Thread: New Warlord Models

Default New Warlord Models

Warlords new 1/700 scale ships have reignited my flame for working on some ships. However, I’m not entirely sure I like their rules just yet. Wondering is anyone is planning to use their ships for SoG? Im thinking of printing up some bases for them, just curious if anyone else has thought about switching scales to make use of these really nice models?

Ryan.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I can advise you no better than to have a look at this thread Ryan.

https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...warlord+models

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Ryan, if you want to see more coverage of Black Seas ship models and you are on Facebook you might want to check out their page there? It's very active with modelers, and also some game discussions. I believe you'll have to join to view everything, but that doesn't take long.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Warl...ndBlackPowder/

There's also significant rules discussion on The Miniatures Page. The longest thread is here. http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=515717

I converted one of the generic frigates into the Flying Dutchman (the free frigate you receive in the October issue of Wargames Illustrated). I think the models are well done, although there are some issues with the metal parts for the exclusive models of Victory, l'Orient and the USS Constitution. Due to the 1/700 scale they are very easy to work with.

Cheers.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And a very fine Dutchman you have there Jim. I can almost hear Wagner playing in the background.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    And a very fine Dutchman you have there Jim. I can almost hear Wagner playing in the background.
    Rob.
    Thank you, Rob. I haven't done much modeling at all since the cataract surgery. I was curious to see if the scale might be easier now that I cannot focus up close as I had in the past. 1/700 is definitely easier to work with; very much so for rigging. Thanks also the rep!
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You are very welcome Jim.
    Good to hear your cataract surgery did not preclude you from all model work. Also just good to have your company on the Anchorage once more.
    I am just grateful that my one remaining eye being short sighted is good for close up work even if I can't see a barn door across the room.
    I can at least hear Wagner coming out of your ship!
    Rob.

I own a bunch of the models, and belong to a few Facebook groups on this front. I hadn’t seen a lot of discussion on people using them for SoG though!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    I own a bunch of the models, and belong to a few Facebook groups on this front. I hadn’t seen a lot of discussion on people using them for SoG though!
    I've not seen any discussion of using the Warlord models with Sails of Glory rules. The only thread, as far as I know, that has touched on them both is this one from The Miniatures Page. You'll see there are comments from David Manley. The models will certainly be used with other rule sets as confirmed by several on FB and TMP, but I doubt anyone will be trying to convert the use of cards for movement to a scale that would work with Black Seas? It would be interesting to see what it would look like if done, but I don't expect it's going to happen.

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=517689
    –English Proverb

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Hello Jim , really nice job with that ship
    I like the look , I can see the fog coming before the ship
    Nice idea using that models with SOG rules

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now that just gave me an idea Ferrante!
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  FlyingDF_edited-1.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  71.2 KB

With acknowledgements to Jim for supplying the original photograph.

Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Name:  FlyingDF_edited-1.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  71.2 KB

With acknowledgements to Jim for supplying the original photograph.

Rob.
    I like it! Thanks Rob!

Happy Halloween!

Now I can go out and shovel the 4 inches of snow that's on the ground and more to come. Winter is here.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That was an eye opener Jim. We are used to seeing the East Coast weather and forget that things can vary so much in your vast country. Here we have just had a perfect sunny crisp but chilly end to Autumn. Nearly had to put a coat on when I went out.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Thank you Rob
    I loved that photoshopped image ��

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Glad you enjoyed it.
    Look out for more of the fog of war when I post the AAR which I will be sailing later this week!
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Some upcoming ships from Warlords Games you can preorder now. I know the scale for ships will not work with Sails of Glory, but the scenery pack might be of interest to folks doing battles, etc.? I did purchase the l'Orient and it's a beast of a ship. If Warlords sticks to its listed schedule the Santisima Trinidad will be available mid December. Merchant ships (according to a Facebook post) will be early next year. Cheers!

https://us-store.warlordgames.com/co...ons/black-seas

https://us-store.warlordgames.com/co...s-scenery-pack

https://us-store.warlordgames.com/co...isima-trinidad
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks like some very interesting releases there Jim.
    Also the release schedule seems to be the sort of thing we had wished for from Ares. Even one new release a year would be an improvement.
    Rob.