Thread: Last New Releases

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Default Last New Releases

Zoom chatting with friends last night, we were trying to remember the date of the last new ship releases for SoG and we couldn't pin it down. Does anyone recall?

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Per the Sails Facebook page, Nov '17.
    https://www.facebook.com/SailsOfGlor...NxMg&__tn__=-R
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good grief, that was ages ago.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Wow, was it really 3 years ago???

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

BSG and Boardgames, and the "themes and Squadron Packs" soft-reboot of WGS, seem to be sucking all the air out of the room for Sails and WGF alike.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

To quote a famous personality. I see no ships............... still

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    BSG and Boardgames, and the "themes and Squadron Packs" soft-reboot of WGS, seem to be sucking all the air out of the room for Sails and WGF alike.
    And Ares' other non-air wargaming projects have sucked the air out of WoG/BSG...... :/

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Guadalcanal is still slowly in development; I've fired off unit suggestions for redeco packs and it's in a holding pattern. Really wish we could get two SKU's a sculpt...

Having a diverse portfolio makes some sense, but it's also important to have a "core" of long-term brands and keep them active. Yes, you gotta have something shiny and new for the trade shows, but it's also important to keep your longterm "core audience" coming back.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well Rod Langton is doing quite well out of me with ships on the fringes of our period. That money could have been going into the Ares pot.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Well Rod Langton is doing quite well out of me with ships on the fringes of our period. That money could have been going into the Ares pot.
    Rob.
    Maybe you should compile a list of everything you've had to buy Langtons as substitutes for, total it up in cash value with receipts and write to Ares. Tell them "All this business I *wanted* to give you, but you did not make product available so I had to give my business to someone who did." If there are two words any business hates it's "Lost Sales"... Anybody else who's been having to buy 3rd-party ships should do this too.

As it is, I think if I can find good sources for ~1/1000 British open-gallery three-deckers I may end up archiving all my SGN108 models (except one to go on a 201 base as late Victory herself) for collection purposes and the replacements for display/gameplay.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Maybe you should compile a list of everything you've had to buy Langtons as substitutes for, total it up in cash value with receipts and write to Ares. Tell them "All this business I *wanted* to give you, but you did not make product available so I had to give my business to someone who did." If there are two words any business hates it's "Lost Sales"... Anybody else who's been having to buy 3rd-party ships should do this too.

As it is, I think if I can find good sources for ~1/1000 British open-gallery three-deckers I may end up archiving all my SGN108 models (except one to go on a 201 base as late Victory herself) for collection purposes and the replacements for display/gameplay.
    Well, as I have said on other threads recently, I would buy at least two of every early USN ship produced for the War of 1812, Quasi-War, and Barbary Wars....been hoping and waiting for quite some time...

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Bill, receipts talk louder because they're a hard dollars-and-cents-somebody-else-made-at-your-expense number. :) If I didn't have a full inbox I'd ask you to DM me your email and we could start discussing what ships might cluster together as 6-or-more-to-a-SKU "potential production groups"--I've long been chewing on this trying to develop usable slates for both the old Continental Navy (BHR, Thorn, Atalanta) and the proper USN (so far only Constitution).

Biggest thing that usually holds me back is I wanna see the blueprints before I take a position, and there are few of those plans that have survived. One would think commercial yards would have reused draughts more for similar building contracts...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Well, I still have not finished collecting all of the released ships, but I would like to see some merchant ships at least. Frigates lived for seeing these nice fat money pots lumbering over the horizon.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Well, I still have not finished collecting all of the released ships, but I would like to see some merchant ships at least. Frigates lived for seeing these nice fat money pots lumbering over the horizon.
    Download the add-on Log for SGN116 off Ares' website and if you have a full double set that's four French Indiamen for Capt. Pellew to chase. :) Frankly, the larger EIM's look very much like, and frequently were navalized into, 64-gun SOL's or 44- to 50-gun cruisers, so the 116 log combined with any two-decker model should give you the makings of a nice fat convoy.

More merchie sculpts are of course better, but this might at least give you some scenario fodder in the interim. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Bill, receipts talk louder because they're a hard dollars-and-cents-somebody-else-made-at-your-expense number. :) If I didn't have a full inbox I'd ask you to DM me your email and we could start discussing what ships might cluster together as 6-or-more-to-a-SKU "potential production groups"--I've long been chewing on this trying to develop usable slates for both the old Continental Navy (BHR, Thorn, Atalanta) and the proper USN (so far only Constitution).

Biggest thing that usually holds me back is I wanna see the blueprints before I take a position, and there are few of those plans that have survived. One would think commercial yards would have reused draughts more for similar building contracts...
    DB --
    let me know when your inbox will take DMs and I'll send it along.
    B.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Or maybe just get you a Stats Committee cred and start a debate/discusssion thread there. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Or maybe just get you a Stats Committee cred and start a debate/discusssion thread there. :)
    If you other Stats com members are happy with Bill joining your ranks, he is welcome to join you. I notice that thus far since 2017 only yourself and I have posted on the Stats Committee sticky.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

If you other Stats com members are happy with Bill joining your ranks, he is welcome to join you. I notice that thus far since 2017 only yourself and I have posted on the Stats Committee sticky.

Rob.
    Didn't know about the stats committee sticky -- going there now -- I wonder if we could create a special area on the site dedicated to "Nascent US Navy" for threads on War of 1812, Barbary Wars, and Quasi-War discussions -- also could move specific discussions and stats related to these events and ships that participated in them (like the area dedicated to the Napoleonic Wars). BTW -- love to help with the Stats Committee in any capacity -- it will give me an opportunity to demonstrate how numerically challenged I am...

PS -- Could not find any sticky labeled "Stats Committee" -- I must need a new navigator's mate.....
    Last edited by Wentworth; 09-25-2020 at 13:25.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
    Didn't know about the stats committee sticky -- going there now -- I wonder if we could create a special area on the site dedicated to "Nascent US Navy" for threads on War of 1812, Barbary Wars, and Quasi-War discussions -- also could move specific discussions and stats related to these events and ships that participated in them (like the area dedicated to the Napoleonic Wars). BTW -- love to help with the Stats Committee in any capacity -- it will give me an opportunity to demonstrate how numerically challenged I am...

PS -- Could not find any sticky labeled "Stats Committee" -- I must need a new navigator's mate.....
    It's an Invite Only subforum, Rob or Keith have to add you to the appropriate usergroup.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have done that DB.
    Bill you should have access now.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Rob.
    I'm quite happy with that and would even question if there's any point of keeping that part locked up.

By the way, Rob, what sticky is that?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This one Jonas.
    It was sort of going to be our link with the membership.
    Rob.

https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....ip-information.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Yes, but the posts by Db includes all ship sizes, so nobody else had any chance of posting anything there without making a redundant post or upsetting the order, so of course nobody else could post there. Nothing remarkable about that.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Yes, but the posts by Db includes all ship sizes, so nobody else had any chance of posting anything there without making a redundant post or upsetting the order, so of course nobody else could post there. Nothing remarkable about that.
    Actually, while it might have meant redundancy, my intent was for those "framework" first posts to be a TL-DR summary, while allowing room for discussion down-thread and linking to that in the indexes. Kinda moot anyway, might be better to clean house and start fresh now.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB