Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 51 to 72 of 72

Thread: Black Seas

  1. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Plastic models cost a fortune to set up (a sprue / frame costs in the region of £25,000) so they are only going to be used for volume sellers, items in starter sets etc. There is a minimum size for resin to be a practical proposition, and spun cast white metal works well for smaller items.
    This has been repeated a number of times on their Facebook page, but folks don't seem to get it? Unfortunately, from my experience the metal casting for the masts is pretty bad. I have no issues with the anchors, boats, stern galleries, etc., but the bendable nature of the masts is disappointing. I'm not a metallurgy expert, but isn't there some way to make white metal less flexible, but also not breakable?
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

  2. #52

    Default

    GHQ makes a nice xebec, although it is in 1/1200 scale.

  3. #53
    Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Notts
    Log Entries
    18,226
    Blog Entries
    22
    Name
    Rob

    Default

    As Xebecs came in all sizes I don't think that would be too much of a problem to fit in Bill. My Langton Xebecs seem to work with the Ares Sloops and Frigates O.K.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

  4. #54
    Captain
    Sweden

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Linköping
    Log Entries
    3,246
    Blog Entries
    6
    Name
    Jonas

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Thanks for the info chaps.
    I won't be indulging in the larger scales myself. Even with my Wargames Armies I am gradually downsizing to 15mm.
    Rob.
    I’ve been painting 15mm over Christmas and new year’s. Adding to my GNW army.
    Name:  47221068-28A0-421C-9C21-CC5D06A3262F.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  169.1 KB
    Name:  8A9BF114-6FE5-469E-8B4F-E3FB3E5C6371.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  231.0 KB

  5. #55
    1st Lieutenant
    United States

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Log Entries
    1,134
    Name
    Eric

    Default

    Very nice Jonas!!

    Most of my Napoleonic collection is 15mm, except for the 1815 armies for the 100 days in 6mm. ( I can no longer see that scale to paint it!)

  6. #56

    Default

    Warlord Games just posted some preview photos for upcoming ships to be added to the existing Black Seas line. 64s, Santa Ana 1st rate, gun ketch and 4th rates. These are all preproduction images, but they've increased the mast details and it even looks like the yards have been moved more forward from the masts? Some of the older ships are included in these previews for size comparisons.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

  7. #57
    1st Lieutenant
    United States

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Log Entries
    1,134
    Name
    Eric

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Warlord Games just posted some preview photos for upcoming ships to be added to the existing Black Seas line. 64s, Santa Ana 1st rate, gun ketch and 4th rates. These are all preproduction images, but they've increased the mast details and it even looks like the yards have been moved more forward from the masts? Some of the older ships are included in these previews for size comparisons.
    They do look better. They need to step up their game with all the 3d printers out there now. Jim have you read WL new shipping policy? $50 minimum order to the US. I usually order bits and bobs from them or sprues and get their sets at conventions.

  8. #58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    They do look better. They need to step up their game with all the 3d printers out there now. Jim have you read WL new shipping policy? $50 minimum order to the US. I usually order bits and bobs from them or sprues and get their sets at conventions.
    Oh, yes, the Warlords shipping policy is causing quite a stir on Facebook. More than one person has said they're done with Warlords. And it's not just US customers as this issue is impacting EU customers as well as others across the globe.
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 03-28-2021 at 09:05. Reason: typo
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

  9. #59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Oh, yes, the Warlords shipping policy is causing quite a stir on Facebook. More than one person has said they're done with Warlords. An it's not just US customers as this issue is impacting EU customers as well as others across the globe.
    Yes I sent them a rather stiff email earlier this week as well -- I order a number of smaller items from them like bases for my new Sharp Practice and Infamy, Infamy armies not to mention my daughter gave me 2 Black Seas starter sets for Christmas that I wanted to augment -- but not with the shipping policies they now have in place.

  10. #60
    Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    WA
    Log Entries
    3,741
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

    Default

    Doesn't help that prices on everything petroleum and petrochemical (including plastics, fertilizers and transportation fuels) have jumped 30% in the past six months... Why is not the realm of this discussion, the fact that that IS a very big cost driver is relevant though.

    Guess I better call Miniature Market and release all my holds...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

  11. #61
    1st Lieutenant
    United States

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Log Entries
    1,134
    Name
    Eric

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
    Yes I sent them a rather stiff email earlier this week as well -- I order a number of smaller items from them like bases for my new Sharp Practice and Infamy, Infamy armies not to mention my daughter gave me 2 Black Seas starter sets for Christmas that I wanted to augment -- but not with the shipping policies they now have in place.
    Oh very nice. I don't mine a price increase per se but I rarely make a large enough order to even qualify. Germans for Infamy Infamy are in the painting que for me. At the latest Virtual Lard last weekend someone ran a Lord of the Rings version of Infamy!

  12. #62
    1st Lieutenant
    United States

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Log Entries
    1,134
    Name
    Eric

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Oh, yes, the Warlords shipping policy is causing quite a stir on Facebook. More than one person has said they're done with Warlords. An it's not just US customers as this issue is impacting EU customers as well as others across the globe.
    I had a little back and forth with someone affiliated with WL on twitter who was quite vociferously defending them, blaming Brexit and the USPS! He never responded to my comment about the order minimum.

