Thread: Black Seas

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Plastic models cost a fortune to set up (a sprue / frame costs in the region of £25,000) so they are only going to be used for volume sellers, items in starter sets etc. There is a minimum size for resin to be a practical proposition, and spun cast white metal works well for smaller items.
    This has been repeated a number of times on their Facebook page, but folks don't seem to get it? Unfortunately, from my experience the metal casting for the masts is pretty bad. I have no issues with the anchors, boats, stern galleries, etc., but the bendable nature of the masts is disappointing. I'm not a metallurgy expert, but isn't there some way to make white metal less flexible, but also not breakable?
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

GHQ makes a nice xebec, although it is in 1/1200 scale.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As Xebecs came in all sizes I don't think that would be too much of a problem to fit in Bill. My Langton Xebecs seem to work with the Ares Sloops and Frigates O.K.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Thanks for the info chaps.
    I won't be indulging in the larger scales myself. Even with my Wargames Armies I am gradually downsizing to 15mm.
    Rob.
    I’ve been painting 15mm over Christmas and new year’s. Adding to my GNW army.
    Name:  47221068-28A0-421C-9C21-CC5D06A3262F.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  169.1 KB
    Name:  8A9BF114-6FE5-469E-8B4F-E3FB3E5C6371.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  231.0 KB

Very nice Jonas!!

Most of my Napoleonic collection is 15mm, except for the 1815 armies for the 100 days in 6mm. ( I can no longer see that scale to paint it!)

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Warlord Games just posted some preview photos for upcoming ships to be added to the existing Black Seas line. 64s, Santa Ana 1st rate, gun ketch and 4th rates. These are all preproduction images, but they've increased the mast details and it even looks like the yards have been moved more forward from the masts? Some of the older ships are included in these previews for size comparisons.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    –English Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Warlord Games just posted some preview photos for upcoming ships to be added to the existing Black Seas line. 64s, Santa Ana 1st rate, gun ketch and 4th rates. These are all preproduction images, but they've increased the mast details and it even looks like the yards have been moved more forward from the masts? Some of the older ships are included in these previews for size comparisons.
    They do look better. They need to step up their game with all the 3d printers out there now. Jim have you read WL new shipping policy? $50 minimum order to the US. I usually order bits and bobs from them or sprues and get their sets at conventions.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    They do look better. They need to step up their game with all the 3d printers out there now. Jim have you read WL new shipping policy? $50 minimum order to the US. I usually order bits and bobs from them or sprues and get their sets at conventions.
    Oh, yes, the Warlords shipping policy is causing quite a stir on Facebook. More than one person has said they're done with Warlords. And it's not just US customers as this issue is impacting EU customers as well as others across the globe.
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 03-28-2021 at 09:05. Reason: typo
    –English Proverb

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Oh, yes, the Warlords shipping policy is causing quite a stir on Facebook. More than one person has said they're done with Warlords. An it's not just US customers as this issue is impacting EU customers as well as others across the globe.
    Yes I sent them a rather stiff email earlier this week as well -- I order a number of smaller items from them like bases for my new Sharp Practice and Infamy, Infamy armies not to mention my daughter gave me 2 Black Seas starter sets for Christmas that I wanted to augment -- but not with the shipping policies they now have in place.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Doesn't help that prices on everything petroleum and petrochemical (including plastics, fertilizers and transportation fuels) have jumped 30% in the past six months... Why is not the realm of this discussion, the fact that that IS a very big cost driver is relevant though.

Guess I better call Miniature Market and release all my holds...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
    Yes I sent them a rather stiff email earlier this week as well -- I order a number of smaller items from them like bases for my new Sharp Practice and Infamy, Infamy armies not to mention my daughter gave me 2 Black Seas starter sets for Christmas that I wanted to augment -- but not with the shipping policies they now have in place.
    Oh very nice. I don't mine a price increase per se but I rarely make a large enough order to even qualify. Germans for Infamy Infamy are in the painting que for me. At the latest Virtual Lard last weekend someone ran a Lord of the Rings version of Infamy!

