Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's on Your Workbench for August 2020?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default What's on Your Workbench for August 2020?

I have now returned to a much neglected project. Well over two years ago Clipper cast me the Santissima Trinidad. I am at long last returning to complete it as a break, before taking on any more Xebecs.
    Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Painted the undercoat last evening.
    Now comes the paint matching stage.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Red paint done, and peg added.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

The red looks good. I'm looking forward to seeing this one completed. I like the paint job.

Was red a common color for ships?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Commerce de Marseille and Bonhomme Richard are the only other two I have come across, but paint jobs did change from year to year so it is hard to say with any certainty. Even paintings of the Trinidad vary. Some show it as depicted by my ship will be when finished. Some have a blue decorated stern, and some show it all gilded. The black strip I am giving mine often has a white border in several depictions. If any other shipmates have examples of reddish ships please feel free to chip in here.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I think I read that the French liked red ships. I followed Jonas' and Chris' examples and painted on of my French 74's red to good effect.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I've seen paintings of frigates and 3rd rates being red? Cerberus, Surprise and also San Nicolas.

Link: https://www.todoababor.es/historia/p...o-san-nicolas/
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Thanks for finding those pictures Jim. The red looks very stunning on these ships.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Great stuff lads. Keep them coming.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Abducting and fitting sails.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sails painted and fitted temp befor finishing the deck painting and adding the stripes.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

That's coming along great Rob!

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20200806_073457.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  164.6 KB

I decided that I wanted another brig but had no more Hebe spankers to sacrifice. I'm trying my hand at building one from sheet styrene and rod. It won't have the reefing lines of my other brigs, but maybe it won't stand out?
    Last edited by Dobbs; 08-06-2020 at 06:40.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Name:  20200806_073457.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  164.6 KB

I decided that I wanted another brig but had no more Hebe spankers to sacrifice. I'm trying my hand at building one from sheet styrene and rod. It won't have the reefing lines of my other brigs, but maybe it won't stand out?
    Suggestion, maybe next time you have to scrap an Ares ship use its parts as masters to cast molds in RTV rubber? Then you can just cast more resin mast/jib/etc components as needed...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Suggestion, maybe next time you have to scrap an Ares ship use its parts as masters to cast molds in RTV rubber? Then you can just cast more resin mast/jib/etc components as needed...
    I've thought of that, DB. I even have the mold making materials, but I haven't tried it. I'm not sure how one would make a mold of something so flat as a sail, but I guess Ares knows!

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20200806_173916.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  119.9 KB

The brig's new fore and aft mainsail.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20200806_192829.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  153.4 KB

A dry fit of the mainmast.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Great stuff lads. Keep them coming.
    Rob.
    Name:  20200806_180906.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  88.8 KB

My finger is still in the way a bit but I have been able to work on ships again. USS Constellation is my current project. The modifications include installing rigging tie-off rails at the base of each mast, quarter boat davits, cut away the plastic spars and replaced with steel rod at the proper angle for a quarter wind, extended the fighting tops, topgallant mast platforms, and finally a custom dolphin striker.

Name:  20200805_193357.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  109.8 KB
    Name:  20200805_193419.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  98.9 KB
    Name:  20200805_193511.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  81.9 KB
    Name:  20200806_180136.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  136.6 KB
    Name:  20200806_180150.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  119.9 KB
    Name:  20200806_180104.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  152.3 KB
    Name:  20200806_180122.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  103.2 KB

Sails go on next

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Alex

Looking good! That is one of the Black Seas ships right? The larger scale really brings out the details.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post

For reefing lines you could just glue sewing button hole thread to the sail Dobbs. It is a bit thicker than ordinary sewing thread which tends to vanish in the glue and paint.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looking fine Vol. Good enough for a display model. I await the sails going on with interest.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Got my black stripes done now.

Quote Originally Posted by Newtzilla View Post
    Looking good! That is one of the Black Seas ships right? The larger scale really brings out the details.
    Yes Alex, this is my third Black Seas ship from the US Squadron pack. After this there is one more 38 gun frigate, two 44 gun super frigates, and five more brigs to go. However, I will most likely cut up the brigs to make coversions to corvettes and cutters.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now painted and sails rigged, but I am not happy with the flag. I will change it for this one today.

Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Amazing work Rob! I love that red paint job! The flag looks great to me!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Bryan.
    Frstly thanks for the Rep. i have removed offending flag and printed a new replacement. Just a matter of a flagstaff and a bit of glue to complere a job that has been on the stocks about as long as it took to build the actual ship.
    Rob.

I got the sails on today

Name:  20200808_203948.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  129.3 KBName:  20200808_203938.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  142.1 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You have certainly done her proud Vol. What paint and method do you use to get that effect on your sails?
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is my Trinidad now on her first cruise, replete with improved flags, and stern windows to the directions given by Gary (McDorf) I still owe him for the paints!

