Thread: Remote gaming with Sails of Glory

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

Default Remote gaming with Sails of Glory

Hello all:

My apologies if this has already been posted, but I could not find anything like it in the fora.

I've had an idea for playing Sails remotely that only requires a smart phone, or a tablet, with the free app Zoom on it. A tablet is probably the better choice.

Basically it goes like this:

Two players set up an identical game, as if there were going to be two games going on.

One player starts a zoom meeting, and the other player joins it. The first player to move changes their phone to use the camera on the back. This shows the other player the game. The moving player displays their card and moves the ship. The other player uses the same card to move that ship on their table as well. Once the first player is done, they change their phone back to the front camera and the other player swaps their's around and completes their move in the same fashion, alternating until the game is finished.

I have not tried this yet, and am looking for another person to give it a try. PM me if you would like to try it. I am at home like most of you and can adjust my schedule to play anytime between 8am and 10pm US east coast time.

Zoom is a video conferencing app that allows two people to hold meetings with no time limit. You can hold meetings with three or more people, but those meetings are limited to 40 minutes. Setting up a meeting takes about a minute, so the time limit isn't that big of a deal for multiple player games, assuming it works for two player games. Zoom also allows you to record the meeting, so sharing the experience is simple.

One word of CAUTION, should you try this yourself. "Zoom bombing" is when someone not invited to the meeting determines the meeting ID and joins anyway. The easy way to avoid this is to assign a password to the meeting (an easy step) or require the meeting host to approve anyone joining the meeting, which is a little more tedious. You can do both, of course.

If I can find another interested player, I will post an AAR.

Michael

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    James

Hey Michael. Certainly a fun idea! Unfortunately Zoom has been killing my cell data and battery, so probably wouldn't be able to give it a go. Good luck! Excited to hear how it turns out.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Hello , this is a very nice idea
    I am using zoom for job now and it works spectacular

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrante View Post
    Hello , this is a very nice idea
    I am using zoom for job now and it works spectacular
    PM me if you would like to give it a try.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

This is one occasion when the lines on the official Sails of Glory mats may be an advantage because they will help participants place their models in exactly the same position at the start.

There is already an online tool to play SoG called Tabletop Simulator. Essentially a PC game that imports miniatures and board games onto your PC and it does have a chat function I believe. A table top appears on your screen with the models and measuring tools which you manipulate with your mouse. There is a dice cup for games requiring dice. You buy the base game on Steam or from their website and then you get upload various game modules most of which are free. Their is one for SoG as well as a number of other miniatures games. I played Trafalgar with 6 other guys using Osprey's "Fighting Sail" rules. Once you get the hang of moving the ships and measuring it works great. One of the guys on a Discord gaming channel I am in has played SoG as well.

www.Tabletopsimulator.com

Several issues I have had with Zoom this weekend: Video stuttering and freezing. I think you can work around the 40 minute time limit on the free version by stopping and restarting your session.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Dave

Is anyone on here using Tabletop Simulator for SoG? Just noticed it on there recently and was looking to give it a try.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

I have tabletop simulator but still need to know more about running SOG .
    I dont know how to select ships :)