Thread: Any news on new releases?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Default Any news on new releases?

The last I heard, we were supposed to be getting some new ships this year, but aside from the date getting pushed back due to other releases, I haven't heard anything more. Any ideas what we might get and when?

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I am afraid Jason, I have not heard anything about a further release of ships, except there will be one, but I know nothing on what or when

Yes - no news on the horizont.

Some special packs or duel packs would be cool to push the game a little bit.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    Some special packs or duel packs would be cool to push the game a little bit.
    Duel packs would be great. I'd love to see what they'd come up with.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

While I do agree a Duel pack would be good and we could get a few different selections, unfortunately I dont think they would be commercially viable due to the number of components needed, unless they are sold as expansion sets, ie in addition to you haveing a base set.
    We couldnt have them as stand alone starter/ introductionary sets like Wings

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

There is also the problem of being able to produce a hull design which is comparable with several ships of the same class. Matching these up in double packs may prove very hard to balance out when trying to get sufficient differences to get players buying what is essentially the same pair of ships several times over.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    While I do agree a Duel pack would be good and we could get a few different selections, unfortunately I dont think they would be commercially viable due to the number of components needed, unless they are sold as expansion sets, ie in addition to you haveing a base set.
    We couldnt have them as stand alone starter/ introductionary sets like Wings
    I assumed they would be expansions (I haven't played WoG, so I only generally know how things work).

Also, good points Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by jasonb View Post
    I assumed they would be expansions (I haven't played WoG, so I only generally know how things work).

Also, good points Rob.
    Fair enough Jason, with wings WW1 there was what was called a duel set, in this you got 2 aircraft, painted , bases for each , manoeuvre deck for each and flight pegs. Plus there were a small number of counters, wound, gun jam and such and a A damage deck of cards with a mini rule book, so you could play a small two plane game straight out of the box. So it was a mini standalone game but was fully compatable with the main sream game and aircraft.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

We've proposed any number of "quick and cheap, just to keep SOMETHING new coming" options and Ares has declined action. Andrea tells me the game is still in active development, but nobody's told me anything beyond that... I've even offered to try to strip the rules down into a Duel Pack "Quick Play Rules" Booklet and can't get a simple Word doc for editing to try that.

I mean, even something so quick and cheap as "additional logs and cards" that might light up purchases of deadstock ships was greeted with Radio Silence... though privately, looking at it in a "Not For Ares, Personal Eyes Only" context Andrea liked my idea for a storage cabinet.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thank you once again DB for your efforts on our behalf as spokesperson to Ares. As you may have read Chris, Captain Duff had a meaningful contact with Ares at Games Expo, and ran a few games for them so hopefully some feedback may be possible there. At the moment we are just soldiering on with conversions or OPs manufactures.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

So, to try to plan another Wave 4-style "tiger team" jumpshot, what all are the key battles after Nile and Trafalgar we need to look to build around? I'll admit I've kinda made the Indian Ocean Campaign my personal hobbyhorse, but that's largely because it's the only case I've seen where the same commanders and ships met in a series of battles. I'm even willing to push a little past Napoleon into the Third Barbary War...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

I'm personally interested in the Battles of Lake Erie and Plattsburgh, but the broader War of 1812 might be interesting with privateers and the blockades of the Chesapeake Bay and Long Island Sound too.
    Last edited by jasonb; 07-24-2019 at 22:37.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

The naval arms race on Lake Ontario is interesting. As an aside, the folks commissioned to build the two 74's at the war's end were also building Fulton's steam warship Demologos.

Name:  20190725_061330.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  168.4 KB
    Last edited by Dobbs; 07-25-2019 at 04:13.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Obviously with my overweening interest in the HEIC and all things Eastern the Indian Ocean would suit me just dandy DB.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Have you had her in action yet Dobbs?
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Not yet. I've temporarily stalled out on steamer rules. I have a great scenario planned though. Demologos vs. a British 74 becalmed behind Sandy Hook, just south of New York harbor. Of course, I need to finalize my "springing at anchor" rules for this too.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I've had some interesting chats via email with Andrea and Roberto, which have involved a wave of merchants / armed auxiliaries, another set of "special" packs and a new development that I can't talk about. There has also, I believe, been talk of 3D terrain features. Alas the discussions I have been involved in have been characterised by great enthusiasm, lots of good ideas discussed, plans made...... and then quiet.

Ares' miniatures games are clearly a lower priority to their board games which are their money spinner. And in the line of miniatures priority Sails is last in line (when "wings" is struggling to get new releases or even reprints out the door.......)

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

That is what I was afraid of, David.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It certainly has been rather quiet for some time now.
    I know we want to develop our Navies but even keeping the starter sets and a few more backup ships on the shelves would help keep the game alive.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Unfortunately, things have gone quiet also with Ares uk rep, Ill give him a bell to see if I can glean info on stocks from him.
    At the games expo Ares stand had over a dozen sails starter sets and all bar 1 sold.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just the sort of information that Ares need to gee them up a bit I would have thought. More starter sets ASAP.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    I've had some interesting chats via email with Andrea and Roberto, which have involved a wave of merchants / armed auxiliaries, another set of "special" packs and a new development that I can't talk about. There has also, I believe, been talk of 3D terrain features. Alas the discussions I have been involved in have been characterised by great enthusiasm, lots of good ideas discussed, plans made...... and then quiet.

Ares' miniatures games are clearly a lower priority to their board games which are their money spinner. And in the line of miniatures priority Sails is last in line (when "wings" is struggling to get new releases or even reprints out the door.......)
    Thanks for sharing, David. It's nice to know both that they do have some things in the pipe :) and how much value to them I have :( .
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Just dropping in to share some information I got at the Ares booth while attending Gen Con in Indianapolis, IN. I never saw Roberto once so i expect he was off in meetings with other gaming business gurus, but I did inquire of the person who appeared to in charge of their vendor booth as to the status of any Sails of Glory content updates. For what it's worth this individual said that there are no immediate plans for a Wave 4 of SoG. All that's currently under discussion is reprints of SoG components.

While there were Sails of Glory items for sale, including ships, chit bags, etc., I don't recall seeing any playing mats or boxed sets put out for purchase. Their upcoming product case had items for Wings of Glory (WW1 and WW2), Battlestar Galactica and some of their other board game items. Also Sails of Glory was not being demoed in the booth. Only Battlestar Galactica, Wings of Glory, Tripods and Triplanes and a couple of other games I did not recognize had active demonstrations going on throughout the days.

Finally there were a number of events for Sails of Glory and Wings of Glory, but the only one I was able to enter was their annual "Wings of Glory Megagame: Battle of St. Mihiel Salient". I'm guessing there were about 50 to 60 players involved with Allies outnumbering the Central Powers.

Cheers.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

It's such a fun gaming system. I'm really disappointed it's being left behind like this.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

No new boxes, or at least RAP's = no new customers = no game growth = game stagnation. Look at how many people have sold off their collections, or offered them for sale, in the past year, and some of those were some pretty serious Fleet Builders...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Still the old salts like us keep going gentlemen.
    One has to travel in hope.
    Also it is good to hear from you Jim.
    Thanks for the update.
    Rob.