Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's on your workbench for April.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Default What's on your workbench for April.

Good Morning to everyone, I've been waiting a long time to post something here and finally I've done something vaguely Sails related.

Pirates

More Pirates

Yet More Pirates

And the Revenue Men

Take care out there it's a dangerous world, especially with my Pirates on the loose.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Mine isn't so much pirate-y, more Sci-Fi-y.
    Name:  20200403_141837.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  174.4 KB
    Name:  DSC_0415.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  93.0 KB
    Name:  OI000045.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  130.1 KB
    Name:  DSC_0396.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  147.1 KB
    No-one expects a ship full of dwarves.

Default Oak & Iron ships

Ok I started working on my Oak & Iron ships. Here is my workbench. Notice I am also working on Black Seas ships. I have a SoG Leander in the shot for scale comparison. The completeed O&I ship next to it is a fluyt, a Dutch merchant design popular in the 17th century. They were known for their cargo capacity and steady if slow sailing ability as well as their rounded stern.

Name:  Workbench.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  244.8 KB

Name:  O&I scale.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  234.2 KB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

It still is a bit of a cartoonish version of a fluyt.

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    It still is a bit of a cartoonish version of a fluyt.
    Yes well I have noted that they look more like game pieces than scale models. Looking at it another way they are representational of period paintings which were not all as precise as a van de Velde. Frankly the sails are modeled a bit better than the SoG models because they have some animation to them as you can see in the sloop model. Once I have finished one of the larger warships - 4th rate I will post that because the hull is quite nice. I don't think they are quite 1/600 scale though, closer to 1/900.

Name:  1DERFFLINGER_Fluyt_1.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  180.2 KB

This one is an Indiaman but notice the proportions of the hull are much different than 18th-19th century designs. This is reflected in the models.

Name:  Mauritius_-_Detail_uit_Het_uitzeilen_van_een_aantal_Oost-Indievaarders_van_Hendrick_Cornelisz_Vr.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  326.2 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As I mentioned earlier Eric, I like them simply because of this early painting comnnection.
    That is what the modern punter who has only seen those depictions has come to expect in these early ships.
    I somehow missed your Pirates John, but they also look the part for a swashbuckling adventure.
    All taken they make a refreshing change.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

The inspiration model of Washington on display at the National Museum of the US Navy
    Name:  1513776040678.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  196.9 KB

My version of the 11 gun oar galley Washington
    Name:  20200409_194939.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  110.0 KB
    Name:  20200409_194844.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  127.8 KB
    Name:  20200409_194743.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  111.7 KB
    Name:  20200409_194706.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  99.4 KB

History & more photos at https://volsminiatures.blogspot.com/...ngton.html?m=1

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Not only a very fine little model Vol but also an interesting biographical note on your Blog. Would you consider posting it here to augment your picture. I would have copied it onto your post but do not wish to steal your thunder.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Inspired by Captain Bligh's magnificent coastal scenery I thought I would try my hand at something similar, I read his How To and because I was using the materials I had to hand due to the lock down and general tightness on the purse strings I experienced a number of issues. Some of these I knew I would have but ignored them until they bit me and some came about through sheer incompetence. I am thinking I might do a How Not To post so that anyone else doing this might be able to avoid the problems I encountered, but still get some scenery for very little cost, for me it was zero because I already had some filler, acrylic caulk PVA glue and polystyrene packaging.

This is what they ended up looking like.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Great work John, and I especially like the stacks. Not something that I had ever considered.
    Yes please! A How not to would break new ground for us. if you do one try to keep it all to one post by saving and then editing in new sections as you go. That makes it much easier to add it to the How to thread rather than having to go through a lot of inserted comments and clean them out.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Not only a very fine little model Vol but also an interesting biographical note on your Blog. Would you consider posting it here to augment your picture. I would have copied it onto your post but do not wish to steal your thunder.
    Rob.

The lateen rigged row galley was built by soldiers on Lake Champlain at Skenesboro, New York in the autumn of 1776. On October 6 Washington joined the small fleet put together and commanded by Brigadier General Benedict Arnold. Washington was commanded by Arnold's second in command, Brigadier General David Waterbury. She was anchored with the other small vessels in the lee of Valcour Island to await the expected British move.

Captain Thomas Pringle, of the Royal Navy, led a 25 ship fleet past Valcour Island on October 11. Pringle sighted the American fleet when he passed the island and attacked from leeward. In the ensuing action Washington suffered the most damage of any vessel in Arnold's fleet.

Arnold regrouped his shattered fleet and slipped past the British on October 12 with muffled oars in a desperate attempt at escape. However the British caught up the following day at Split Rock near Crown Point.

