Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Default Wind Table Variations

Wind Table - Ocean.pdf

Wind Table - Coastal.pdf

Wind Table - Shifting.pdf

THESE TABLES HAVE ERRORS. THE CORRECTED ONES ARE AT POST #9.

Here are some wind tables I developed. I use a plus and minus chit from the original game wind chits as well as one clockwise and one counter-clockwise chit. I roll at the start of each turn before cards are chosen.

I felt there needed to be three different "styles" of wind, for the open ocean, near coastal, and bays or headlands where the wind is always shifting.

My idea is to make the wind able to wander, but always trend toward the speed and direction that it was at the start of the game.

For wind speed, if an increase or decrease is rolled, the appropriate marker is placed on the Wind Gauge. On subsequent turns, if the same effect is rolled, the speed changes and the marker is removed. If the opposite is rolled, nothing happens and the marker is removed from the Wind Gauge. If No Effect is rolled and a chit is out, the chit stays. If the wind speed increases from the speed at the start of the engagement, a modifier of -1 is added to the die roll each turn. If the wind speed decreases from the speed at the start of the engagement, a modifier of +1 is added to the die roll each turn.

For wind direction, if a wind shift is rolled, the appropriate marker is placed on the Wind Gauge. On subsequent turns, if the same effect is rolled, the direction changes and the marker is removed. If the opposite is rolled, nothing happens and the marker is removed from the Wind Gauge. If No Effect is rolled and a chit is out, the chit stays. If the wind direction shifts counter-clockwise from the direction at the start of the engagement, a modifier of +1 is added to the die roll each turn. If the wind direction shifts clockwise from the direction at the start of the engagement, a modifier of -1 is added to the die roll each turn.

I allowed for a greater range for the wind, but the tables work with just the regular three wind settings in the middle. I print the sheets out, cover the print with some self-laminate, and spray some adhesive on the back to attach them to a bit of cardboard or craft foam.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 02-24-2020 at 17:08.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

That is very creative, Dobbs. I do not think that I have played any games using variable wind speed.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A very interesting set of tables Dobbs.
    As an aficionado of changes in the wind myself, I will be taking those onboard in my next forray.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Interesting, and I like that the original direction/strength get a weight in the following changes.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yes it really brings what was just a bit more chit shuffling to life, and as the wind status was so important in so many battles it is an influential amendment to make in the game. I use wind direction in the general way but have only added the strength in the last year, so this will refine that aspect of my game even more so.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

I've played so few games I can't comment on this but my last game was the Feb 2015 Solo Campaign scenario, one of Neil's I believe and I had a 74gun v a 100gun ship, because I had the weather gauge as well as a couple of other things in my favour I pasted the bigger ship. So I expect these rules will add a whole new level to the games.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Yes, I remembering playing that. First try I had the first rate just turn straight onto land and get stuck. I had to move it out of the mouth of the river and manually override doing anything that would get it stuck until it was out of the immediate danger from the lee shore. And looking at the pictures I'm very sad I hadn't built the terrain for the coastline yet. It does make a huge difference to me.

Anyhow, did you put up an AAR?

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Gents, I just realized that there are a number of proofreading errors on my tables, so I will correct and repost them soon.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Dobbs.
    I will download as soon as my upgrades are finally reinstalled.
    Meanwhile here is a bit of Rep for all the work.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Yes, I remembering playing that. First try I had the first rate just turn straight onto land and get stuck. I had to move it out of the mouth of the river and manually override doing anything that would get it stuck until it was out of the immediate danger from the lee shore. And looking at the pictures I'm very sad I hadn't built the terrain for the coastline yet. It does make a huge difference to me.

Anyhow, did you put up an AAR?
    Jonas I am away for 2 months but I've brought my notes and pictures and so hope to post this game before I get back home. I think I had a very similar experience to you. I'm just pleased I won the previous game and had the wind in my favour because it was a nightmare trying to beat out of the very narrow gap between the mainland and the island for my enemy and it would have been a much more difficult game if the wind had been against me.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Saved them now Dobbs. I am learning my way around my new setup.
    Seems to be working OK, but has not solved my attatchment problem.
    Rob.