Thread: Ship Mats

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Default Ship Mats

I have been looking at getting another Ares ship mat and was wondering how useful the grid lines on them are. I presume they are used to more accurately align miniatures and the wind? Does anyone use them and have any comments please?

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The grid lines can be a help with wind direction and with defining starting positions. However, many people manage to play the game successfully using other surfaces, which have no grid lines, Gary.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

When you look at the wind indicator you can usually align it to one side of the playmat edge. Yhen it is easy enough to get the pointer to the correct angle. However, the lined mats are O.K. as long as you don't intend to photograph an AAR where you want to have a realistic looking shot. it can be a real chore to erradicate all those liones on Photoshop Gary.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

I like those mats for a more accurate moving.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

I have one of the Ares mats but now use a different one without the marking it looks much nicer and I don't have any trouble aligning the wind direction indicators. Mind you I play solo so no argument's from my opponent. I guess if you already have one mat a second might make sense to achieve uniformity.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    I have one of the Ares mats but now use a different one without the marking it looks much nicer and I don't have any trouble aligning the wind direction indicators. Mind you I play solo so no argument's from my opponent. I guess if you already have one mat a second might make sense to achieve uniformity.
    I had intended to get something different than Ares mats but I needed a couple quickly for a WoG campaign scenario and got two Ares mats. So in for a penny in for a pound I now have four for SoG. I will live with it.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Thanks for your replies guys. After reading them I think I will stick with my one mat and blue felt cloth. Not much sense to me buying something that probably will not get used.

Landsman
    New Zealand

Log Entries
    Name
    Rhys

I appreciate this may not be a directly related topic, and I already have an Ares mat and quite like it (though I never really use the lines, except perhaps subconsciously), but found a new mat via the #SailsofGlory hashtag on Twitter that appears on another level for realism: http://cigarboxbattlestore.bigcartel...r-440-4x6-plus

Name:  4C375A72-46E6-4B8F-972D-B61A8E772C55.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  224.0 KB

I was so impressed I ordered it on the spot, despite the price tag. It’s probably too large for my needs at 6’ x 4’ but I definitely shouldn’t need anything larger! I’m now wondering if anyone here has a Cigar Box Battle ‘Cold Water’ (or ‘Caribbean Waters’) mat and what you think? I’m excited to receive mine and start playing. If no one has one, I’ll definitely post some shots.
    Last edited by Panzer_Leader; 04-02-2021 at 03:30.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have not seen these mats before Rhys, both my mats for Sails are non Ares types. One which is a large one for shows and one cut down to fit my games table. Please do let us see yours in action when it arrives.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I have a couple of official mats, plus a sea mat which is a vynal type table cover, plus a light cloth mat from Tinywargames.
    I quite like the Tiny mat, but must admit to wanting one of the mouse mat type sea mats from Deepcut studios when I next get to a show

https://www.tinywargames.co.uk/sea

https://www.deepcutstudio.com/produc...caribbean-sea/

Well thats my dream anyway

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have the Deepcut landscape with clouds mat Chris, and it is excellent.

Rob.

Landsman
    New Zealand

Log Entries
    Name
    Rhys

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    I have a couple of official mats, plus a sea mat which is a vynal type table cover, plus a light cloth mat from Tinywargames.
    I quite like the Tiny mat, but must admit to wanting one of the mouse mat type sea mats from Deepcut studios when I next get to a show

https://www.tinywargames.co.uk/sea

https://www.deepcutstudio.com/produc...caribbean-sea/

Well thats my dream anyway
    Thanks Capn Duff, I agree the Deepcut mats also look excellent. I also like how they include a storage and carrying bag as an option. I’ll be very interested to compare the felt surface of the Cigar Box Battle mat versus the potential of the ‘mouse-pad’ PVC of the Deepcut mat, given they’re both available in 4’x6’ sizes and feature “photo realistic” designs. While the PVC will be stiffer and more durable, the felt will be foldable to match the playing surface. I’ve now got my eye on a Caribbean mat for scenarios there or in the Indian Ocean, so will need to decide which way to go when the time comes! Thanks for the pointer, I wasn’t aware of Deepcut mats until your post.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You are right Rhys, as my table was designed to fit two Ares mats, I had to trim a bit off the edges of my Deepcut mat to accommodate it.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

You are welcome Rhys.
    The mouse mat type are essentially the same as the ares mats.but of course without the lines and a larger size

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer_Leader View Post
    Thanks Capn Duff, I agree the Deepcut mats also look excellent. I also like how they include a storage and carrying bag as an option. I’ll be very interested to compare the felt surface of the Cigar Box Battle mat versus the potential of the ‘mouse-pad’ PVC of the Deepcut mat, given they’re both available in 4’x6’ sizes and feature “photo realistic” designs. While the PVC will be stiffer and more durable, the felt will be foldable to match the playing surface. I’ve now got my eye on a Caribbean mat for scenarios there or in the Indian Ocean, so will need to decide which way to go when the time comes! Thanks for the pointer, I wasn’t aware of Deepcut mats until your post.
    Here is the one I have for the Caribbean. They have a lighter color mat for around the islands. Tablewar mats are cheaper for me than ordering from the UK or EU.

https://tablewar.com/collections/fat...x4caribbeansea

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    You are right Rhys, as my table was designed to fit two Ares mats, I had to trim a bit off the edges of my Deepcut mat to accommodate it.
    Rob.
    Hi Rob, I have the same problem with my 6 x 4 Deepcut mat as my table is 1.5m sq. I just let it hang over the edge, because you never know if the table may grow a little longer one day.

