Just used the basic rules and the ships in the starter set with AI controlling all ships. The usual problems of forgetting things like whether or not a broadside is loaded, etc., but will read the rules again to ensure I’ve not missed something.

The only question was about the AI charts. It took me a bit to figure out what card to select based on the AI chart but it would have helped if I had looked at all the cards in a manoeuvre deck before diving into a game. (What? Read instructions before assembly? That’s not the guy way of doing things. :lol:)

I didn’t have time to completely finish but the two British ships were heavily damaged. HMS Defence was one and a partial box from striking. However Courageuse had got in between the two RN ships was was in difficulty while the Aquilon was too far out of position (thanks AI) to prevent the RN ships escaping. Had to end before they escaped and before the fate of the Courageuse was known.

All in all a good game with well thought mechanisms and game components. The AI charts seem to work reasonably well. The results are not surprising since both the French and British ships had equivalent crew expertise / skill in a basic game. Have t read further in the rules so I can’t say how superior skill is factored in.