Oh, yes, the Warlords shipping policy is causing quite a stir on Facebook. More than one person has said they're done with Warlords. An it's not just US customers as this issue is impacting EU customers as well as others across the globe.
    I had a little back and forth with someone affiliated with WL on twitter who was quite vociferously defending them, blaming Brexit and the USPS! He never responded to my comment about the order minimum.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I had a little back and forth with someone affiliated with WL on twitter who was quite vociferously defending them, blaming Brexit and the USPS! He never responded to my comment about the order minimum.
    Not to belabor the side topic, but if I read some of the Facebook comments correctly they (meaning Warlords) haven't yet figured out how they're going to apply new Value Added Taxes once those have been calculated post Brexit!? I'm afraid it's only going to get worse. As Rob has mentioned elsewhere we can be glad that 3D printing is coming into its own with all the worldwide issues impacting us these days.
    –English Proverb

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Not to belabor the side topic, but if I read some of the Facebook comments correctly they (meaning Warlords) haven't yet figured out how they're going to apply new Value Added Taxes once those have been calculated post Brexit!? I'm afraid it's only going to get worse. As Rob has mentioned elsewhere we can be glad that 3D printing is coming into its own with all the worldwide issues impacting us these days.
    Frankly, my suspicion is that once the technology matures to give finer resolutions, traditional miniatures manufacturing will be on borrowed time. The craftsmen will just print their own and the prepaint-preassembled market will contract to those demanding higher fidelity at premium prices, just as we're seeing with the slow death of traditional scale modeling and model railroading.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I've made a load of 3D models of 1/300 and 1/600 WW2 costal forces craft which I was putting up for free on some of the Facebook naval groups. I've stoped doing that now as one of my friends said things like that were likely to put him out of business.

Model railways I think are a bit harder to manage in 3D modelling, at least as far as locomotives are concerned. But I have seen some lovely 3D printed carriage, wagon and loco bodies so I agree it is a matter of time.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    I've made a load of 3D models of 1/300 and 1/600 WW2 costal forces craft which I was putting up for free on some of the Facebook naval groups. I've stoped doing that now as one of my friends said things like that were likely to put him out of business.

Model railways I think are a bit harder to manage in 3D modelling, at least as far as locomotives are concerned. But I have seen some lovely 3D printed carriage, wagon and loco bodies so I agree it is a matter of time.
    Main barrier for modern American types is the chassis; EMD and GE each have standard "building block" components that stack onto different frames to build up different models. Even the old "Covered Wagons" of the '50s, the hard part is the cab and nose compound-curves, everything behind the cab door is basically a slab of sheet material. OTOH, a California company 3d-printed a fully functional Colt .45 out of Inconel a few years ago and they still haven't stressed it to breaking in test-fire yet, so... it's a matter of time, and realistic expectations about what can be done as a single piece vs what needs to be done as separately fabricated components with a human assembler.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Oh, yes, the Warlords shipping policy is causing quite a stir on Facebook. More than one person has said they're done with Warlords. And it's not just US customers as this issue is impacting EU customers as well as others across the globe.
    I guess things will get even more exciting when the EU brings in the same rules in the Summer :/

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Oh very nice. I don't mine a price increase per se but I rarely make a large enough order to even qualify. Germans for Infamy Infamy are in the painting que for me. At the latest Virtual Lard last weekend someone ran a Lord of the Rings version of Infamy!
    Eric --I'm just getting started on painting for Infamy, Infamy, but on the Lard front I am pretty far along for Sharp Practice forces for French & Indian War and American Civil War -- here are some pics:

Name:  F & I 3.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  222.0 KB

Name:  F & I.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  185.5 KB

Name:  F & I 2.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  225.1 KB

Name:  Sharp Practice 5.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  213.0 KB

