Thread: Ahoy! Austrian/Italian fleet at the horizon!

Landsman
    Italy

Log Entries
    Name
    Damiano

Default Ahoy! Austrian/Italian fleet at the horizon!

Hi all!
    I am an Italian living just across the border in Austria, Villach. I played some games last year, but I only recently had the possibility to get a standard set plus some additional ships. Looking forward to learning the rules and play scenarios and even campaigns!
    I am already spreading the game among friends and colleagues of course :D
    Sweet winds and sharp shooting!
    Damiano

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Welcome to the Anchorage Damiano. I am sure that as soon as your shipmates come off watch they will join with me in giving you every help in settling in at the Anchorage.
    May you always sail safe and with a fair wind.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, Damiano, from here in the United Kingdom. If you have any questions about the game, please feel free to ask them. You will find that the members here are very friendly and helpful.

Landsman
    Italy

Log Entries
    Name
    Damiano

Thanks! I will be a silent observer for a while, I still have to learn a lot and understand the full set of rules. Not to mention the strategies, this game can be really deep in that regard.
    And considering that we are now 4 or 5 people playing here in Villach, campaigns and such are not far in the horizon. Hurrah! :D

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Advice: Start with the Basic Rules, play on just those until you get confident, then add one piece (sail settings, wind direction, etc) at a time and repeat the process. Advanced Rules, especially when you load up all the Optionals, pile up quick so it's best to work up to them. :)

Welcome aboard!
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very good advice from DB there, Damiano. We always employ even a cut down basic rules when introducing the game at shows.
    It is good to hear that you have a group of likeminded friends to battle with.
    Are any of them members here on the Anchorage?
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Hello Damiano. So, will you sail in the Austro-Hungarian Navy or the Italian? ☺

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If you check Damiano's profile Gary you will see that he has chosen the British Navy.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    If you check Damiano's profile Gary you will see that he has chosen the British Navy.
    Rob.
    Whoops, my bad sorry.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

No worries Gary. Just thought i would clear it up for you.
    Rob.

Landsman
    Italy

Log Entries
    Name
    Damiano

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Hello Damiano. So, will you sail in the Austro-Hungarian Navy or the Italian? ☺
    Given the chance I would sail for the Venetian republic :D
    But unfortunately at that point in history that was impossible. :(
    Austro hungarian had very few ships and only one port, near my hometown actually, in Trieste... seems like a loosing party 🤣

Landsman
    Italy

Log Entries
    Name
    Damiano

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Very good advice from DB there, Damiano. We always employ even a cut down basic rules when introducing the game at shows.
    It is good to hear that you have a group of likeminded friends to battle with.
    Are any of them members here on the Anchorage?
    Rob.
    None of them yet here in anchorage, I have to admit.
    I am the provider of ships and rules in the group ��
    Good advice there, thanks! We did already a couple of evenings with basic rules, next week we will do some introduction to some of the standard rules, I guess, like raking shots and such. Much more tactical at that point

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

There is certainly plenty of choice to go for. Even I don't use all the rules. So long as you agree with your other players you can pick and mix what bits you like. The main thing is that you enjoy the game.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

A belated welcome to you Damiano, hope you are enjoying this great game, if I can offer any help at all dont hesitate.

Landsman
    Italy

Log Entries
    Name
    Damiano

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    A belated welcome to you Damiano, hope you are enjoying this great game, if I can offer any help at all dont hesitate.
    Thanks Chris!