Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Default I Don't Do Windows (very well)

I am trying to do the windows in houses, and not pleased with the result.

Am I correct that those of you who dragged me down this path paint the house and then do the windows? I tried that and it looked like the house burned down.

If anyone has guidance, I await on the tips of my toes!

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Try the other way then, see if painting the windows then the wall around 'em works for you. :)

If it helps, what I used to do with 1/700 planes for War at Sea customs:
    1. Canopies/Glass
    2. Lightest paint color
    3. Next darker
    4. And so on, finishing with black for radial engines

The exception was countershading on ships, where the white countershade was last after above sequence.

Try painting a three-tone mid-war Sea Blue-Intermediate Blue-White scheme on an SBD the size of your thumbnail sometime! LOL
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sounds as if you do the windows in black Dobbs.
    Windows usually reflect some light. I do my windows with a blue grey wash and then just add a tiny spot of silver in about three quaters of the way up. DB's idea of doing the deep recesses first is a sound idea for any paint jobs.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I also have two special "Glass Mixes" I used... if I remember correctly, for light surfaces I used 3 parts Dark Sea Blue to 1 part Silver, for dark or mixed surfaces 3 parts a lighter blue like Duck Egg or Intermediate Blue (the light blue in the middle of a three-tone Corsair) to one part silver. Just enough to add a little reflectivity.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Gary ( McDorf) put me onto something similar for the ships stern galleries DB. I used it on the last ship I did and found it excellent.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

For that post where I explained it - https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...ll=1#post90072

In short for the above; undercoat with a white, GW have a blue glaze (as does Vallejo), then finish with Army Painter's gloss/glass varnish
    As you'll be working on (I'd assume) larger windows you might want to use a grey instead of a white to give it a more natural colour for the blue wash.
    It might be worth trying with a light grey base coat on the glass then apply the Army Painter's gloss varnish.
    No-one expects a ship full of dwarves.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good to hear you are alive and Kicking Gary.
    I still owe you for those paints!

Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

I'm slowly working my way through my backlog, and learning how to use my airbrush!
    No-one expects a ship full of dwarves.

You can also touch it off with a bit of ModPodge to give it some glisten