Thread: What's on your workbench for September.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default What's on your workbench for September.

For me part two of my Island fortress.

Name:  IMG_8165.jpg
Views: 1646
Size:  116.2 KB

Today shaping the foam and adding the hills.
    I just routed the ditch around the small fort.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

The complete island...

...and Chris will miss it at Doncaster.

Rob, any chance we‘ll see that masterpiece in progress in Prague 2020?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today with no distractions progress has been swift.

Name:  IMG_8179.jpg
Views: 1583
Size:  156.1 KB

From this to this.

Name:  IMG_8180.jpg
Views: 1412
Size:  187.1 KB
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here you can see today's progress.

Name:  IMG_8182.jpg
Views: 1514
Size:  221.1 KB

Final shading and dry brushing completed.
    Two coats of matte varnish applied.
    Then the water effect resin poured into the water defences.
    Now a 24 hour wait to see the result.

Name:  IMG_8183.jpg
Views: 1484
Size:  187.2 KB

Meantime the island shoreline has been completed roads painted in and the main fort glued down,

Rob.

I love it! Very good work Rob

How have you done the effect of water in the moat?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It is a special water effect that Railway Modelers use Julián. a clear resin that you just pour and it sets in about 24 hours.
    I also have some which goes off quicker and is good for waterfalls, waves and rapids. Mind you it is expensive. A small bottle costs over £11.

Rob.

Ok, very interesting. I will ask in my modeling shop.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Julián.

To help you identify the product, it is called Realistic Water and is marketed by Woodland Scenics:-

Po Box 98 Linn Creek, MO 65052.

www.woodlandscenics.com

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

More or less got the Island completed today. Just got to give it a final varnish coat overall tomorrow.

Name:  IMG_8184.jpg
Views: 1470
Size:  196.5 KB

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is the main Island as it will look for the battle.

Name:  IMG_8186.jpg
Views: 1310
Size:  138.3 KB

Name:  IMG_8187.jpg
Views: 1378
Size:  140.0 KB

Next a few ancillary bits and bobs.
    Rob.

Rob, looks so realistic. Is a great piece of modeling, I am sure that wherever you use the island, it will be a magnificent battle.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Julián.
    I am sure that whenever I use it I will get a lot of enjoyment out of it. It is a great feeling when the Maestro of modeling says it is looking realistic.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today I started my ancillary works off the coast.
    can you guess what it is yet?

Name:  IMG_8188.jpg
Views: 1126
Size:  203.6 KB

Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Here is the main Island as it will look for the battle.

Name:  IMG_8186.jpg
Views: 1310
Size:  138.3 KB

Name:  IMG_8187.jpg
Views: 1378
Size:  140.0 KB

Next a few ancillary bits and bobs.
    Rob.
    Amazing! How did you get the stone masonry look on the star fort?

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Gorgeous!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Have you heard of Tartan paint Jason?
    Well this is like it but when you spray it on you get a stone texture!

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

That is extremely cool, Rob! I'd say your best yet! At first, I thought it was a brochure for the real place.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 09-09-2019 at 19:22.

Today I started my ancillary works off the coast.
    can you guess what it is yet?

Rob.
    Yes I can.

Napoleon started the work on this fort 1801, but stopped 1809 due to difficulties with the underground...

Didn't know that.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You win the prize Sven.
    Hopefully later today I can show you the finished article.
    First we have to visit Sheffield Apple computer shop to rescue Jim's Laptop which had a terminal battery expanding Universe situation last week. Fortunately it was still in warranty, They have just about rebuilt the whole thing in four days. Fetching it back for him is one way we can repay our in house technician for all the work he does on our computers.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    That is extremely cool, Rob! I'd say your best yet! At first, I thought it was a brochure for the real place.
    Thanks Dobbs. Now that remark has really embarrassed me. I have been using pictures from the advertising for holidays on the island to help me get the thing right.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well here is the final finished part for the Basque Roads.
    Now all I need to get done is the Ships base cards.

Name:  IMG_8189.jpg
Views: 1542
Size:  141.0 KB

Name:  IMG_8190.jpg
Views: 1468
Size:  120.8 KB

Rob.

Pretty!

Impressive result, Rob!

I read your historical battle report about the Basque Road with great interest.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Sven.
    I am about to start putting in the biographies of the French ships.
    I am aiming to get it completed by the end of next week so as to inform the players of the history behind the game we will be doing at Doncaster.
    Rob.

