Thread: The fleet continues to increase.

Default The fleet continues to increase.

Hello mates, I leave some photos of my latest works for my Spanish fleet for the game Black Seas.
    The boats that I have made for now are:
    A frigate
    A brig.
    An Xebec.
    A 3th rate of 74 guns. San Justo

All ships with the exception of Xebec are from Warlord Games. The Xebec is a brand called Hagen miniatures and makes smaller ships quite similar to those of Warlord Games but in metal.

Sails and masts are made by me.
    The ratlines are made of nickle silver from a Polish company named Mikrostocznia.

I hope you like them.

Name:  20191207_155742.jpg
Views: 2188
Size:  167.4 KB

Name:  20191206_160901.jpg
Views: 1617
Size:  134.3 KB

Name:  20191206_161052.jpg
Views: 1436
Size:  130.3 KB

Name:  20191206_161646.jpg
Views: 1467
Size:  159.8 KB

Name:  20191207_141001.jpg
Views: 1508
Size:  113.6 KB

Name:  20191207_141044.jpg
Views: 1524
Size:  124.4 KB

Name:  20191207_141144.jpg
Views: 1683
Size:  115.9 KB

Name:  20191207_141252.jpg
Views: 1562
Size:  105.5 KB

Name:  20191207_141605.jpg
Views: 1424
Size:  154.5 KB

Name:  20191207_141629.jpg
Views: 1593
Size:  150.3 KB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

They are beautiful. The larger scale makes your artistry show through even more.
    It's a real pity they don't have bulging sails.

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    They are beautiful. The larger scale makes your artistry show through even more.
    It's a real pity they don't have bulging sails.
    These sails and masts are scratchbuilt using brass sheet and steel and brass rods, I don't use Warlord sails because they are paper.

Name:  20191118_154629.jpg
Views: 1588
Size:  115.8 KB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Yes, but sadly yours aren’t double curved. The Sails of Glory ships have sails that are curved like on a sphere and not like a cylinder. Real sails billow in a way that usually needs to be cast, not formed by bending a flat surface.

Yes, but sadly yours aren’t double curved. The Sails of Glory ships have sails that are curved like on a sphere and not like a cylinder. Real sails billow in a way that usually needs to be cast, not formed by bending a flat surface.
    The effect that you mention is done, can be done perfectly in brass sails, in fact I have been doing it in 1/1200 ships for a long time and I continue doing at these sails.

Name:  20191119_151947.jpg
Views: 1539
Size:  128.1 KB

To achieve this effect, first double in the predominant direction of the sail, then with a thinner cylinder (fine brush) obliquely bend the bottom tips of the sail. That way you get the effect that you are saying and believe me it is done on my ships.
    Last edited by Redcoat; 12-07-2019 at 12:38.

Nice miniatures.

Impressive work.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yes we always get our moneys worth from Julián.
    Another superb offering from the Master.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    Nice miniatures.

Impressive work.
    Thank you Sven

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Yes we always get our moneys worth from Julián.
    Another superb offering from the Master.
    Rob.
    Thank you Rob, in january I will start a large fleet of 14 ships for the British, I dont know how but I have to do it

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    The effect that you mention is done, can be done perfectly in brass sails, in fact I have been doing it in 1/1200 ships for a long time and I continue doing at these sails.

To achieve this effect, first double in the predominant direction of the sail, then with a thinner cylinder (fine brush) obliquely bend the bottom tips of the sail. That way you get the effect that you are saying and believe me it is done on my ships.
    It is not the effect I tried to describe. Your sails don't have the the surface of a sphere. That effect cannot be done in brass sails, unless you go to a smith to make the shape into a sphere.
    They have the surface of several cylinders not of a sphere. Fabric doesn't work that way. There's not much you can do about it unless you get cast sails.

It is not the effect I tried to describe. Your sails don't have the the surface of a sphere. That effect cannot be done in brass sails, unless you go to a smith to make the shape into a sphere.
    They have the surface of several cylinders not of a sphere. Fabric doesn't work that way. There's not much you can do about it unless you get cast sails.
    Now I understand you, you mean the effect of the sail and the ropes. As the sail is swollen between the ropes. Indeed, this is impossible to represent in this type of material, how you say, it is only possible in a molten material like Lagton minitures sails of white metal.

I have to try to do something that is affordable in time and resources to make this project viable, much to my regret I have to sacrifice small details like the one you have described

I guess that effect is the same as we see in a hot air balloon.

