Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default Stats for ships.

I am now seeking stats for my Gunboats and Galleys.
    Can the stats committee help out?

I need ship mat info, ship card info and also sailing decks and the angles for my cannon on the ship bases. Any of the above would be very handy before I start printing these items off.
    Thanks.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Excellent question, though I'm not sure we ever finished building a framework to try to answer it. Really, this game isn't built for anything below 14-16 guns... had Andrea brought me in at the conception I would have told him to build out the entire stat range, starting with say a 10-gun brig and building up all the way to Santissima Trinidad, from square one.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Guess I will just have to see what fits the game play for any particular scenario we are doing and adjust as best I can. then DB. Thanks fot your answer.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I'm picturing sailing decks G or C for galleys, C or A for gunboats. A rowing vessel must come to a complete stop before pivoting and may pivot up to 90 degrees. Pivoting vessels move before all vessels using cards. A vessel that has pivoted may move at a speed of 1 using a card on the next turn. Galleys and gunboats do not need to plan two cards ahead. They only plan the card for the upcoming turn.

In reverse, they cannot move at greater than speed 1 or turn tighter than 7/3.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Low musketfire scores compared to sailing ships. Galleys can take crew hits as crew or speed, since crew hits are mainly morale hits and speed hits are mainly the departure of prisoners or slaves. Perhaps gunboats take crew hits as crew and speed?

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Galleys get 3 damage boxes, 2-1-1. Gunboats get 2, 1-1. How about a 45 or 60 degree forward firing arc? This is because galleys typically had 1 big gun supplemented with small guns firing forward. The gunboats can have a 2-1 if they are only carrying a carronade. Galleys have a stern arc that is -1 of the bow arc strength.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Dobbs, those sound like a pretty good framework to start playtesting on.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Now I have to get some of those galleys! I've started a Langton order...

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Here's a thought. Maybe galleys and gunboats have to draw an E chit each time a critical hit is drawn. A crew indicates that the hit happens, on a 0 it doesn't. This is because with a few big guns, I would expect more smashing and less special hits than a broadside boat.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Combining these with my Weight of Shot rules really make galleys and gunboats one hit wonders, which I'm pretty sure they were in the day.

https://www.sailsofglory.org/entry.p...Weight-of-Shot

This enables the rowing vessels hit hard with their single big gun, but they're still fragile. For instance, their numerical damage is unmodified, but if tangling with a sloop or small frigate their guns are do less damage because of their size.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Good point.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for all this info chaps. It is a good starting point and I will configure my stats and ship mats accordingly.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Rob, to make sure that I order the right ships, do you have part numbers for the galleys and gunboats?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And the answer is:- three masted Galley is SR 15, two masted Galley is SR9 and the Gunboats K5

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here are a few trial ship base cards going on your ideas Dobbs.
    What thinkest thou?

Galley

Gunboat

Gunboat with a midships gun also.

Red dots fir the size of the Langton boats
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Verily, they look pretty darned good, Rob. What angle is that? Did you mean for the one gunboat to have a Burden of 2?

I'm thinking that we needn't concern ourselves with galleys or gunboats under sail, as what commander would fight a vessel that way when its primary advantage is rowing?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Dobbs,
    I decided that the gunboat which had the option of firing to the flank would need to be strengthened by baulks of timber to withstand the forces of such a large gun. As I understood it the Galleys and gunboats would close under sail and then fight using the sweeps. If the winds were vey light or if there were a calm this would give the advantage to them completely. I am not sure how fast they could move under sweeps alone. I would imagine the Galleys to be faster than the bluff and weighty gunboats?
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Wow Rob very nice info and news here
    I has been out for some time
    I like your stats . I would like to see some gunboats only with front angle .
    Kind regards

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I will see what I can do for you.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hows that Ferrante? Would you like a name adding?

Rob.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Hows that Ferrante? Would you like a name adding?

Rob.
    Hello Rob for the Spaniard I was thinking about “Ntra Sra Del Carmen” or “Fénix”

Thank you a lot , regards

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here you go Ferrante.
    Last edited by Bligh; 10-01-2020 at 05:27.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Rob thank you a lot for that
    I have to remove the Algerians flag and ad the Spanish , but I will print it

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Are you OK with that or do you need it doing?
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Yes Rob if you could put the Spanish flag I will be grateful the rest of my life

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I will get onto it today Ferrante. Can't promise that it will be flapping in the breeze though.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here you go.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Thank you a lot Rob
    I am going to print it now with my new printer

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

How do you like your new printer and did you manage your printing OK Ferrante?
    Rob.