Arnold managed to beech and destroy four of the galleys and his own flagship, Congress, while most of the remaining ships escaped upriver. Only Washington, at the rear of the van, was captured by the enemy. According to Arnold, she struck her colors after receiving a couple of broadsides.

Washington was eventually taken into Royal service, retaining her name. She was re-rigged as a brig. Her fate is unknown.

Length 72' 4"; Breadth 19' 7"; draft of 6' 2"; displacement 123 long tons; Crew 80
    Armament: 2 x 18 pounder long guns, 2 x 12 pounder long guns, 2 x 9 pounders, 4 x 4 pounders, 1 x 2 pounder, 8 x swivel guns

Information is from https://www.revwartalk.com/uss-washi...rigged-galley/

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thank you sir. A true Officer and a gentleman.

Bligh.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    James

John,

Can I ask what How To you were using and where it could be found?

Much appreciated,
    James

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Hi James this should link you to the one I used.

https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...on-in-sequence

If you are thiinking of doing something like this and you don't have the costal terrain pack I would strongly suggest you look at some pictures of it. I had roughed out some designs of my own but when I looked at how they had done the pack I realised how versatile they had made the design. If you can't find anything I have some pictures I could post, but I think the good ones actually came from the Aries site itself.

You will probably see what I mean when you look at Captain Blighs post.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    James

Thanks John for the links and the advice. I have the coastal battery, but not the coastal terrain set. I'll be getting a copy!

Rob, super informative article. I'll see what supplies I can scrounge up, now that my gaming area is coming online at the new place.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

One thing I did not mention in that "How to" Jim was that I made a little template out of a plastic offcut to conform to the ends of the section of the first piece of the coast. Then ensured that each end or joining piece had the same contour. Thus you can transpose every piece in any order you wish to and still get a matching flow to your landscape.

Rob.

I never get tired of looking at that "How To" post Rob! That template is a pretty important piece of information

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It does give you multi options for your layout. The only one I could not fit to the system was my Harbour, which would have looked odd if it had just thinned down to the width of the Ares coastal boardc so I made an interim piece of scenery to join them in just for that one item.

Rob.

I have completed an order for Oak & Iron game. I share you some photos but I hope to take better photos tomorrow with better light.
    Masts, sails are scratchbuilt. Ratlines are from a poland seller and flags are from Minairons miniatures.

Name:  20200415_182716.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  136.4 KB

Name:  20200415_182929.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  147.3 KB

Name:  20200415_183222.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  147.3 KB

Name:  20200415_183753.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  133.9 KB

Name:  20200415_183916.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  150.8 KB

Very nice Julian! What scale are these? The masts look good. What did you use for them? And the round fighting tops look really good too. What did you use to make them? And what do you use for sail material, they look great! The paint schemes are excellent as always with your work.

Job matters aside, I've started painting my empire war wagon from old Warhammer. First, I have painted the crew, now I have to finish the horses and the wagon.

Name:  20200414_140457 - copia.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  136.8 KB

Hahah, not very Nautical, but I love them!

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Very nice Julian! What scale are these? The masts look good. What did you use for them? And the round fighting tops look really good too. What did you use to make them? And what do you use for sail material, they look great! The paint schemes are excellent as always with your work.
    Thank you Vol!

For masts I use different rods of steel and brass, for the top of the masts I use sewing pin.
    For sails I use a seet of thin brass.

By the way, the scale is 1/600 and the fighting tops are 3D resing, I did a silicone mould and after I did copies in resin.

Hahah, not very Nautical, but I love them!
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    Thank you Vol!

For masts I use different rods of steel and brass, for the top of the masts I use sewing pin.
    For sails I use a seet of thin brass.
    You were able to shape the brass perfectly my friend!

You were able to shape the brass perfectly my friend!
    Scissors to cut metal, cutter and a roller to smooth wrinkles

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have completed an order for Oak & Iron game. I share you some photos but I hope to take better photos tomorrow with better light.
    Masts, sails are scratchbuilt. Ratlines are from a poland seller and flags are from Minairons miniatures.

They certainly look like I would expect an early period ship Julián.
    Superb work as usual my friend.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Due to the virus situation my workbench won't have this in place until the end of the month. Perhaps not until May, but it will a fun change of pace from the more serious modeling pastime. The ship converts to an island base or visa versa.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

They certainly look like I would expect an early period ship Julián.
    Superb work as usual my friend.
    Rob.
    Yes, you are right. There are a guy who is doing 3D models to print

Name:  93871713_10158405200546095_6464204571102150656_o.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  140.1 KB

Anglo-dutch wars. I think this models are so pretty and when I have some time I would like to do a fleet of this ships.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Yes, you are right. There are a guy who is doing 3D models to print

Name:  93871713_10158405200546095_6464204571102150656_o.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  140.1 KB

Anglo-dutch wars. I think this models are so pretty and when I have some time I would like to do a fleet of this ships.
    Wow! Do you have more information on these? What scale, and availability in the US?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Wow! Do you have more information on these? What scale, and availability in the US?
    I was just going to post these photos from Facebook. Right now the files are being sold off Wargaming3D. Henry Turner (the creator) hopes to start selling on his own at some point, but that's in the future. Here's his statement on Facebook,

I'd wanted to buy some resin printers before the end of April and get set up selling models online through my own store, but the Corona epidemic's got me stuck out in Russia so any plans like that are on hold :(
    For the timebeing I just sell the digital files on Wargaming3D for anyone who wants to print them themselves. But the technical issues the site's currently experiencing means only one of the six 17th century ships is actually on sale there atm.
    The Wargaming 3D website is here: https://www.wargaming3d.com/
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I would love to do a Dutch Fleet but just dare not get into yet another scale with all its necessary ancillary accoutrements and appendages.

Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I would love to do a Dutch Fleet but just dare not get into yet another scale with all its necessary ancillary accoutrements and appendages.

Rob.
    Not to tempt you, but to show how excellent the detail can be now with high end 3D printers. Here are some additional photos that were posted.
    –English Proverb

And I knew Henry back when he was asking me for advice about scratchbuilding ships! Look at him now!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very impressive on both counts gentlemen. Did he ever reimburse you for your expertise Vol?

Rob.

Nice projects and results, gentlemen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Yes of course. I add the link where you can buy the files: https://www.wargaming3d.com/vendor/h...BObys9eIp7aXxM

Before buying make sure you have someone who can print the files to you on a resin 3D printer.

I add a photo I took weeks ago where you can see the quality of a resin printer.
    Name:  20200313_143402.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  135.4 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Julián very instructive and useful as usual.
    Can anyone with expertise in this form of printing tell me if these models could be readily reduced to 1000 scale, and if so would the definition still be good?
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-17-2020 at 05:01.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just this instant arrived at Chez Bligh and will prove most useful for future constructs, especially in conjunction with some of Julián's superb forts. Now a whole fortified town and fort in the Verban style can be reproduced in any size.

Rob.

Thanks Julián very instructive and useful as usual.
    Can anyone with expertise in this form of printing tell me if these models could be readily reduced to 1000 scale, and if so would the definition still be good?
    Rob.
    As I understand it, it could, but you risk losing many details such as the guns on the sides. Certain details would have to be resized in order to be printed in 1/1000 scale.

Just this instant arrived at Chez Bligh and will prove most useful for future constructs, especially in conjunction with some of Julián's superb forts. Now a whole fortified town and fort in the Verban style can be reproduced in any size.

Rob.
    Looks good. Are they textured or are they smooth?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

What I'd describe as a very light pebble dash effect. Very good for simulating the rough sandstone or Terracotta that I like to use.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Not doing big things
    Some trees for the coast areas
    Name:  7B33D8AA-F4B9-4C8B-BB0A-77FA8B7CAD69.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  241.8 KB

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Today a little cannon . May be a hugest cannon for 1/1000 , or big one for 1/700

Name:  AD271C50-17C9-42EF-9CC3-8E5E9C2CD80F.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  191.3 KB

Name:  E7EF87C9-703A-4E94-82D9-CD0D264B76EE.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  201.3 KB
    Last edited by Ferrante; 04-20-2020 at 14:35.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I well remember turning down several of those for my 25mm AWI troops when we did the battle of Long Island and we needed some siege guns. i will see if I can find them.
    Your guns look very well made Ferrante.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just found this one!
    I will keep looking but am not sure if I still have the others.

Rob.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Nice cannon Rob. And it looks aged I like the effect . I really like that kind of cannons . But I haven’t seen some similar for 1/1000 made from brass .
    Today I received my new fortress kit
    Name:  577957C3-0598-4553-A636-0B9792F60CF4.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  243.5 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Glad you like my cannon Ferrante. It looks aged because it is. Must have been in my spares box for about 30 years.
    The discolouration is from the flux I used when silver soldering in the trunnions. After some years it goes like that if not cleaned off completely.
    However I do have a gun bluing paste which I accidentally found when used on brass sends it aged rather than the steel blue as on rifle barrels for which it is really intended.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-22-2020 at 15:16.

Just found this one!
    I will keep looking but am not sure if I still have the others.

Rob.
    Wow Rob, you turned that? Amazing! Have you made a mold? You could sell those.