However I have thought if cutting it down and I'm just curious how you did yours. Scissors! Straight edge and stanley knife! Or some other way?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Right John,
    As two of my edges are against the wall I cant let the excess hang or it will slide the rest off the table.
    I cut the mat with a straight edge and my carpet knife, but a Stanley will do just as well if it is really sharp.

Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Thanks Rob, I've never tried to cut mouse mat material and wondered if the knife method would sort of snag and stretch the material as you cut. I take your point about the sharp blade.

I thought about slicing the foot of spare mat into 9" slices to add to the depth of the mat making it 5' x 4'9".
    Cheers and thanks for the info.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I kept my offcutts for Captain Kiwi, because he does small dioramas, and it makes a good ground cover for the plinths when he has a dogfight going on above.

Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Alex

I have a generic blue gaming mat for my smaller table, that works well if you have limited space.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07DPK2G...3B0ANRMMT0YR37

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks a handy bit of kit for the smaller table Alex. Also a very reasonable price for a good quality mat.
    Rob.

Landsman
    New Zealand

Log Entries
    Name
    Rhys

Hi Folks

My Cigar Box Battle 'Cold Water' map (http://cigarboxbattlestore.bigcartel...r-440-4x6-plus) arrived yesterday. Here are a couple of initial pictures:

Mahonesa at distance
    Name:  IMG_3040.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  208.7 KB

Mahonesa up close
    Name:  IMG_3039.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  151.8 KB

At 6' x 4' it is a vast playing surface which will suit running battles well (less risk of "dogfighting" and/or sailing off the map as there is with the Ares original). The realistic ocean effect of the printed surface is very appealing.

A couple of downsides I've noticed: i) it came folded and creased so will need to be ironed to flatten it; ii) as it's 100% polyester ironing is not recommended so I will need to experiment with low temperature settings to ensure I don't melt it(!); iii) it doesn't come with storage, so I have had to buy something to store and transport it in good condition. I've elected to order a 6' x 4' 'Gaming mat storage and carrying bag' from Deep-Cut Studio (https://www.deepcutstudio.com/produc...te_pa_size=4x6) for an additional NZD 36.50 for this purpose.

I'm excited to play some scenarios on this mat and am now looking at my options for a Caribbean (doubles as Indian Ocean) mat to cover all eventualities.
    Last edited by Panzer_Leader; 05-17-2021 at 20:06.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My Deepcut mat came in one od those cases Rhys. They are very good.

Your cold water mat looks just like the North sea in winter. I think it would even do for the Baltic.
    What do you think Jonas?

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer_Leader View Post
    Hi Folks

My Cigar Box Battle 'Cold Water' map (http://cigarboxbattlestore.bigcartel...r-440-4x6-plus) arrived yesterday. Here are a couple of initial pictures:

Mahonesa at distance
    Name:  IMG_3040.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  208.7 KB

Mahonesa up close
    Name:  IMG_3039.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  151.8 KB

At 6' x 4' it is a vast playing surface which will suit running battles well (less risk of "dogfighting" and/or sailing off the map as there is with the Ares original). The realistic ocean effect of the printed surface is very appealing.

A couple of downsides I've noticed: i) it came folded and creased so will need to be ironed to flatten it; ii) as it's 100% polyester ironing is not recommended so I will need to experiment with low temperature settings to ensure I don't melt it(!); iii) it doesn't come with storage, so I have had to buy something to store and transport it in good condition. I've elected to order a 6' x 4' 'Gaming mat storage and carrying bag' from Deep-Cut Studio (https://www.deepcutstudio.com/produc...te_pa_size=4x6) for an additional NZD 36.50 for this purpose.

I'm excited to play some scenarios on this mat and am now looking at my options for a Caribbean (doubles as Indian Ocean) mat to cover all eventualities.
    I store my ocean rolled up in a cardboard shipping tube. Rolling it may even take care of the wrinkles without ironing.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My big mat for shows is in a cardboard tube and if you roll it with the playing side in it helps the edges to bend down and grip the table instead of curling up Rhys.

Rob.

Landsman
    New Zealand

Log Entries
    Name
    Rhys

Great tips, thanks both! I’ll wait to see how my Deep-Cut case goes but agree a cardboard tube is probably just as, if not more, effective and more economical! If the case proves lacking, I’ve already had a quick look at local tube options today. I’m going to experiment with ironing the mat this weekend as I would at least like to prove to myself that I can flatten it out as needed. If I can get everything to my satisfaction I’ll go ahead and order a Caribbean mat too.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

For ironing use a low temp on th iron, pot a slightly damp cloth one the back of the mat and iron from that side giving a slight stretch at right angles to the way the fold is running. Try a bit near the edge to make sure it is OK before attempting the whole mat.

Rob.