Ok.

The French admiral‘s story is interesting. He wasn‘t such a nice guy, but had a few successful operations.

Wow - great work Rob. Can't wait to see the game in progress!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    Ok.

The French admiral‘s story is interesting. He wasn‘t such a nice guy, but had a few successful operations.
    I just wish that there was more info on some of the French. Even translations that I do from the French are often lacking in detail unlike the English. It is the same with the ship biographies I am finding.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Hmmm... I'll have to investigate this tartan paint.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This is the Stone spray Jason. I got it from Hobbycraft.

Name:  IMG_8191.jpg
Views: 1304
Size:  153.5 KB

Unfortunately they did not have the Tartan paint in stock, nor the one for Scottish soldiers' diced socks.

Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

This is quite a masterpiece Rob, lots of really good things about it. I particularly like the star fort, I know its not the bigest or maybe the best bit but its a clasicic item of its time. The stone paint looks good, Ive looked all over for the Tartan spray paint but it seems elusive

You appear to have changed your game mat, this one looks really good, so all in all, - brilliant.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My old game mat was larger than the table and used to hang over each edge. With the new set up that is no longer possible so I invested in a new mat rather than cut the old one down because it is most useful at shows when we do larger scale actions.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My dear Comte de Brueys,
    May I thank you with all my heart for the wonderful gift which you sent me.
    It arrived by Carrier's cart this morning.
    It will now take pride of place next to the Port decanter in my Great cabin.

Your most humble and obdt servant.

Wm. Bligh.

Name:  IMG_8192.jpg
Views: 1333
Size:  139.6 KB

Saw this one and thought this would be a nice gift.

I‘m glad you like it.

Make shure that it‘s always filled with cookies in case Tim shows up...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

What with this and the Picture and medal sent by Paul a couple of years ago I'm starting to feel like an Hermione memorabilia collector.
    Rob.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Impressive build, Rob! Do you want me to take a run at another "Historical ORBAT And Modeling It" companion thread? Might need a little time to pull my reference files back up from the archival drives, but shouldn't take too long.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Certainly DB.
    That would be excellent.

Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Nothing naval at the moment, unfortunately. Trying to put together enough late 15th century guys for two people to do a bit of skirmishing with Osprey's Lion Rampant rules. My painting is definitely improving. Not great, but improving.

Name:  IMG_1045.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  185.8 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As an ex member of the Gloucester Household it looks great to me Jason.

Rob.

Looks good Jason. I have a pile of the Warlord WoTR boxes someday I will get to the project. Lion Rampant is a fun set of rules too. Those figures are perfect for the "dip" or wash method of painting. I do notice that you have slipped in a somewhat later period Landsknecht in there.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

A nice bit of painting Jason, I imagine you have a few more to do to create the numbers required.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

I have 57 done so far, but still plenty to go. I've also been using a lot more wash, especially on faces and gambesons. With washes and highlights, I've gotten some nice effects on surcoats as well.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    I do notice that you have slipped in a somewhat later period Landsknecht in there.
    Anachronism, what anachronism!?!

Technically, if you take away Richard III's banner, you could use the same figures for the first two or three decades of the 16th century, but yeah. Wargames Illustrated came with a sprue, and I just couldn't pass them up, especially with the zweihänders--probably my favorite historical weapons.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Certainly DB.
    That would be excellent.

Rob.
    OrBat's up to start discussion and spitballing ways to fill in the blanks.

Not Sails, but I almost have the girlfriend's C8 finished--it was a real bugger getting the Umbrella Corporation logos color-filled. Still not perfect, but she thinks it adds to the "Resident Evil" effect, now just a matter of the accessories and waiting for my pro neighbor to get back to me about greening the furniture--then as soon as that's done, to split the two halves and join them with other proven components for testing. As I say, the things we do for the ones we intend to grow old with...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Certainly looks the part DB.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Thanks, Rob--Umbrella only does one run of receivers a year and always sells out within a week, and this was the third try to get one for her. Attentive sorts will probably note that it's off-safe--there's no way to put the safety on an AR without cocking the hammer first, and as a standard safety practice I generally keep the bolt assemblies removed from my irons until it's time for them to go to work.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That sure is a bummer DB.
    Makes Aries supply system look almost reasonable.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

On the upside, it lets us put the Gucci-Gun Snobs in their place by being members of an even more exclusive club... :D
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB