Thread: USS Constitution versus HMS Sybille

Threaded View

Default USS Constitution versus HMS Sybille

This game is my 2nd game. I'm using just the basic rules plus it's my first try of Dobbs AI. After this I will have a go at the standard rules.

The inspiration for the game are the single ship actions involving the USS Constitution and British frigates during the War of 1812. The opponent I choose is the 44 gun Hebe class HMS Sybille (it says 34 on the card). It's not a fight I expected Sybille to win and she didn't but she did better than I expected. The initial wind and ship positions, just outside of long range, were based on the Avalon Hill scenario in Wooden Ships and Iron Men for the Constitution versus Guerriere. I used AI for both sides.

Name:  Start.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  90.6 KB

Turn 1 & 2: The Constititution turns to investigate the unknown frigate while the Sybille moves upwind to try to gain the weather gauge versus the larger frigate.

Name:  Turn01.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  89.4 KB

Name:  Turn02.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  96.7 KB

Turn 3: Sybille fires a partial broadside at long range to discourage her pursuer but it has little effect on 'Old Ironsides'.

Name:  Turn03.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  96.8 KB

Turn 4: Old Ironsides accepts the challenge and returns the honours.

Name:  Turn04.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  95.0 KB

Turns 5 to 9: Sybille finally gains the weather gauge. With the choice of engaging the more powerful frigate or not, Sybille's captain decides honour will not allow him to withdraw without at least a try. Sybille turns and heads towards the Constitution.

Name:  Turn05.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  80.1 KB

Name:  Turn06.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  128.1 KB

Name:  Turn07.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  136.3 KB

Name:  Turn08.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  120.3 KB

Name:  Turn09.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  132.7 KB

Turn 10: Withholding fire until within close range both frigates fire devastating broadsides from their forward batteries at each other. Surprisingly Sybille gives nearly as much as she gets.

Name:  Turn10.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  135.5 KB

Turn 11: The gunners on both ships reload while from the yardarms marines snipe at the opposing crews.

Name:  Turn11.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  149.2 KB

Turn 12: Both ships then turn away from each other as their captains re-assess the mettle of the foe. (It was a surprise to me but I went with hit.)

Name:  Turn12.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  99.7 KB

Turn 13: Both ships then turned back and fired - a full broadside for the Constitution which does little ship damage but devastates the Sybille's crew while Sybille with a partial broadside proves that 'Old Ironsides' might be a little rusty.

Name:  Turn13.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  114.7 KB

Turns 14 & 15: The ships reposition themselves onto parallel courses and exchange long range broadsides. Sybille heavily damages rusty 'Old Ironsdies' but her crew losses mount.

Name:  Turn14.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  103.4 KB

Name:  Turn15.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  105.5 KB

Turns 16 & 17: Neither captain willing to withdraw, they close for a close range broadsides. Sybille continues to ravage the hull of 'Old Ironsides' but down to almost no able crew, the captain of the Sybille strikes her colours.

Name:  Turn16.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  103.7 KB

Name:  Turn17.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  106.1 KB

The final tally on the ship boards.

Name:  End.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  146.9 KB

Assessment of the AI. There were times when I wondered what it was doing as the ships jockeyed for position at long range or just out of long range. I nearly quit the game when they both turned away from each other but I'm glad I didn't. The overall game played reasonably enough for the similar engagements of the Constitution versus His Majesty's frigates. Full credit to the Sybille for doing better than I thought she would.
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 03-17-2020 at 14:51.