Thread: Played my first SoG game

Default Played my first SoG game

Just used the basic rules and the ships in the starter set with AI controlling all ships. The usual problems of forgetting things like whether or not a broadside is loaded, etc., but will read the rules again to ensure I’ve not missed something.

The only question was about the AI charts. It took me a bit to figure out what card to select based on the AI chart but it would have helped if I had looked at all the cards in a manoeuvre deck before diving into a game. (What? Read instructions before assembly? That’s not the guy way of doing things. :lol:)

I didn’t have time to completely finish but the two British ships were heavily damaged. HMS Defence was one and a partial box from striking. However Courageuse had got in between the two RN ships was was in difficulty while the Aquilon was too far out of position (thanks AI) to prevent the RN ships escaping. Had to end before they escaped and before the fate of the Courageuse was known.

All in all a good game with well thought mechanisms and game components. The AI charts seem to work reasonably well. The results are not surprising since both the French and British ships had equivalent crew expertise / skill in a basic game. Have t read further in the rules so I can’t say how superior skill is factored in.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks as if you have made a sound start Paul. We all found it a bit interesting getting our head around even the basic rules to start with. I will have a look for our early deliberations and pop the page in here in a few minutes time.

You can find four pages of useful info here Paul.

https://sailsofglory.org/forumdispla...les-Help/page4

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Thanks for the link, Rob. Some very well done videos you linked in post as well.

I think I can get my head around most of the game so far. It may or may not have helped that I’ve played Avalon Hill’s Wooden Ships and Iron Men and the Talonsoft video game Age of Sail. And probably even more of a handicap was sailing a Laser-type dinghy and learning the joys of a lee shore and, on another occasion, of running with with a very strong wind while sailing a cat-rigged boat.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My pleasure Paul.
    Keep asking the questions. Lots of knowledgeable chaps on here.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Hi Paul, were you using my AI mechanism? If so and you have any questions, let me know. Also your feedback is important to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Hi Paul, were you using my AI mechanism? If so and you have any questions, let me know. Also your feedback is important to me.
    Hi Dobbs,

If it's this one:

https://sailsofglory.org/downloads.php?do=file&id=84

...then, yes, I am using your AI. I just played the AI moves without any adjustments by me. They played well but I probably should have intervened so that the one frigate didn't go after the SOL. I just let it do that for fun. :)

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Hi Paul, that one's not mine. With mine, I wanted to give the AI ship awareness of which tack and point of sail it was on.

Here's a link to mine (post #5):

https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...0701#post90701

As to frigates chasing SoL's, that will probably happen with mine too. But correcting that is something for me to consider!

Hi Paul, that one's not mine. With mine, I wanted to give the AI ship awareness of which tack and point of sail it was on.

Here's a link to mine (post #5):

https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...0701#post90701

As to frigates chasing SoL's, that will probably happen with mine too. But correcting that is something for me to consider!
    Thanks. The charts look good. I think I understand them and I'm looking forward to giving them a try. The only set back is lower back and hip pain from a bad fall on the ice.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Here's hoping that you hurry up and mend! ...and that the ice departs in short order. When you get to play, if you have any questions or insights, let me know.

Is that your boat in your picture? What is she and where do you do your boating?

Here's hoping that you hurry up and mend! ...and that the ice departs in short order. When you get to play, if you have any questions or insights, let me know.

Is that your boat in your picture? What is she and where do you do your boating?
    The boat is my brother's or more correctly it belongs to his children. It's just that the boat lives moored to his dock. They bought just over a year ago. We discussed the details back then but I can't recall the specifics. Here's a few pictures my brother took when they were considering buying it.

Name:  P3234921.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  171.4 KB Name:  sale1.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  271.8 KB Name:  Pic1127.JPG
Views: 268
Size:  38.8 KB Name:  Pic1130.JPG
Views: 281
Size:  44.4 KB

My brother and his wife run a small inn on an island (Sevilla Island) just off Lund, B.C. The island is literally a stone's throw from the mainland but they still have to get on and off the island via one of their motor boats. Their boating is around the north end of the Strait of Georgia. So, other than kayaking in the Rideau River and nearby lakes, my boating is when I'm out there visiting. I used to do have fun with a Laser-type sailboat on lakes in Northern Saskatchewan but I had to sell that boat (to my brother, of course - he still has it) when I moved for work and it wasn't practical to keep it at that time.
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 03-01-2020 at 20:30.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

My family used to spend a few weeks each summer on the Rideau Canal, down toward Kingston. It's a beautiful area. I'm so glad they preserved the system.

Relating to SoG, I understand that the only 1st rate ever used in fresh water is still a popular dive spot on Lake Ontario!

My family used to spend a few weeks each summer on the Rideau Canal, down toward Kingston. It's a beautiful area. I'm so glad they preserved the system.

Relating to SoG, I understand that the only 1st rate ever used in fresh water is still a popular dive spot on Lake Ontario!
    You are right....the HMS St Lawrence which is a designated National Historic site along with the wrecks of the HMS Princess Charlotte and HMS Prince Regent.

There’s also the wreck of the HMS Ontario, the oldest wreck found on the Great Lakes. She was only a brig but the largest warship on the lakes at the time - 1780.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    You are right....the HMS St Lawrence which is a designated National Historic site along with the wrecks of the HMS Princess Charlotte and HMS Prince Regent.

There’s also the wreck of the HMS Ontario, the oldest wreck found on the Great Lakes. She was only a brig but the largest warship on the lakes at the time - 1780.
    FYI - HMS Ontario is sailing again in pixel form in the pc game Naval Action. She is depicted as a snow rig and generically called the Snow by players.

Able Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

That is one nice boat, beautiful infact
    Never knowingly undergunned

Hi Dobbs,

Finally chatted with my brother. The sailboat is a 41' Formosa Ketch, Bill Garden design, built in Taiwan.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rafer J Larwood View Post
    That is one nice boat, beautiful infact
    It certainly is Chris.
    I would love a boat like her. Sadly my Bank Manager would not love me if I bought one.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Hi Dobbs,

Finally chatted with my brother. The sailboat is a 41' Formosa Ketch, Bill Garden design, built in Taiwan.
    Thanks, Paul. I have a fondness for ketches. My first long ocean voyage was on one. I have a lot of memories from that trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    It certainly is Chris.
    I would love a boat like her. Sadly my Bank Manager would not love me if I bought one.
    Rob.
    I can't remember the price but I do remember being surprised that it was as cheap as it was. Mind you it did need some work. I'll ask my brother.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I will be very interested to discover the price of that smart craft Paul.
    Rob.