Name:  6395_Hot_Air_Balloon_Flight_Over_Catalonia_9e31805a2a6c31f142db7bfa956cbd8c_original.jpg
Views: 3356
Size:  88.0 KB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Exactly!

Yes. There is no solution as long as the manufacturers don't make them or there's a good material for 3D printers or something.

Exactly!

Yes. There is no solution as long as the manufacturers don't make them or there's a good material for 3D printers or something.
    I have seen this effect in 3D sails for ships in 1/300 scale but the problem is that on scales so small as we use, I do not think that technology today is prepared for good results.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Julian yet again you do some remarkably fine work, these are very impressive.

Regarding Jonas comments on the shape of the sails, I wonder if you used a spherical shape and bent or hammered the brass sails around that, then maybe you could get the compound curves desired. You might need to recut the brass after the bending process and it would be a lot of work. I once took a flat piece of stainless steel and hammered it to get the compound shape of the bow of a modern sailing boat and it worked reasonably well, but my finish was quite crude.
    Just a thought.

By the way the ratlines look superb.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post

Regarding Jonas comments on the shape of the sails, I wonder if you used a spherical shape and bent or hammered the brass sails around that, then maybe you could get the compound curves desired. You might need to recut the brass after the bending process and it would be a lot of work. I once took a flat piece of stainless steel and hammered it to get the compound shape of the bow of a modern sailing boat and it worked reasonably well, but my finish was quite crude.
    Just a thought.

I appreciate the advice but what you say would be unfeasible to do a full fleet. Each ship has 9 sails.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    I appreciate the advice but what you say would be unfeasible to do a full fleet. Each ship has 9 sails.
    It was just a thought They look pretty stunning as they are.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I think that one of the few ways it might be feasible would be vacuum forming. It would still be a lot of work, but if you've done it once you could get may sails of the same size out of it.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Vac forming is certainly the way to go for ease of manufacture. Once your mould was made you could multi form a whole ships sails or even two out of one sheet. Cutting the curves would be easy after the moulding was complete. I have a special pair of tin-snips that can do curves. It is far easier to make a male mould too than a female one.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

That technology escapes my understanding, I have to stick to the tools I have.

I share some photos another boat that I made this weekend. Is a Falucho (Llaut). Corsair ship in the service of the Spanish crown.

Name:  20191211_143934.jpg
Views: 1298
Size:  131.2 KB

Name:  20191211_143533.jpg
Views: 1180
Size:  128.7 KB

Name:  20191211_143630.jpg
Views: 1289
Size:  135.0 KB

Name:  20191211_143715.jpg
Views: 1264
Size:  134.4 KB

Name:  20191211_143805.jpg
Views: 1370
Size:  118.3 KB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I have to say that your sails work remarkably well as lateens. These are exceptionally good.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now I have a pattern for a bit more action in the Med Julián.
    Thank you very much.
    Rob.

Spanish Falucho corsair stalking a British brig.

Name:  Falucho corsario  espańol.png
Views: 1229
Size:  438.0 KB

A spanish xebec trying to avoid being approached by two Algerian galleys.

Name:  DonAntonioBarcelóConSuJabequeCorreoRindeADosGaleotasArgelinas.jpg
Views: 1319
Size:  86.5 KB

Julian, I have been away for a while, but I do try to visit on the occasion. Every time I do, you have more eye candy to view. Thank you for sharing your work. It is very inspiring!

I have delved into a couple of those kits myself just for the fun of modelling. Wow! I need to study some of your techniques to help my own projects.

You stated where you got the ratlines, and I seem to remember these being mentioned earlier too. Is there a site in English that shows these products? ( I am deficient in Polish, I am afraid.)

Keep the pix coming, they are awesome!

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt Kangaroo View Post
    Julian, I have been away for a while, but I do try to visit on the occasion. Every time I do, you have more eye candy to view. Thank you for sharing your work. It is very inspiring!

I have delved into a couple of those kits myself just for the fun of modelling. Wow! I need to study some of your techniques to help my own projects.

You stated where you got the ratlines, and I seem to remember these being mentioned earlier too. Is there a site in English that shows these products? ( I am deficient in Polish, I am afraid.)

Keep the pix coming, they are awesome!

Thanks again!
    Hello Erin,

I glad you enjoy my works.

I add two option for buy.

