Thread: Another bubble bursts!

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Default Another bubble bursts!

I am probably a bit old to be just finding this out, but after thinking about a scenario involving the Bon Homme Richard, I looked up John Paul Jones on Wiki. This is part of what is there:-

After having killed one of his crew members with a sword, he fled to the Colony of Virginia and around 1775 joined the newly founded Continental Navy

In April 1789 Jones was arrested and accused of raping a 12-year-old girl named Katerina Goltzwart.

Jones, however, admitted to prosecutors that he had "often frolicked" with the girl "for a small cash payment", only denying that he had deprived her of her virginity.

And this guy is heralded as being one of the fathers of the US Navy??? A murderer and a child molester?

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    I am probably a bit old to be just finding this out, but after thinking about a scenario involving the Bon Homme Richard, I looked up John Paul Jones on Wiki. This is part of what is there:-

After having killed one of his crew members with a sword, he fled to the Colony of Virginia and around 1775 joined the newly founded Continental Navy

In April 1789 Jones was arrested and accused of raping a 12-year-old girl named Katerina Goltzwart.

Jones, however, admitted to prosecutors that he had "often frolicked" with the girl "for a small cash payment", only denying that he had deprived her of her virginity.

And this guy is heralded as being one of the fathers of the US Navy??? A murderer and a child molester?
    Haha! The owner of our main parts supplier is a direct descendant and always said his famous ancestor was a ne'er-do-well. And now we know the rest of the story!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am sure there are a lot of stones in history which are better not turned over.
    Must say I never cared too much for the chap after he sank me in 77.
    Bligh.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Many famous historical figures have a 'skeleton in the closet' from sometime in their lives.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quite agree Dave. if wr look too closely we would not have many statues left!

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Arthur Phillip, celebrated as the first Governor of South Wales, kidnapped an Aboriginal from Australia. A kidnapper! Celebrated!

Like was said before, you can dig throughout someone's history and find bad things. Jone's accusations are especially disturbing, but two things can be true: he was a monster but also a naval genius. There's no excusing what he did. What are we to do? Erase history and his accomplishments?

This is all I'm going to say on this topic because the current trend of revisionist history irks me.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Brian. We don't want to stray into the domain of clockwork Parrots.

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 08-10-2020 at 07:55.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Sadly, there's a lot of darkness in the world, but at least we can find some good in a friendly game.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by jasonb View Post
    Sadly, there's a lot of darkness in the world, but at least we can find some good in a friendly game.
    You are absolutely right there. I love my weekly games with my buddies.