Thread: New games or versions?

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Default New games or versions?

The Drome is home to Battlestar Galactica, Tripods and Triplanes, King Kong, Wings of Glory WWII and the standard Wings of Glory WWI not to mention post WWII jets etc. I was wondering why there are no game variants here. There could be Vikings or Spanish Armada expansions. Maybe a retail opportunity gone begging?

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Ares Games' interests have been in other directions lately or so it seems, Gary. I believe that some work has been done towards a Pirates expansion but there has not been any official announcement in a long time. At least the re-issue of the Starter Sets is an indication that Sails of Glory has not been totally forgotten.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If you look through the other posts you will see discussions on some of the other products available by other companies who cater for this type of action Gary.

Thus far the approaches to Ares about expanding the range have fallen on stony ground. Dave Manley and DB who have worked with Ares and are our contact points have tried to explain where the developments should take place to maximize sales but to little avail.
    So many of we few who play the game have various ideas about what we want. Examples are Pirates, Small ships for the American Lakes, Russians, Swedish, Turks and Levantine, or small merchantmen. Whilst I would like to see the Dutch fleet in action.
    With a niche within a niche market, our own preferences are not going to promote sufficient sales to pay for the moulds let alone the design work for these fringe items I am afraid. Even getting the Santisima Trinidad off the stocks is proving to be an uphill struggle.
    I hope that this puts you more in the picture Gary.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

The main thing for us is to identify key ships to finish out Trafalgar, and what all we can bootstrap off those sculpts. From there, repeat with Nile, and then pick a few other key battles to focus on similarly--the Indian Ocean Campaign is a logical choice as the closest historical event matching normal "game campaign" structure.

Right now the bus is being driven by BSG and Boardgames, then IIRC WGF gets its turn with what minuscule resources are left and WGS gets the sloppy seconds from that, then we get whatever if anything is left after WGS is done at the feeding trough. Look at how long WGS guys have been waiting for new PTO planes like Hellcats and Corsairs...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Don't want to resurrect old threads so perhaps this is a better spot to drop a note that Oak and Iron is now up for pre order on a number of online gaming sites? The ships are projected to hit landfall on February 7th.

If interested the old thread is here: https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....Game#post82637

Firelock Games website with more information is here: https://www.firelockgames.com/oak-iron/

If this is not an appropriate place for the post feel free to move or delete. Cheers.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Fine with me Jim. Thanks for the heads up.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Don't want to resurrect old threads so perhaps this is a better spot to drop a note that Oak and Iron is now up for pre order on a number of online gaming sites? The ships are projected to hit landfall on February 7th.

If interested the old thread is here: https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....Game#post82637

Firelock Games website with more information is here: https://www.firelockgames.com/oak-iron/

If this is not an appropriate place for the post feel free to move or delete. Cheers.
    Eagerly awaiting the arrival of my KS box. I think the ships would be perfect for anyone wanted to try a 17th century or Pirate SoG mod.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Is this going to kill off any Sails of Glory pirate expansion?

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    IMHO I doubt it. Look at Wings of Glory Second World War (WGS) and Blood Red Skies. Another lot of Battle of Britain WGS planes are near to release despite Blood Red Skies. The gameplay is different there too as is SoG and Oak & Iron.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    I rather doubt Ares will ever expand into Pirates if they haven't done it by now. Besides as has been pointed out Oak and Iron will have that covered and Warlord Games is hinting that a pirate expansion might be coming to Black Seas?
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I'm inclined to agree Jim. Even if they did it is years away. Any thoughts DB.

Rob.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I haven't really heard anything... it's gonna be a while before we see anything, and I really hope Ares DOESN'T do a BSG-style license for Disney POTC because we'd be toast if they did--Wizkids Pirates didn't last long after they fell under the Curse of the Black Pearl, IIRC.

I mean, as a business move it'd be great for capital infusion, but then the Mouse would demand to drive the bus, and they don't like anything competing with their own IP's--as a parallel illustration this is why LEGO Classic Space and Classic Pirates are dead, elbowed aside by Star Wars and POTC.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for your perspective on this one DB.
    I agree with your hypothesis on the likely outcome from a merger with Rodentville.
    We would be well and truly helically threaded if that happened.

Rob.

Able Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Another threat on the horizon is the Black Seas game from Warlord Games, they have a lot of stuff available already and it looks pretty good. Becoming a more crowded market place for sure
    Never knowingly undergunned