Thread: A night onboard the BH

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Default A night onboard the BH

For our weekly stoush last night I elected to use the BH (Bonhomme Richard) against the HMS Swan and the HMS Concorde. I thought that the Concorde would engage the BH while the small Swan used its greater speed and maneuverability to get some bow and stern shots in. After rolling dice I ended up sailing the Swan, Mark the Concorde leaving Doug to sail the BH. We have all played at least 4 games together so I thought we all had an adequate grasp of the rules to make it a fun night. We did use the wind direction optional rule and also our own collision rule where each ship takes one E chit and cannot fire if a collision occurs.

The wind one worked fairly well with at least two changes in wind direction in the game but the collision!!!!! Mark and I collided at least 4 times and that caused a few crew casualties where crew members fell out of the rigging.

All in all a good night that ended when we had played for nearly 2 hours. The Concorde hammered the BH initially but by the end of the game both ships were down to 1 remaining crew box each and my Swan suffered the least damage as it tried to keep out of the main line of fire and do sniping attacks.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  152.5 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  141.1 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  142.4 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  154.3 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  157.6 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  151.6 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  136.6 KB

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  154.0 KB

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  159.3 KB

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  157.7 KB

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  169.6 KB

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  153.7 KB

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  145.9 KB

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  139.5 KB

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  190.3 KB

Name:  16.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  190.9 KB

Name:  17.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  192.4 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

An honourable draw there then Gary.
    Thanks for posting that game.
    We are very short of the AAR's at the moment with no fraternisation between households, so this comes as a breath of fresh air to us all.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Collisions, collisions, thats one reason why I prefer the original "singe card" approach, ships drive into each other far too often

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Ah yes I remember it well Dave.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Nice pics and write up of the action.
    Interesting collision rule also.

For myself, I understand why the collision rules were written and why they are so severe, but I feel it is a gamey thing, as to be a Captain you would surely be able to manoeuvre and have the seamanship to not collide.
    So house rules are the way forward for me.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

There were friendly collisions in battles, mostly due to gunsmoke covering the sea. Battle of Santo Domingo comes to mind where a British ship lost her bowsprit.

The strange thing to me is that the speeds were often very low, sometimes even down to walking speed (agreed that we modern people are kind of speed freaks compared to the times, thinking 10 knots as nothing) and the tall ships I've sailed respond well to the rudder. Agreed that they have an awful turning circle but that's the arrows on the movement cards, not the planning.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I'm not saying they never happened, just that the system as published seems to encourage it's occurrence too frequently. We still managed to drive into each other using the single card approach in playtesting, just not as often.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am with you on this Dave. I feel that the chance of entanglement together with drawing an A card if your burdens are the same and maybe two if you are of a lower burden would be sufficient. This for use in both friendly and enemy incidents. I am also tending much more towards favouring the one card option.
    Rob.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Of course a benefit of going to a single card system is that you can use the cards from a single model for 2 ships, ideal if you are 3D printing your own, upscaling Langtons, adapting Houston's etc.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That is what I will be doing with my Algerine Langton ships for sure. Printing half decks is much cheaper.
    Rob.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    The strange thing to me is that the speeds were often very low, sometimes even down to walking speed (agreed that we modern people are kind of speed freaks compared to the times, thinking 10 knots as nothing) and the tall ships I've sailed respond well to the rudder. Agreed that they have an awful turning circle but that's the arrows on the movement cards, not the planning.
    As late as the 1880's-1890s there was a belief that at 100mph the lungs wouldn't be able to pull enough oxygen from the air and you'd suffocate; unless you were travelling via the Empire State Express even 40-50mph was considered a breakneck speed. Even today at sea, the most common cruising speed for freighters and warships in IIRC in the 10-15kt range.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Thank you for sharing the A.A.R., Gary.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yes Gary. It certainly got us talking about turning circles and collisions.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    As late as the 1880's-1890s there was a belief that at 100mph the lungs wouldn't be able to pull enough oxygen from the air and you'd suffocate; unless you were travelling via the Empire State Express even 40-50mph was considered a breakneck speed. Even today at sea, the most common cruising speed for freighters and warships in IIRC in the 10-15kt range.
    In the napoleonic times it would rather be 5-10 kt.

When preparing for battle by lessening sails you also loose speed.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Several texts state that Captains were overjoyed if they were averaging 7½ kt.
    Rob.