Thread: Action of 13 October 1796

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Default Action of 13 October 1796 ( pics )

It was a minor action between the spanish 32 gun frigate Mahonesa Spanish and the 36 gun British HMS Terpsichore . The spanish frigate was moving troops between Cartagena and Cádiz . And when passing throught Gata Cape Mahonesa encountered HMS[/I] Terpsichore.
    The ships fought an extended engagement at close quarters.

Finally after a 3 hours fight , the Mahonesa frigate was captured by the british ship , and was taken to Gibraltar.

https://todoavante.es/index.php?titl...l_cabo_de_Gata

Name:  C2B459B2-F7C3-4F5A-B192-AFAC1EC67902.jpeg
Views: 544
Size:  61.2 KB

The scenario purpose is to represent this little battle. Ideal for Beginners or solo play
    Both ships available on Sails of Glory ships.
    One player wins when the other ship is sank or captured .
    Wind is E.
    I hope you can enjoy it

Name:  AC5B35B8-C5EE-4D14-9739-8F4BEF381EEF.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  127.1 KB
    Last edited by Ferrante; 10-14-2019 at 09:40.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks a nice little action Ferrante. Will you be playing it yourself, and if so will you post your pictures for us?
    I love that painting of the two ships.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Looks like a nice little scenario.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    Looks like a nice little scenario.
    Yes my dear Comte, and I would not need to make much scenery for this one!
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Why not?

Rebuilt a few miles of Spanish coast and put two frigates on the map.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Ferrante this would be a nice game to play out because as you say both ships are available from Ares.

Indeed I almost bought Mahonesa last week but when they went to fulfill my order they couldn't find the ship in the warehouse it was at a very good price as well

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Hello , i am trying to do something quick for the coast, and i will have something soon with pics

Yes it is easy and fun escenario , you can still find both ships from ares

Vagabond , do you finally found the Mahonesa ¿

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrante View Post
    Hello , i am trying to do something quick for the coast, and i will have something soon with pics

Yes it is easy and fun escenario , you can still find both ships from ares

Vagabond , do you finally found the Mahonesa ¿
    No but I wasn't really looking for Mahonesa, its a long story but I was ordering some planes for wow and saw her at a very low price. I was going to change the flag to give me an even number of British and French frigates in my navies. I dare not start collecting Spanish ships as I have spent too much money recently on the British and French

I see you are from Almeria, we almost spent the winter there when we were sailing but never actually made it. Hopefully we will get there someday because apart from the city, the Cabo de Gata desert is a place I would like to visit. We've been to the area of the Alpujjaras twice and would like to go again, its a beautiful part of Spain you live in, apart from the greenhouses of course!

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Nice to hear that John . Almeria is a great place for the winter , minimum temperatures are between 10-18 degrees . Here we have the only European desert , and some lonely and nice beaches . Also we have some coastal batteries .

I made this little village to represent a nearest village from the action. It is not historical 100% , but it was funny to made , and similar to some little village here. I had to reemplace the terpshichore because I painted black the white pendant when painting the black mast

The little village
    Name:  C24C34FF-45E2-4DB2-9211-80987FD23EF4.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  228.0 KB

Name:  012330B0-3BFA-47EB-B44F-B8660BAA92A6.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  195.0 KB

Both ships approaching
    Name:  128B1DA1-CC5D-4804-AE53-28858A7E7027.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  145.0 KB

Name:  4FA56C19-CB25-4181-AA69-6F41269E054D.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  184.9 KB

Both ships began firing
    Name:  84344B05-6668-4CEF-92C3-DBF1A4CF3764.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  175.8 KB

Name:  84344B05-6668-4CEF-92C3-DBF1A4CF3764.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  175.8 KB

A view from the watchtower
    Name:  FC16B0B3-1935-4DD8-9D9C-860CB54D7B07.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  163.1 KB
    Name:  4E5165E8-87B0-4460-B0D8-A8941FC25E88.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  176.2 KB

Both ships heavy damaged , but this time the mahonesa was sank

Name:  E257BA70-C909-40CC-8C41-93EB2BB6DF96.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  134.4 KB
    Name:  3AAB44DE-B7F9-4851-9BD9-831FBFCDB946.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  129.1 KB

Sorry , no time for more now ...
    Regards

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That confirms my expectations of the Battle possibilities Ferrante.
    Thank you. A very good starter for new Captains to get some experience, with the headland giving an extra interest to what would otherwise be a sterile action on a blue background.
    Well done.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Kirk

I was reading about this battle and it mentioned it took place "in light winds" so I was going to start the scenario with the wind gauge at minimum. Now I just have to wait for the model of the Mahonesa to arrive...

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

If she was acting as a troop ship, then the Mahonesa should be at a disadvantage - usually armed en-flute, with fewer stores for the ship's company and ordnance - as the bulk of the space and displacement was required for troops, their stores and supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by Lieste View Post
    If she was acting as a troop ship, then the Mahonesa should be at a disadvantage - usually armed en-flute, with fewer stores for the ship's company and ordnance - as the bulk of the space and displacement was required for troops, their stores and supplies.
    Wouldn't that depend on the context of the mission? In other words, she may not have been a dedicated en flute transport, rather just transporting a unit of infantry on a short voyage. For reference there is the Battle of Lissa where the French flagship Favorite was carrying troops to capture the port on the island. It was unclear if the entire 500 man battalion was on the flagship, but the Colonel and 200 men marched on the town after the Favorite ran aground.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It was indeed quite a regular method of transporting troops as you say Eric, as it was quite a job to convert a vessel to a dedicated troop ship.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Incidentally you may find this interesting reading if you don't have any better detailed information or
    resources.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_of_13_October_1796

https://threedecks.org/index.php?display_type=show_battle&id=540

Rob.

Very interesting indeed. HMS Terpsichore had an illustrious career, but I guess that is why she was selected as a model

No mention of troops, but the British were down on crew due to illness.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That shortage of crew was what caught my attention Eric.
    Ferrante obviously has a source which adds the details about the troop transportation. I wonder if it has any more detail as to the numbers involved or the ships armament?
    Rob.