Next project for August will be a Sloop on fire.

Rob.

Very nice Rob! And the flag is a definite improvement

You have certainly done her proud Vol. What paint and method do you use to get that effect on your sails?
    Rob.
    Thanks Rob. Well the Warlord supplied sails are too heavy card stock. When wetted with PVA and water in order to shape properly and lock in that shape, the ink runs and the layers separate. So the first two ships I printed colour copies on plain printer paper. This made them thinner and the ink didn't run. This time a made the sails and tried to duplicate the stain patterns on the supplied sails, but not as dark. I started out painting them with a one to one water PVA mix, then shaping them over varying cylindrical objects. When nearly dry, I place them curve sode up on a soft folded cloth. I take a pencil rounded eraser and push it into the lower edges of the sails for additional shaping. They are painted with Antique White. Then I lightly brush Linen in vertical strokes along the bottom edge with longer strokes against the outer edges. Lastly I go over this with a lighter layer of Country Twill. Using a tan colour pencil I draw in the reefs. The bunt & clew lines are thread added after the sails are mounted. All sails are tied onto the spars. The only glue used is a touch at the knots.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very erudite explanation there Vol. I have shied away from playing about with Ares sails, but even I might now be able to give them a bash.
    Thanks for the info.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 08-09-2020 at 13:43.

Very erudite explaination there Vol. I have shied away from playing about with Ares sails, but even I might now be able to give them a bash.
    Thanks for the info.
    Rob.
    Haha! Aries sails are a whole different beast. Very tedious business to cut away the ugly bits without damaging the sails!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have only done that once, and that was for a conversion. I was not totally satisfied with the result. It certainly weakened the masts and took almost as long to complete as the rest of the conversion. For bashing about with kids at shows, not a modification that I would recommend.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 08-10-2020 at 03:57.

Oh I always have replaced the masts with steel rod so they are much stronger than the originals. They won't snap off at the deck like the originals.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Oh I always have replaced the masts with steel rod so they are much stronger than the originals. They won't snap off at the deck like the originals.
    As you may have seen Vol, subsequent to that experiment I have now taken to using steel masts with the cross trees silver soldered on. They will take any amount of hammer and also allow a very strong bond with the sails without any flexing.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is my ship card for the Trinidad.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And here is my Ship mat.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Also the base card.

As you may have seen Vol, subsequent to that experiment I have now taken to using steel masts with the cross trees silver soldered on. They will take any amount of hammer and also allow a very strong bond with the sails without any flexing.
    Rob.
    Haha, well soldering is a bit more than I want to try. With my luck I would just be burning myself all of the time. I just tie them on and glue. Allows a bit of flex and the rigging holds them in place.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is one I did earlier and then the finished article.
    See no hands needed, so non to get burnt.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20200810_195413.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  144.1 KB

Here's my attempt to make the hull distinctive. I've decided to keep the mainsail simple. If it bugs me, I can always get another Hebe and explore making molds.

I finished the Constellation tonight

Name:  20200810_195508.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  145.5 KB
    Name:  20200810_195516.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  140.3 KB
    Name:  20200810_195936.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  116.1 KB
    Name:  20200810_195954.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  149.8 KB
    Name:  20200810_200011.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  146.3 KB
    Name:  20200810_200021.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  141.8 KB
    Name:  20200810_200116.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  106.4 KB
    Name:  20200810_200130.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  137.7 KB
    Name:  20200810_200225.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  208.2 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It certainly gives a fresh look to the ship Dobbs.
    If you decide to make sail moulds it will be interesting to follow your methods.

My recourse to cutting them out of plasticard and then shaping them one at a time is a very slow process compared to batch production from a mould.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yesterday I started work on producing my Sloop on fire model, and hit an immediate snag. The deck of the Sloop is not as deep as a ship of the line and the battery would thus protrude above the main-deck. Also the stem of the earring would put the light up in the rigging.
    I solved the first problem by moving the seat of the fire to the Quarter deck where it would just come up flush with the deck when drilled in.
    The length of the stem was another matter. To make the circuit a small amount of the copper inner had to be showing below the stainless steel outer sleeve. I could not, therefore, just cut down the stem. Eventually I managed to grip the earring in my vice an by filing the stainless as I rotated the earring with my other hand. I filed away the stainless until I could just see a hint of the copper all round the cut and the pulled the outer off it with a pair of pliers.
    Job done.
    Rob.

Before and after.

Great work with the Santissima, Rob!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Sven. It has been a long time coming off the slipway.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just spotted the Rep also my dear Comte. Thank you also for that.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The next job on the ship on fire was to open up ahole the size of the Led holder. To do this I first used a 1mm drill as a pilot and then opened up the hole to 4mm.