Thread: Looking for References, Suggestions, and/or Tips with Langton K4 Large Gunboat

Landsman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Craig

Default Looking for References, Suggestions, and/or Tips with Langton K4 Large Gunboat

Hi all,

Just like it says on the tin, I'm hoping someone can help me out with this model. This is my first foray into ship modeling of any kind, and I bought this kit and a ship sloop figuring that starting small would be a good idea. I'm fairly certain of where I'm at with the sloop, since there are guides upon guides for ship-rigged... ships. But this little two-masted gunboat has got me stumped. Has anyone got any drawings of what it's meant to be representing? Or, failing that, photos from someone who has built it before, or even a good verbal description? I'm not sure if it's meant to have a mainmast and a foremast, or a main and a mizzen. The sails are also puzzling me - there's a larger one that I assume is meant to go on the mainmast, but the other is very much non-symmetrical, which suggests to me that it's meant to be fore-and-aft, but I don't know where. Any help at all is appreciated.

Thanks,

MortuusSum

Name:  IMG_20190727_085854.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  136.8 KB

CORRECTION: the reference code for the Large Gunboat is K5, not K4.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Firstly welcome to the Anchorage Craig.
    I hope you got my welcome message, with information on how to navigate the site.
    Please do not forget to make your number in the Welcome Aboard forum.
    I'm sure one of our knowledgeable shipmates will be along soon to help you out with your conundrum.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Landsman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Craig

Hi Rob,

I did get your message, but I'm afraid you're on the money - I completely forgot to introduce myself. I'll go do that now! I hope I haven't put my request for advice in the wrong subforum, by the by?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

No problems Craig. Your in the best place for advice here in the Chippy shop. I only wish I could have helped you, but that particular boat is one Langton of which I have no build experience whatsoever.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Found this on the miniatures page, may help your build

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=331423

Landsman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Craig

Thanks very much, sir! My google skills are weak, it would seem.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

My bet is main and mizzen and both lug rigged, like the first picture on the miniaturespage, but with the big mast first.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good resources gentlemen. Thanks for helping out with your input.

Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

I'm waiting for the exact same gunboats in the mail!

Ordinary Seaman
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

I also have these models and tried to understand how to put them together and I gave up. After much searching I'm tempted to configure the sails according to this: https://www.stefanoni-modellismo.it/...roller=product

Like the Langton Langton K5 model, this example has one of the masts in the stern instead in the bow. Most of the other pictures of gunboats had a mast in the bow.

However the Langton model has the mast at the very back and the example in the image above is not quite so far back, so I'm not sure...

Of course, one could modify the model according to any of the appropriate examples found by searching for images of "18th century gunboat"...

Ordinary Seaman
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

Here's another example with a mast at the stern, though it's a very small mast: https://www.alamy.com/gunboat-under-...180943947.html

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The thing I would do is now that you have all this research to back you up go with your best guess. Publish your pictures here, then wait and see if some clever clogs comes along and says you are wrong. Then ask them to prove it with photographic evidence and you will get all the rest of the research done for you! That will give you scope for your next builds.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Hello Mortuus
    I have the same model , I dont know if this is correct but this is how I glued it

Name:  F54C3DAF-5672-400D-991D-BD22D9D611F1.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  218.2 KB

Name:  E3471294-8D0C-4175-9E08-EB96DBC26F8D.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  198.9 KB

Name:  5BEC574E-51C4-44EE-995F-59E927D0B47D.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  191.0 KB

And compared to my HMS Britannia

Name:  29C54151-DEAA-426F-B56F-7B59EBB6E023.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  202.4 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for adding your pictures as a helping hand to Craig, Ferrante.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

I got in touch with Carol Langton. She said that pictures no. 6-8 of the link to J Whites gallery that David posted were correct. J White has modified the model adding a boom to the mizzen mast. I see that Ferrante's model is also built correctly using the pieces that come with the model.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thank you for your research Andrew. That just about closes the deal.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Quote Originally Posted by Fabbe View Post
    I got in touch with Carol Langton. She said that pictures no. 6-8 of the link to J Whites gallery that David posted were correct. J White has modified the model adding a boom to the mizzen mast. I see that Ferrante's model is also built correctly using the pieces that come with the model.
    Very nice info Fabbe , Many thanks . Now I am sure that I was right with my mode