  13. #63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    I had a little back and forth with someone affiliated with WL on twitter who was quite vociferously defending them, blaming Brexit and the USPS! He never responded to my comment about the order minimum.
    Not to belabor the side topic, but if I read some of the Facebook comments correctly they (meaning Warlords) haven't yet figured out how they're going to apply new Value Added Taxes once those have been calculated post Brexit!? I'm afraid it's only going to get worse. As Rob has mentioned elsewhere we can be glad that 3D printing is coming into its own with all the worldwide issues impacting us these days.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

  14. #64
    Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    WA
    Log Entries
    3,741
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Not to belabor the side topic, but if I read some of the Facebook comments correctly they (meaning Warlords) haven't yet figured out how they're going to apply new Value Added Taxes once those have been calculated post Brexit!? I'm afraid it's only going to get worse. As Rob has mentioned elsewhere we can be glad that 3D printing is coming into its own with all the worldwide issues impacting us these days.
    Frankly, my suspicion is that once the technology matures to give finer resolutions, traditional miniatures manufacturing will be on borrowed time. The craftsmen will just print their own and the prepaint-preassembled market will contract to those demanding higher fidelity at premium prices, just as we're seeing with the slow death of traditional scale modeling and model railroading.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

  15. #65
    Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Log Entries
    3,083
    Name
    David

    Default

    I've made a load of 3D models of 1/300 and 1/600 WW2 costal forces craft which I was putting up for free on some of the Facebook naval groups. I've stoped doing that now as one of my friends said things like that were likely to put him out of business.

    Model railways I think are a bit harder to manage in 3D modelling, at least as far as locomotives are concerned. But I have seen some lovely 3D printed carriage, wagon and loco bodies so I agree it is a matter of time.

  16. #66
    Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    WA
    Log Entries
    3,741
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    I've made a load of 3D models of 1/300 and 1/600 WW2 costal forces craft which I was putting up for free on some of the Facebook naval groups. I've stoped doing that now as one of my friends said things like that were likely to put him out of business.

    Model railways I think are a bit harder to manage in 3D modelling, at least as far as locomotives are concerned. But I have seen some lovely 3D printed carriage, wagon and loco bodies so I agree it is a matter of time.
    Main barrier for modern American types is the chassis; EMD and GE each have standard "building block" components that stack onto different frames to build up different models. Even the old "Covered Wagons" of the '50s, the hard part is the cab and nose compound-curves, everything behind the cab door is basically a slab of sheet material. OTOH, a California company 3d-printed a fully functional Colt .45 out of Inconel a few years ago and they still haven't stressed it to breaking in test-fire yet, so... it's a matter of time, and realistic expectations about what can be done as a single piece vs what needs to be done as separately fabricated components with a human assembler.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

  17. #67
    Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Log Entries
    3,083
    Name
    David

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Oh, yes, the Warlords shipping policy is causing quite a stir on Facebook. More than one person has said they're done with Warlords. And it's not just US customers as this issue is impacting EU customers as well as others across the globe.
    I guess things will get even more exciting when the EU brings in the same rules in the Summer :/

  18. #68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Oh very nice. I don't mine a price increase per se but I rarely make a large enough order to even qualify. Germans for Infamy Infamy are in the painting que for me. At the latest Virtual Lard last weekend someone ran a Lord of the Rings version of Infamy!
    Eric --I'm just getting started on painting for Infamy, Infamy, but on the Lard front I am pretty far along for Sharp Practice forces for French & Indian War and American Civil War -- here are some pics:

    Name:  F & I 3.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  222.0 KB

    Name:  F & I.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  185.5 KB

    Name:  F & I 2.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  225.1 KB

    Name:  Sharp Practice 5.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  213.0 KB

    Name:  ACW 3.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  193.4 KB

    Name:  ACW 1.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  173.8 KB

    Perhaps if Historicon ever happens again, we could meet up there for some Lard action....
    Bill

  19. #69
    1st Lieutenant
    United States

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Log Entries
    1,134
    Name
    Eric

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
    Eric --I'm just getting started on painting for Infamy, Infamy, but on the Lard front I am pretty far along for Sharp Practice forces for French & Indian War and American Civil War -- here are some pics:


    Perhaps if Historicon ever happens again, we could meet up there for some Lard action....
    Bill
    Very nice! Love those grenadiers! Yes indeed let's keep our fingers crossed for November! It will be in Valley Forge which should make it a bit of a shorter drive from NY!

  20. #70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Very nice! Love those grenadiers! Yes indeed let's keep our fingers crossed for November! It will be in Valley Forge which should make it a bit of a shorter drive from NY!
    I've got my room lined up already for November -- it has been quite some time since I have been to Valley Forge. Playing my first game of Sharp Practice on April 16 -- French & Indian War.

  21. #71
    Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Notts
    Log Entries
    18,226
    Blog Entries
    22
    Name
    Rob

    Default

    I am impressed by your F&IW troops Bill. Also their armoured support vehicle to the rear.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

  22. #72
    1st Lieutenant
    United States

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Log Entries
    1,134
    Name
    Eric

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
    I've got my room lined up already for November -- it has been quite some time since I have been to Valley Forge. Playing my first game of Sharp Practice on April 16 -- French & Indian War.
    It is about a 45 minute drive for me depending on traffic so I can forego the room. Maybe we can meet up at the show. I am debating whether to run a Coastal Patrol game or Kiss Me Hardy (using SoG ships) or maybe both. Sharp Practice is a great game. So is Chain of Command (noticing your armor there).

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •