Thread: You know you spent a lot a money in SoG...

Default You know you spent a lot a money in SoG...

...when visiting your flagshipstore for a nice little Spanish 1st rate and they want 24 € for it.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

If Santa Ana 1784 / Mejicano 1786 will do, you can buy one for £17.49 (plus shipping) here https://www.board-game.co.uk/product...ory-ship-pack/

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good find Dave. Quite a few good ships at very reasonable prices there.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

I've bought a couple of ships from Zatu and have had very quick delivery. They appear to have reduced the prices on some others that I would like, so may have to spend some more money.
    Thanks Dave

I think if I was a seller of ships I would be fed up with the lack of Starter sets eliminating new gamers and therefore reducing my market for additional ships. It doesn't seem a good long term survival strategy to me.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

According to Ares, the starter set will be reissued in October.
    I fully intend to grab a couple for resale to keen punters when the flow of re releases runs out again. This just to encourage some new blood otherwise lost to us.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

That's good news, and a good idea of yours as well. The last set I saw for sale was just under £300, although there is one on ebay now for £75 2nd hand.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If they honestly think that there is the chance of a sale at that price, it proves that there are still people very keen to get hold of the game. That would bear out the sort of comments wich we are picking up at shows throughout GB.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Honstly I don't understand it, I've been seeing the same seller listing MvR red triplane for sale on Ebay at £126 for over a year now, I don't believe they are seriously trying to sell it, but I don't know what they are trying to achieve, maybe drive prices up in general because people think the planes have a greater value than original selling prices. Who knows.
    Ships don't seem to be too bad, but that might be because there are no new players so a limited pool of customers.

I've just placed an order with Rarewaves-united for 3 ships to be supplied from the US, average price £12.40 inc postage. They are UK based and say there won't be customs charges so hopefully it's not one of those things that, if it seems too good to be true, then it is to good to be true.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You may be lucky with Customs John. They do seem to be a bit hit and miss with charges. Is that £12.40 each?
    If so it will exceed the free delivery.
    Customs ain't so bad for a small item like that. What bugs me is the £8 handling charge from Parcel Farce, for the privilege of my having to go and collecting it myself.

Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

I agree with you about the £8.00.

Yes the average price is £12.40, 2 are at 11 something and 1 at 13 something. I've been told that there are 3 separate packages so individually are under the £15 cost to avoid customs.
    I'll see how it pans out, hope for the best and accept its a bit of a gamble, I'm saving about £18 on uk cost inc postage so if the worst happens I should still break even.
    I'll let you know how it goes.

Finally bougth it today.

Maybe Santa Ana will see action in Prague this year.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well done that man.
    Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Well done, Sven!

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Spent a lot? Try a Kickstarter Commodore package, and two of everything since except Victory (considering a second to swap minis with Britannia, if I can find one), Constitution and BHR. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I will have to count up my ships DB. Did not get the KS to my interminable regret, but had to paint up replicas for all but Redoubtable which I got from a friend who had bought in for two KS sets. I think apart from two of everything I must have about 20 extra repaints and wrecks etc plus a few I bought for show prizes or friends presents. Don't really want to start adding it all up.
    I know Captain Duff has more than me.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

For a long time I tried to stay under 100 ships, but when I realized that was passed I kind of let myself slip. I still hope I'm under 150 ships at least. Maybe... maybe not...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Felt it was time to start a compilation of what ships I actually have now so as I am stuck with a pulled muscle in my leg I sat down and catalogued my Spanish Fleet for starters and here they are. Just one First rate still on the way from Entoyment missing.

Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bligh; 02-09-2020 at 03:20.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Yup I got a couple of ships of various types

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You can see them now as well. My posts are showing up again.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

That backdrop is very beautiful, Rob. It looks great.

Those were quite easy for me. When they were released I bought two of each and then I have added a Santísima and a few of the frigates.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now I'm cataloging all my ships Jonas I,m finding a few holes to fill where I missed doubling up. I have another Spanish ship on the way, to fill in because several got used as other ships for Trafalgar and got new names and cards ascribed to them. I also realized that they did not do any Spanish Sloops.
    It will be the same with the French. I have four not duplicated. Two because a Bertin and Duc de Durras were used as HEIC and Chilean navy ships and two in the French Fleet that I missed doubling up, one of which is also on the way. The other I will have to search for.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And yesterday I did the French.

Mrs Bligh did the clouds!
    Slartibartfast did the Fjords.
    Last edited by Bligh; 02-08-2020 at 03:58.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The British Fleet.
    Last edited by Bligh; 02-09-2020 at 03:16.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today a much smaller offering.
    My entire American squadron.
    Last edited by Bligh; 02-09-2020 at 12:38.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Very nice fleets there Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Chris.
    Much of the French, Spanish and English are down to your inspiration with your Trafalgar fleet.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today it's the turn of my Chilean Navy.

Rob.

Nice little fleet.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is my last group of ships as such.
    The slowly expanding HEIC Flotilla.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here are the odds and ends which did not really fit into any category.