Thread: Davids Vs Goliath

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Default Davids Vs Goliath

Hello!

I was visiting a friend today and took my sails game. We decided to crack it open and have a small game.

The same started with them sailing 3 frigates: HMS Fairy, HMS Meleager, and HMS Sybille
    I was flying French colours, on the Ship of The Line: Orient.
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  143.3 KB

The wind was in the favour of the Royal Navy, as both sides closed in ready to clash.
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  137.8 KB
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  150.0 KB

Disaster struck for both parties, shortly after closing the distance, a collision between HMS Sybille and the Orient. To which the rigging became entangled!
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  193.1 KB
    Name:  5.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  161.2 KB

Shortly afterwards HMS Meleager managed to fire off a double loaded shot from their rear arc! Not doing much to the Orient's hull integrity, but certainly showing many Frenchmen the might of the Royal Navy!
    Name:  6.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  120.5 KB

The captain of the Orient demanded to return fire, onto the smaller British Frigate. Dealing a substantial amount of damage, to the ship and her crew.
    Name:  7.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  183.1 KB

Shortly after HMS Sybille and Orient untangled their rigging, and moved on... they became entangled again. And this time, both sides decided to board to the other ship.
    Seems like the Orient's crew, though larger in numbers, cannot compete to their Royal Naval counterparts; who managed to kill of 2 sections of Frenchmen, and only losing a section of their own!
    Name:  8.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  175.2 KB

After escaping the entanglement, and disengaging the boarding parties, they managed to break free...

HMS Syiblle seeing the chance to fire from her rear arc, a rear raking shot, loaded with double onto the Orient.
    Name:  9.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  142.2 KB

However, the Orient returned the favour.
    Name:  10.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  166.9 KB

Once they managed to FINALLY sail apart from each other, the Orient found the HMS Fairy nearby... and with a single double loaded shot from her rear arc, turned her into scrap.
    Name:  11.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  155.6 KB
    Name:  12.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  221.1 KB

In the meantime, HMS Sybille sailed off the end of the world, came back, and then sunk.
    Name:  13.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  157.1 KB
    Name:  14.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  143.5 KB
    Name:  15.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  221.2 KB

HMS Meleager swooped back into action to avenge the lost ships that were lost to the might of the Orient.
    Name:  16.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  164.3 KB

Shortly the Orient managed to swing her about to try and finish the job and claim victory for the French Navy... which didn't work too well.
    Name:  17.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  96.4 KB

Until HMS Meleager thought they had scared off the Orient, firing off the first full broadside of the game. Not doing an awful lot of damage to the Meleager.
    Name:  18.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  113.3 KB

A sudden boarding action took place, with what little crew was still going on the Orient daring to take on the Royal Navy yet again.
    Name:  19.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  96.6 KB

A lesson the French didn't learn, all the crew on board had fought gallantly, but to no avail.
    Name:  20.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  178.6 KB

The British had claimed the most marvellous prize, the Orient... she may have been greatly damaged and just about afloat, but this would be a prize any captain would be highly decorated for bringing home.
    But on the other hand, the British had also received many losses. Was claiming the Orient worth the risk and losses the British took?
    Last edited by McDorf; 10-13-2019 at 14:32.
    No-one expects a ship full of dwarves.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

An unusual action? But a very close game, sounds like it might be fun, I must give this a go.
    Cheers

Great AAR, Gary!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Nice battle.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    An unusual action? But a very close game, sounds like it might be fun, I must give this a go.
    Cheers
    They had the starting set and a few British frigates, as I lack some French ships, I could have used my British frigates. So we agreed that I'd use my Ship of The Line, and see how interesting it would have played!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Nice one Gary.
    Thanks for this AAR.
    An unusual set of circumstances as the chaps say but very interesting as it developed.
    Is this your first AAR on the anchorage as games master?
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

There are kind of historical precedents to this. There’s the action of 13 January 1797. Kind of your own version of that.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

An unusual scenario but enjoyable to read, well done that man.
    Just one rules point to remember, any raking shot has to be fired from the full broadside, you dont get raking shots using the half battery arcs.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

I enjoyed a lot reading This battle report
    Thank you

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    An unusual scenario but enjoyable to read, well done that man.
    Just one rules point to remember, any raking shot has to be fired from the full broadside, you dont get raking shots using the half battery arcs.
    Cheers Chris.
    I couldn't quite remember how the raking shots worked, so I allowed this for both sides. I think I did bend/change some of the rules just to keep things going and keep it short.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Nice one Gary.
    Thanks for this AAR.
    An unusual set of circumstances as the chaps say but very interesting as it developed.
    Is this your first AAR on the anchorage as games master?
    Rob.
    This is indeed my first AAR here, and my first time being the game master for sails.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I had a feeling it was your first outing into this field Gary.
    Well done and keep up the good work.
    i look forward to your next outing with much anticipation.
    Meantime, I await my next encounter with the good Captain Kiwi.
    This is due on Monday and I expect him to take me apart again as usual.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.