Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Default Cutting Out Missions

I'm working on how to play cutting out missions in SoG.

One thing I'm wrestling with is booms. Sometimes harbors were blocked by booms or chains. Does anyone have any historical or convincing fictional accounts with how they could be overcome?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Dobbs.
    Here are a couple of pictures of the Basque Roads battle from Doncaster '19 where Cochrcrane breached the Boom.

Here you can just see the other end of the boom emerging from the water on the landward and Fort Boyard sides.

This one is after the Boom was cut.

You can read all about the action here:- https://military.wikia.org/wiki/Batt...e_Basque_Roads
    Last edited by Bligh; 12-12-2020 at 04:27.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is another of our games where Captain Kiwi and I did a night attack on a port to cut out shipping. this was where the cards for actions were used again. The Boom on this occassion had to be cut silently as a guard boat was on patrol, so timing was important and the chain had to be cut silently by the ships blacksmith.

The approach.

The next picture shows the cutting out expedition after th boom is cut, with the guard boat non the wiser passing in the background.

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 12-12-2020 at 04:43.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The British forcing the Boom by brute force at Doncaster '16 after the landing parties have flanked the defenses and set fire to the shipyard in the foreground.

The landing.

Last edited by Bligh; 12-12-2020 at 05:00.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Lovely photos, Rob! The adventure with Captain Kiwi is more in line with what I had in mind.

Does anyone know if booms/chains were meant to keep the enemy out or just slow them down? I could see where running over a boom could be hard on a ship's stem and possibly the rudder pintles.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Lovely photos, Rob! The adventure with Captain Kiwi is more in line with what I had in mind.

Does anyone know if booms/chains were meant to keep the enemy out or just slow them down? I could see where running over a boom could be hard on a ship's stem and possibly the rudder pintles.
    You could start your search via wikipedia and then expand it from there? I found this last night.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boom_(...ional_barrier)
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Yup, Jim, I checked that one out. I always enjoy reading about the Dutch attack on the Medway. I didn't get a sense for how common booms were. It seems like a lot of work, but potentially effective if they were actually able to stop rather than just impede ship traffic.