Gregory Fremont-Barnes
    ISBN:
    978 1 84603 138 0
    Category:
    Reference
    Format:
    Paperback
    Summary:
    I wasn't overly impressed by this Battle Orders title from Osprey Publishing, which is unusual, as I'm a fan of their books and own many. It is an introductory title on the subject but I feel there are other books that contain much of the same material and present it better, such as Blake's 'The Illustrated Companion to Nelson's Navy' or, to go to the source, Lavery's 'Nelson's Navy: The Ships, Men and Organisation, 1793 - 1815'. As such I wouldn't really recommend it but it does have a saving grace: a list of British ships and captains, from first rates to unrated, for every major battle from The Glorious First of June, 1794 to Plattsburg, 1814! I have never seen the British orders of battle documented like this so they alone provide a unique and invaluable resource of the period. For those wishing to recreate historical battles on the British side in Sails of Glory using available ship models, this could be helpful. For the rest of the information it contains, I'd recommend the titles I mentioned earlier first.
    Attached Images Attached Images