Ratlines made of brass. Brand Meridian. https://navymodelsandbooks.co.uk/pro...mponents-list/

Brass ratlines are good but has some troubles when I have use them. The first is that to get fine and well scaled ratlines you have to sacrifice in security. Security of not bending them in the placement process. Therefore I recommend this option if you are good worker for these jobs with brass. Otherwise you would have to use very thick brass ratlines that I personally don't like. There are people who don't care about this. If you buy these ratlines you will have to write an email to Meridian to let them know if you want thin or thick ratlines.
    Another problem I have had with this brand is that its ratlines are a bit short and do not reach the point where they should arrive. It is not that it is an excessively bad problem but I am too perfectionist and for the price that these things cost I demand that they fulfill their mission.

Ratlines made of nickel silver. Brand Mikrostocznia. Nickel silver is a brass alloy with nickel and other metals that improve the mechanical properties of the metal. In this way you can make very fine ratlines but with a high hardness. I have personally opted for this option since I am looking for a product that does not take me long time to add at the model and that guarantees durability.
    The way to buy this product is to go directly to the Polish seller on Facebook. He speaks English perfectly, tries to avoid complex phrases to make communication with him easier. I am speaking with him in English and I had no problems.

Their prices are:

Ratlines for 1st and 3th rate. 7.5 euros
    Ratlines for frigates. 5.5 euros.
    Ratlines for brigs. 7.5 euros (for 4 brigs each kit)

Plus shipping cost.

I hope it helps.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

With those paintings, even more to go on.
    Thanks.

Also good to hear from you again Erin.
    Rob.

Ah Jonas, but you can. Use a marble to shape the sail. Vary the marble size for the sail size. Small ball bearings work for the smaller sails. Brass or paper, makes no difference. Once the shape has set it is a simple matter to straighten the spar edge to glue to the spar. Cast sails look too thick, cloth would not be that thick at this scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post

Just a thought.

Thin brass sheeting is pliable enough to shape with just finger pressure. Here are a couple of brass sails and a couple of paper sails I just made to illustrate this. I hope the poor photos are enough
    Name:  20191217_200616.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  110.5 KB
    Name:  20191217_200453.jpg
Views: 1205
Size:  79.3 KB
    Name:  20191217_200707.jpg
Views: 1285
Size:  82.6 KB
    Name:  20191217_200630.jpg
Views: 1210
Size:  105.8 KB

Some of my shapers
    Name:  20191217_202120.jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  112.1 KB
    Last edited by Volunteer; 12-17-2019 at 21:23.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

That is interesting. It's still quite a small effect but it looks great if you make the look of the ship to be for light winds, like Trafalgar.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Foll marks for a great idea Vol. I will try that on my next build. All I need now is to locate my stash of ball bearings in the workshop.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Ah Jonas, but you can. Use a marble to shape the sail. Vary the marble size for the sail size. Small ball bearings work for the smaller sails. Brass or paper, makes no difference. Once the shape has set it is a simple matter to straighten the spar edge to glue to the spar. Cast sails look too thick, cloth would not be that thick at this scale.
    I will try your marble method with the Warlord cardstock sails.

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    I will try your marble method with the Warlord cardstock sails.
    I hope this help you too.

https://www.facebook.com/62437686760...4585533225098/

Thanks I will look at that too!

Just a 'Dog gone' minute! Do I see actual crew figurines on the deck? Julian, you have some explaining to do! Did you craft them or are there 1/700 scale figurines available?

I it is possible, could you take some close ups?

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

It is. It’s in 1:700 scale, but it’s still impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt Kangaroo View Post
    Just a 'Dog gone' minute! Do I see actual crew figurines on the deck? Julian, you have some explaining to do! Did you craft them or are there 1/700 scale figurines available?

I it is possible, could you take some close ups?
    Of course, these minis are from Eduard plain brass matrix of crew for WWI and WWII but I repaint for this period and work well.

Name:  20191207_141205.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  145.1 KB

Name:  20191105_163149 - copia.jpg
Views: 1186
Size:  163.8 KB

Name:  20191009_164352 - copia.jpg
Views: 1222
Size:  175.1 KB

If you want to use these miniatures for SoG ships you can use Eduard scale 1/800 https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....ht=HMS+Victory

Julian, thanks for the info and the close up shots. I looked up the link to Eduardo, and included it here. (I hope that's OK) I saw several types. Very interesting. I had no idea they were available, and what an effect!

https://www.eduard.com/index.php?sto...hparam=1%2F700

I also use this for Sail of Glory ships or to represent young people :)

https://www.eduard.com/Ships-and-sub...er=desc&lang=1

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now those may be very useful for my Sails too Julián
    Thanks Rob.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Sencillamente espectacular.

This man deserves the special order medal.
    He is the best painter here.