Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default "The Royal Navy 1793-1815."

Just ordered this one from Amazon. It looks as if it has all those bits and pieces of information which we need to look up from time to time when compiling our AAR's.
    If you wish for a preiview of what I mean have a look here:-

http://the-eye.eu/public/WorldTracke...01793-1815.pdf

Name:  51Q1rMhuyhL._SX371_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  36.1 KB

Rob
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Nice, I might need to consider that myself. Was this thread supposed to be named something else?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Also, did you mean to post the entire thing as a pdf?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That is how it was presented to me by the site Jason.
    As for c, I have no idea. When I titled the new thread it said "The Royal Navy 1793-1815." Thanks for spotting it.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Book arrived today, and is all the things I envisaged from glancing at the pdf. A veritable goldmine of information.
    Rob.

Brian Lavery's "Nelson's Navy: The Ships, Men and Organization 1793-1815" is also fairly exhaustive on this topic, abet much more expensive than an Osprey book!

https://www.amazon.com/Nelsons-Navy-...gateway&sr=8-2

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Bit of a sore point there Eric.
    When my dad died in 1988 he had a lot of Naval books among which was that one.
    I had no interest in Napoleonic sea warfare nor room on my bookshelves at that time so gave them all away to war-gaming friends who did Naval. I have now had to buy back many of those books at today's prices.
    Still good of you to bring it to my attention. After all Christmas is only six months away so who knows?
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Soyou recommend this purchase Rob?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Certainly would Chris, and I'm only part way through it.
    Rob

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Thanks, will take look, looking for as much info as can get on the Niger class 32 gun frigates to compare against Amazon class

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Bit of a sore point there Eric.
    When my dad died in 1988 he had a lot of Naval books among which was that one.
    I had no interest in Napoleonic sea warfare nor room on my bookshelves at that time so gave them all away to war-gaming friends who did Naval. I have now had to buy back many of those books at today's prices.
    Still good of you to bring it to my attention. After all Christmas is only six months away so who knows?
    Rob.
    Ouch. That really sucks.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Only hurts when I scratch it after all this time Jason. but yes basically you are right.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Received my copy today, looking at the orbats and looking for one o try

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Received my copy today, looking at the orbats and looking for one o try
    I would love you to do a write up of any of these battles in the Historical forum Chris.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I would love you to do a write up of any of these battles in the Historical forum Chris.
    Rob.
    Is that as a game aar or a precise on the actual battle ?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Either or both if you feel so inclined Chris.
    We are a bit short of material at the moment.
    Must be the summer doldrums.
    Rob.