Name:  ACW 3.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  193.4 KB

Name:  ACW 1.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  173.8 KB

Perhaps if Historicon ever happens again, we could meet up there for some Lard action....
    Bill

Eric --I'm just getting started on painting for Infamy, Infamy, but on the Lard front I am pretty far along for Sharp Practice forces for French & Indian War and American Civil War -- here are some pics:

Perhaps if Historicon ever happens again, we could meet up there for some Lard action....
    Bill
    Very nice! Love those grenadiers! Yes indeed let's keep our fingers crossed for November! It will be in Valley Forge which should make it a bit of a shorter drive from NY!

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Very nice! Love those grenadiers! Yes indeed let's keep our fingers crossed for November! It will be in Valley Forge which should make it a bit of a shorter drive from NY!
    I've got my room lined up already for November -- it has been quite some time since I have been to Valley Forge. Playing my first game of Sharp Practice on April 16 -- French & Indian War.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am impressed by your F&IW troops Bill. Also their armoured support vehicle to the rear.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

I've got my room lined up already for November -- it has been quite some time since I have been to Valley Forge. Playing my first game of Sharp Practice on April 16 -- French & Indian War.
    It is about a 45 minute drive for me depending on traffic so I can forego the room. Maybe we can meet up at the show. I am debating whether to run a Coastal Patrol game or Kiss Me Hardy (using SoG ships) or maybe both. Sharp Practice is a great game. So is Chain of Command (noticing your armor there).

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

It is about a 45 minute drive for me depending on traffic so I can forego the room. Maybe we can meet up at the show. I am debating whether to run a Coastal Patrol game or Kiss Me Hardy (using SoG ships) or maybe both. Sharp Practice is a great game. So is Chain of Command (noticing your armor there).
    Lets stay in touch -- perhaps we can coordinate a Sharp Practice encounter that weekend. Please let me know when your games are scheduled at Historicon so I may sign up!
    Bill

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

I am impressed by your F&IW troops Bill. Also their armoured support vehicle to the rear.
    Rob.
    Thanks Rob -- I'm new to Sharp Practice but the appeal is great in that you can play many different musket periods without a great investment for figures (since its a skirmish game there are 40-100 figures per side). I am going down to Mythicos in Mahwah, New Jersey on Friday to meet my friend Chris to play Sharp Practice -- my first in person war game in over a year! Mahwah is an Iroquois word that roughly translates as "future site of a really terrific war game shop".... Since its a French and Indian War game I've been building woodland terrain like crazy (see photo below). I've also been building American Civil War forces for a future Sharp Practice game. I know that is one of your periods of interest so here are a couple of photos of those forces as well ( Iron Brigade and Hood's Texans). Sharp Practice is applicable to the American War for Independence, Napoleonics, American Civil War, French and Indian War, and Indian Mutiny (among others). I plan to dabble in many of them!

Name:  sharp practice 6.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  180.0 KB

Name:  sharp practice 7.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  189.8 KB

Name:  sharp practice 8.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  159.0 KB

Lets stay in touch -- perhaps we can coordinate a Sharp Practice encounter that weekend. Please let me know when your games are scheduled at Historicon so I may sign up!
    Bill
    Will do.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

They look great Bill.
    My ACW troops are all 15mm but I have not painted in that scale since my eyes went.
    Must have them out for a game shortly.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

They look great Bill.
    My ACW troops are all 15mm but I have not painted in that scale since my eyes went.
    Must have them out for a game shortly.

