Thread: Maneuver deck confusion/mistery

Landsman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Marc

Default Maneuver deck confusion/mistery

Hello!

I'm quite new in SoG and I have the feeling I'm approaching this the wrong way. Hope you can help me.

I'm ready to expand my fleet, but I'm having hard time collecting information in order to plan further acquisitions. (what I want next actually...)

I'm used to Armada and xwing, where I can find a lot of information (all) of all available and compare (very easy), and here is not the case.

Thanks to your forum I have managed to know a lot, but i still have a big unknown space in the maneuver part, that i find extremely important..

How should I do to not buy blind, out of the starter set (A,B,C,D decks)?

Many thanks in advance!

best regards,

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Edward

Greetings

There’s a file in the game aides section in the files area which is called sgn stats Wave3. The version I could see is 2017 but the stats list most of the ships and include things like the manuever deck.

One of the tabs lists some but not all of the decks. This might help a bit.

Regards

Edward

Landsman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Marc

Hi Edward,

Yes, I've seen you have a couple of xls files with tons of information that goes from wave 1 to 3, with this I can have a pretty good idea comparing ships and know what maneuver deck they operate with. Been very helpful.

My problem is that out of A,B,C,D, I have no clue what the other decks are made of.

If I missunderstood you don't bother to correct me, and thanks anyway :)

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, Marc, from here near Norwich in the United Kingdom.

When you buy a new Ares model ship it comes complete with its own manoeuvre deck and ship log in the box, so, if it uses the G deck, there will be a set of G deck cards in the box.

Please do not be afraid to ask more questions. You will find that the members here are very helpful and helpful.

Landsman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Marc

Hi Naharath, thanks for the answer. Yes, I understood that part, is cool. I just want to know in advance what I'm getting, not planning to buy all the ships (not particulary cheap) to find afterwards which suit my strategy better. As I said, I find it a bit cryptic compared to other similar games (armada, xwing).

At the same time It will be very hard convincing any members of my club with this premises... we are all fighting many fronts and our budget is limited. The game is very interesting, but for me is time to an accurate/selective expansion.

I just want to know what decks other than a, b, c and d are made of, I have the feeling it is a reasonable question. There are 9 decks I know nothing about (9?), it is quite a lot.

I have spent quite some time already, and I've been able to get more excited about the game thanks to the comunity, Don't like the lack of transparency to plan further acquisitions, and it can stop with the starter set, it is good enough to play in a casual game with a friend, but I will persist a little longer to take it a step further.

Best regards!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Is the speed of the ships , the firepower, or just the makeup of the decks which you require Marc?
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Landsman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Marc

Hi Rob,
    The maneuver decks cards (except a, b,c,d), the rest of the info is plenty of,

Thanks!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Would you like a synopsis of what is in each deck.
    I could do this but writing it up may take some time.
    You may understand that Ares copyright does not allow us to publish pictures of whole decks on line.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Landsman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Marc

Hi Rob,

I found this images online, that format would very good idea and it is not a scan, and the effort is small.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1553314/maneuver-decks

If it cannot be like this, whatever it suits you best, cannot expect somebody else wasting their time (big time).

I'm surprised there isn't more people in need for this, doubt people buys everything straight...

Much appreciated whatever it comes,

best regards,
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

This might help you, Marc:

Card Comparison.pdf

Any deck in the same row is the same, only with more or less cards.

Landsman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Marc

Hi Dobbs,

Yes, I was looking for more detail, but this gives me an excellent overview. Love the house rules addition :)
    Nice work and many thanks!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If you still require them I can easily knock out the ones I have in that format for you Marc.

It might not be a bad idea to do the whole set like that for everyone here. Leave it with me but let me know if you still want it.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Hi Marc and welcome to you from here in Bristol.

I am not too sure I fully understand what you are wanting here, but it looks like you have got what you were looking for.

My take here is an overview for you, which if it helps great, if not then just ignor.

I think the first thing to understand is we have a dividing line with the ships, we have the Ships of the line which range from 64 guns ships and moves up to 74 gun, 80 gun 3rd rates onto the 100 gun plus first rates, currently there are no official 2 rate ships, 90 -100 guns.
    Each ship has its own deck of cards, but common to everY deck in the game are the three red border cards showing the “In Irons” manoeuvre and a further 8 black/grey border cards for use when a ship looses a mast or two. The rest of the deck will give you the manoeuvre left and right turns, side slips, straights and can be between 12 and 18 cards depending on the size of the ship.
    These ships are intended to fight fleet type actions and usually fought Against like type ships of the line.

The other type of vessel in the game are frigates and sloops, the sloops are your smallest and cannot take much punishment but are useful in scenarios These have the same standard red and black border cards bur usually have a greater number of the straight and turn cards.
    Frigates are your one v one type ships and were the ones sniffing around looking for privateer and such but rarely engaged ships of the line As it was bad form but not unheard of.
    Most frigates in the game range from 32 gun upto 50 gun ships, again the decks for these have a common number for sailing into the wind and lost masts, the rest are your turns.

Off the top of my head the number of cards in a deck are 29 for a third rate ship, Elizabeth and Temeraire type, Less for the larger ships.
    Frigates have decks of between 36 and 40+ cards, if you want I can check my decks and give a precise count.

The thing to remember here, in my humble that is, this is not a X wing type game where you can tailor a ship to Give you a certain style you need tolook at what you are wanting to play, small frigate type actions or fleet types, of course you can mix things up, it is a game in the end, but the decks and ships are a bit more fun if used as intended.

Hope my waffle has not confused you and it helps with your games, but of course can be taken with a pinch of salt as you like.
    Enjoy this excellent game and if any questions just ask, someone will have an anser for you.

Landsman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    If you still require them I can easily knock out the ones I have in that format for you Marc.

It might not be a bad idea to do the whole set like that for everyone here. Leave it with me but let me know if you still want it.
    Rob.
    Hi there,

First I have to apologyze, so the information was there and I did not see it. In the doc "Sails_of_Glory_info_List.xlsx", there is a tab that I did not see with all movement card information.

And Rob, I'm not sure if you refer to complete the decks with the photos of the full deck (like the ones already online), If it is not wrong with the copyright, I do think it would benefit the newcomers like me.
    It is more visual,, easy to have an idea of what the deck is about. The information is there as I have said, but it would be a friendlyer format.

Thanks again to every addition and to your excellent forum,

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Wilco that Marc.
    It shall be done.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just starting a new thread with the first of the decks up to E today. Will post the link here when done.

https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...DECKS-OVERVIEW

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 05-06-2020 at 10:17.