Thread: Finding and Saving the Vasa

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Default Finding and Saving the Vasa

Here's an interesting article on the finding and saving of the warship Vasa. Many years ago when I was in Scandinavia I had the opportunity to visit the Vasa museum in Stockholm -- it was great fun.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/t...=pocket-newtab

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Bill.
    Thanks for the link.
    You can find a bit about the Vasa, als here on the Anchorage.

https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....highlight=Vasa

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Hi Bill.
    Thanks for the link.
    You can find a bit about the Vasa, als here on the Anchorage.

https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....highlight=Vasa

Rob.
    Thanks for that link, Rob. Interesting to see that David Manley has been to the Vasa museum recently -- I was their in the late 1970's -- I'll bet it has changed dramatically since I was there. Around that same time I went to Denmark and visited the Roskilde Viking Ship museum in Roskilde Fjord as well after visiting the Viking burial mounds outside of Stockholm.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I'm fairly sure that Texas did something about it a while ago too, but could just not find it.
    Maybe he will point you to it.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Thank you for drawing our attention to his article, Bill.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Thanks for the link. Very interesting article. I remember making a model of it when I was young. Not sure what kit though. Maybe Revell.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Hi.
    I don't know if I have written much about it. It's a little before our time period.

There's happened a lot since the 70ies. I visited the first time in the early 80ies. Then they propped up the wreck and sprayed it with some awful stuff that was supposed to protect it. It was in more or less a huge metal shack.

Since then it's been moved to a museum building built specifically for the ship and it's exibitions. They have restored and painted parts found on the bottom next to the wreck and mounted them on the ship to show more of how it looked originally. When I last visited must have been a few years ago. It's two very differeent experiences.

The official site: https://www.vasamuseet.se/en
    Last edited by TexaS; 06-10-2020 at 01:54.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for that Jonas. The Mary Rose went through much the same process and it sounds as if Vasa is displayed in very much the same way as she now is. The way the show the bulk of the ship with intermittent projections onto the hull to show what went on in each area is enthralling, and the fact that as you walk along the viewing areas they have indications of what that half of the deck(now missing) would have been like with the artifacts in cases behind you as you progress from deck to deck level.
    Rob.