Thread: What's on your workbench for November.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default What's on your workbench for November.

I have more Spanish ships on the stocks ready to convert to Algerine prizes. I seem to remember a post about a Spanisg ship of the line captured by the Algerines but am having trouble finding it. Can any of you fine fellows point me in the right direction please?
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Hello Rob i don't´have info about this. Lot of merchants were captured. And one ship of the line was stranded at the barbary coast , Fernando Vii in 1809.
    I has been making the spanish flag on the ships from 1701 to 1785, may be you can put one of this flags on your ships. I am using this for battles before 1785
    Name:  Spanish Flags 1701-1785.jpg
Views: 7888
Size:  201.5 KB

I have the pdf if you prefer. Regards

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That is very kind of you Ferrante. I am really looking to have it as a captured Spanish ship used by the Algerines so I have an excuse to mount a cutting out exercise with my Spanish ships to try and capture it back. I am trying to get some games for my Spanish and American ships which do not get a lot of exposure, hence my building my Algerine/ Moroccan squadron.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

This is the Santísima Trinidad in 1770 going from La Habana to Ferrol . As originally with 3 decks before the works for 4 .
    This flag was used until 1785

Name:  6730FFAA-AE48-4E73-A959-01F2651F4684.jpg
Views: 992
Size:  208.1 KB
    Name:  216E36C8-10D9-41E3-A748-EAF8C6A390D7.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  207.7 KB

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now that is indeed a good find DB.
    Rob.

I started this back in October but have had very little time to work on it. Another Black Seas 1/700 ship, this time a third rate. Painted as the L' Aquilon as she was at the Battle of the Nile.
    Name:  20201111_140658.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  187.2 KB
    Name:  20201111_140710.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  189.7 KB
    Name:  20201111_140828.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  182.2 KB
    Name:  20201111_140818.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  166.3 KB
    Name:  20201111_140807.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  190.7 KB
    Name:  20201111_140844.jpg
Views: 1521
Size:  188.1 KB
    Name:  20201111_141053.jpg
Views: 1026
Size:  160.8 KB
    I forgot the anchors when I shot the photos. I just noticed and added them tonight.
    Name:  20201111_202810.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  152.7 KB

Good job Vol, I especially like the detail of the pulleys and the rigging is also great

Nothing with Sails on my workbench this month.

A set of Space Marine Heroes Terminators.

I'm not into WH40K tabletop, but this squad is a great addition to my painted Space Hulk board game minatures, a second flamer, minigun and some close combat marines. (...think the rocket launcher needs some extra rules.)

Ferrante, I like this set of Spanish flags & good work with this French 3rd rate, Vol.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Nice looking Marines Sven. One day I will tell you about the only battle I ever played with 40K troops. It would take too long here. That one with the sail at the back would not get them very far though.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    . Another Black Seas 1/700 ship, this time a third rate. Painted as the L' Aquilon as she was at the Battle of the Nile.

A very finely painted model as usual Vol. It is a real beauty.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    I started this back in October but have had very little time to work on it. Another Black Seas 1/700 ship, this time a third rate. Painted as the L' Aquilon as she was at the Battle of the Nile.

I forgot the anchors when I shot the photos. I just noticed and added them tonight.
    Name:  20201111_202810.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  152.7 KB
    Awesome job Vol. How did you do the blocks? I was thinking a little spot of glue painted brown. How did you do your ratlines? That is one of the things that vexed me about the 1/700 ships, the plastic ratlines that didn't really fit very well, I also found that the sails were a bit fidgety to fit properly at least on the frigates and brigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    A very finely painted model as usual Vol. It is a real beauty.
    Rob.
    Thanks Rob, and thank you for the Rep!

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    Good job Vol, I especially like the detail of the pulleys and the rigging is also great
    Thank you Julian. From a master like you that means a lot.
    And thank you for the reputation points.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Not at all Vol. Thank you for all your input.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Awesome job Vol. How did you do the blocks? I was thinking a little spot of glue painted brown. How did you do your ratlines? That is one of the things that vexed me about the 1/700 ships, the plastic ratlines that didn't really fit very well, I also found that the sails were a bit fidgety to fit properly at least on the frigates and brigs.
    Thank you Eric. And you are spot-on with the little spot of glue painted brown for the blocks! For the ratlines I had to make a larger jig for this third rate than I was using for the SOG ships and Black Seas frigates. The larger one is used for the lower mast shrouds and the smaller jig for the upper shrouds.
    Name:  20201106_205632.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  103.8 KB
    Name:  20201106_203926.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  154.3 KB
    Name:  20201106_204838.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  141.2 KB
    Name:  20201107_194503.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  93.3 KB

For the sails I do not use the heavy card ones supplied. I copy them onto regular printer paper, front & back. Then print them out. I just go through my normal process using PVA to coat and then shape them over a pen or marker. Then I use a damp rounded pencil eraser and, from the back side, I push the lower edge into something soft like a sponge or folded cloth to give that billow shape. I always tie the sails on the spars, only using a touch of glue at the knots. (I do glue sails on the smaller 1/1200 ships.) Hope that answers all of your questions Eric
    Cheers

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Another very interesting little "How to" Vol. I had seen your smaller jigs but the extra info imparted here will be of great value to those shipmaates who venture down the road of producing their own ratlines.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Here I am following in Vol's footsteps. I believe he posted about moving the Constitution's boats around.

