviously done by the same people that did the system for Warlord's "Victory at Sea", but then I realised I'm a common denominator - that said I wasn't involved in the points system for either (unfortunately)