Rob.
    My eyes are going too! Hence the move to 28mm. Many years ago I was in a year long campaign game in 15mm ACW, so I have many 100's of figures in that scale as well -- here are my 15mm Pennsylvania Bucktails and 15mm Hood's Texans;

Name:  ACW4.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  203.4 KB

Name:  ACW5.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  203.8 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now I really need to look mine out Bill.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

I am playing French and Indian War Sharp Practice on Friday -- I haven't played this period for decades, since I lived in Pittsburgh and used the Sword and the Flame variant for the period. The Pittsburgh area is a hot bed of historical sites related to what we in the states call the French and Indian War and what the rest of the world calls the Seven Years War --the first great world war that grew out of a backwoods dispute outside of Pittsburgh, that raged across multiple oceans and multiple continents.
    For those interested here are some links to sites in and around the Pittsburgh area related to this first great world war (I've visited them a number of times):

Jumonville Glen -- where a young George Washington ambushed a French party starting the whole bloody affair:
    https://www.nps.gov/articles/jumonville-glen.htm

Fort Necessity -- where the British and allied forces made their last stand against the French and Indians:
    https://www.nps.gov/fone/index.htm

Braddock's Grave Site -- where the British commanding officer was quickly buried on the hasty retreat (he has since been reburied in the UK):
    https://www.nps.gov/fone/braddockgrave.htm

Fort Ligonier:
    https://www.fortligonier.org/

Fort Pitt Blockhouse (Fort Pitt [then called Fort Duquesne by the French] was the original objective of the mission):
    http://www.fortpittblockhouse.com/

Fort Pitt Museum:
    https://www.heinzhistorycenter.org/fort-pitt/

Bushy Run Battlefield:
    https://bushyrunbattlefield.com/

A modest drive North of where I now live in the Hudson River Valley are other sites related to the war. This is the area where James Fenimore Cooper set his Leatherstocking Tales (The Pathfinder, The Deerslayer, and most famously The Last of the Mohicans):

Fort William Henry -- (made so well known in Last of the Mohicans):
    https://www.fwhmuseum.com/

Fort Ticonderoga:
    https://www.fortticonderoga.org/

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Rob.
    A week ago I played my first in person war game in over a year. I drove down to New Jersey to meet my friend Chris for a French and Indian War game of Sharp Practice. The trading post, all the terrain, and all the British figures are from my collections. The mission was to rescue two damsels in distress at the local trading post from the dastardly depredations of the approaching French and Indian column. My British column consisted of elements of Roger's Rangers, two elements (one line, one light infantry) of the 60th Royal American Regiment, and an Iroquois war band all under the command of Lord Blicester:

Name:  Sharp F&I 6.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  217.9 KB

The French column consisted of two elements of French line, one element of Canadian militia, and a Huron war band -- all determined to get to the trading post to capture the two women at the trading post:

Name:  sharp F&I 5.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  138.8 KB

Name:  sharp F&I 4.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  189.4 KB

My Iroquois war band attacked the left flank of the advancing French and held them up with a withering fire that allowed the Royal Americans to spirit away the two women:

Name:  sharp F&I 3.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  203.9 KB

Name:  sharp F&I 2.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  206.8 KB

Ultimately the line troops held the road while the surviving light infantry (and Lord Blicester) escort the ladies to safety;

Name:  sharp F&I 1.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  189.7 KB

It was such a great relief to be able to game in person once again. Next week I am meeting my friend Hank at The Portal over in Manchester, Connecticut for a big battle (3x the army lists) DBN game (De Bellis Napoeonicis).

Very nice looking game. Love Sharp Practice. My first live game is on 5/7 - either What a Tanker or Infamy Infamy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Nice to see some real action again Bill, even if not Naval.
    Are those some of your 28mm troops?

Rob.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Very nice looking game. Love Sharp Practice. My first live game is on 5/7 - either What a Tanker or Infamy Infamy.
    Love to see photos of your game -- this was my first Sharp Practice experience and I really enjoyed it.
    B.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Nice to see some real action again Bill, even if not Naval.
    Are those some of your 28mm troops?

Rob.
    Yes -- they are my 28mm figs, however upcoming DBN game over in Connecticut is in 15mm -- it is hard to find a Sails opponent around my area -- wish that wasn't the case.
    Last edited by Wentworth; 04-26-2021 at 08:17.