Name:  20201125_121805.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  167.8 KB

I took off the boats in davits that came with and moved one to the stern, cutting a little notch for it to plug in. The new side boats are from Langton. I drilled a 0.020" hole in the each bulwark and one in each boat then hung them with a concealed piece of plastic rod.

Just ignore the misnamed aspect of Constitution trying to pose as Hermione.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 11-25-2020 at 14:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Here I am following in Vol's footsteps. I believe he posted about moving the Constitution's boats around.

Name:  20201125_121805.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  167.8 KB

I took off the boats in davits that came with and moved one to the stern, cutting a little notch for it to plug in. The new side boats are from Langton. I drilled a 0.020" hole in the each bulwark and one in each boat then hung them with a concealed piece of plastic rod.

Just ignore the misnamed aspect of Constitution trying to pose as Hermione.
    Yes that looks just right Dobbs! Well done!

Over on the 3D Kickstarter thread I posted this photo of the 3D order I received a couple of days ago from designer and friend Henry Turner.
    Name:  20201124_212001.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  142.0 KB

The post was rather rough with the package (there was a one inch diameter hole punched through the bottom!) There were four hulls with various amounts of damage. I spent a bit of time yesterday making repairs.
    Canada class 74:
    > All of the poop deck railing was gone. Replaced with the edging of the same mesh I use for 1/1200 ratlines
    > The stern taff rail was broken off. Replaced with a bit of card
    > The catheads were gone. Holes drilled and pinned, new catheads carved and glued to pins
    > 4 starboard guns, 2 port guns broke off. Holes drilled, 20lb test fishing line inserted & glued, thin snipped off at the correct length to match the other guns
    (Note: I had not replaced the guns yet when I took these photos)
    Name:  20201125_190431.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  84.7 KB
    Name:  20201125_190447.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  71.5 KB
    Name:  20201125_190523.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  68.4 KB

The Holsteen 74:
    > 7 portside guns broke off. Holes drilled, 20lb test fishing line inserted & glued, thin snipped off at the correct length to match the other guns, new guns painted black so they can be seen
    > The catheads were gone. Holes drilled and pinned, new catheads carved and glued to pins
    > The lanterns were gone. Holes drilled, fishing line inserted & glued, then built up with PVA
    Name:  20201125_191601.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  67.5 KB
    Name:  20201125_191610.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  70.5 KB
    Name:  20201125_191640.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  60.6 KB
    Name:  20201125_191707.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  65.0 KB

The last two ships just needed one lantern each
    Name:  20201125_192148.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  79.2 KB
    With some paint on them
    Name:  20201125_192609.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  72.6 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks like a good repair job Vol. Just a pity that the Posal Service cost you the time and effort.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Calibrating the Laser pointer.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Canada class HMS Captain! Rails added just aft of the fore chains and holes drilled for rigging. Primed and ready for painting.Name:  20201127_160829.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  96.7 KB

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20201129_182210.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  196.5 KB

With her reworked boats in place, Constitution or maybe United States if I can figure out how to add a roundhouse. Heck, what is a roundhouse, outside of trains?
    Last edited by Dobbs; 11-29-2020 at 17:13.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Name:  20201129_182210.jpg
Size:  196.5 KB

With her reworked boats in place, Constitution or maybe United States if I can figure out how to add a roundhouse. Heck, what is a roundhouse, outside of trains?
    It's a structure built on top of the weather deck, between the QD and mainmast.
    http://www.navalmarinearchive.com/re...oundhouse.html
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Is the structure on the back of the Hebe miniatures a roundhouse?

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I thought that was the quarterdeck, having real trouble finding illustrations--the only one I've seen so far shows a counterpart structure at the top rear of Mayflower as being her roundhouse.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

The 1620 Mayflower? That's old technology!

On the Miniatures, it looks more like the roof of an awning than something that you would walk on. I was hoping that you had a historical precedent for Hebe frigates having roundhouses or a structure built over the quarterdeck.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quite amusing really. I keep sticking them in on my ships assuming that the were the cover over a companionway down to the great cabin or a hatch or skylight cover! Never thought of a roundhouse being rectangular.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

What's funny is, between being from a railroading family and an '80s kid, you say "roundhouse" and my brain immediately goes to either a steam locomotive servicing complex or a Chuck Norris high kick.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yes DB. At Derby which is about 15 miles from where I live they still have a roundhouse where the turntable used to be housed.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

From the computer simulation "Naval Action" I recall the Bucentaure having a 'wheelhouse'/'roundhouse'? From model railroading or railroading in general, roundhouse is definitely like the photos Rob has posted above.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

This is the roundhouse on the USS United States Black Seas modelName:  20201130_203749.jpg
Size:  101.1 KB
    Name:  20201130_203808.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  91.0 KB

3D HMS Captain with a coat of paint. Now I have to make and mount some skid plates, then make some boats to mount on them.
    Name:  20201130_194603.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  112.4 KB
    Name:  20201130_194653.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  125.5 KB

Vol, is this ship from Henry? looks good

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Certainly is very impressive. My mouth waters imagining these in 1/1000.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    Vol, is this ship from Henry? looks good
    Yes it is. I measured it last night and it is a true 1/700 scale of 172 ft at the gun deck