Thread: New material for ratlines are coming!

Default New material for ratlines are coming!

Hello,

I would like to announce a little discovery that I have made in these last two months. This is a new material for ratlines called Nickle silver. It is an alloy composed of copper, nickel and zinc that gives it a hardness and strength that cannot be compared with any other material, such as traditional brass. It can be easily cut with scissors or cutter and sticks with superglue like any other metal.

The seller that I have found is from Poland. You can find it by ebay but also by facebook. The ratlines kit that would be needed for Sail of Glory ships would be one that he sells for scales between 1/1200 and 1/700. Each ratline kit has enough material for a ship, moreover, there are more ratline you really need, so you can use for smaller vessels, Xebecs, sloops, brigs , the rests.

I add a photo for you to see the size compared to a SOG ship.
    Name:  20191020_195055.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  119.8 KB

The price of each kit is 10 euros.

I add the links for buy this kits.

Ebay: https://www.ebay.es/itm/Photo-etched...4AAOSwPBJdSr1V

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Mikrostocznia-568563006936705/

I have been talking to him and he will soon be selling the same kit but for Warlord Games boats.

I hope you find it useful.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Thanks for this info, seems very interesting, I will check out the link

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Looks nice. Still not as good as the Anchorage Store, but really nice. I miss the slight hanging of the ratlines between the shrouds.

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Looks nice. Still not as good as the Anchorage Store, but really nice. I miss the slight hanging of the ratlines between the shrouds.
    What material are Anchorage Store ratlines made of?

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

They are brass.

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    They are brass.
    Are they strong and resistant? I have here brass and Nickle silver ratlines. Brass ratlines deform while nickle silver ones are like working with a rigid blade.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now that sounds a goer Julián. I have found the same problem with etched Brass for the bottle glass small pane windows on model buildings.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Now that sounds a goer Julián. I have found the same problem with etched Brass for the bottle glass small pane windows on model buildings.

Rob.
    I have put the link to the seller, you can contact him through ebay or by facebook. You can ask him if he makes custom designs for other pieces. To my knowledge, it only has for sale the ratlines and railings in this material.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Julián.
    I just spotted it on your first post.
    Had a look at the E-Bay one as i don't do Facebook. I like what I see and the price is O.K for the small number of ships I would Do Just the ones for my AAR's. Not general usage at shows.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Thanks Julián.
    I just spotted it on your first post.
    Had a look at the E-Bay one as i don't do Facebook. I like what I see and the price is O.K for the small number of ships I would Do Just the ones for my AAR's. Not general usage at shows.
    Rob.
    For the ships of Warlord Game I see it as an imperative, since the plastic masts do not hold the rigging and all the work would be ruined. Apart from this, the offer Warlord offers with its ratlines is neither practical nor to my liking.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Thank you Julián
    This is a must that i always needed for my ships
    Regards paisano

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    For the ships of Warlord Game I see it as an imperative, since the plastic masts do not hold the rigging and all the work would be ruined. Apart from this, the offer Warlord offers with its ratlines is neither practical nor to my liking.
    With the larger scale of the Warlord ships it is important to have good ratlines and other rigging of course. I am skeptical of the material of the Warlord ratlines myself.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Have half rigged one brig using the thread supplied with the starter set and added one set of ratlines.
    I think further rigging of models I will use the bristle method to add a bit of extra strength to the plastic.
    Its the sails I am having the main problem with getting them to fit right, my poor eyes cant take the strain it seems.

Up to now I have only used Langton brass ratlines, but Using the supplied photocopied version seem to work ok, provided you cut close, and overlaps dont show up too much.
    But I am not too sure how well the sails and rigging will stand up to the handling during game play as there is no base usingbthe rules so you will directly handle the model during movement, of course we can mount on a perspex base so as to see the wake but wouldnot like to use at a show or such due to heavy handed punters.
    I will post some pics of both thread and ratlines installed once completed.
    But I do think the ratlines provide a cheap and viable option for the Ares models for game play. Each ratline sheet has enough for a coyple of models, for example the frigate sheet gives enough for one frigate and three brigs, for £1.50 around 3 € I think.
    Last edited by Capn Duff; 10-23-2019 at 11:15.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for the progress report Chris.
    I am not really surprised at your findings thus far.
    Much as I expected from what has already been said.
    The good news is the price per ship and the fact that the Ares ships are strong enough with just rigging so Ratlines are not an issue if a bit weaker.
    Rob.