Thread: Nautical Programmes next week.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Default Nautical Programmes next week.

On Sunday 26th May BBC4 (Freeview channel 9) will be showing a programme called 'The Mayflower Pilgrims: Behind the Myth' at 9.00 p.m..

On Thursday 30th May Channel 5 T.V. will be showing a programme entitled 'Hitler's U-Boat: Draining the Ocean' at 9.00 p.m..

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for the Heads up as usual Dave.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

On Saturday 8th June Channel 4 is repeating the programme 'Titanic:The New Evidence' - a documentary looking at recently recovered photographs of the sunken liner.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for the Heads up again Dave.
    You certainly can find them.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Titanic programme was quite interesting.

If I remember it correctly, the new evidence is that the Titanic had a fire burning in a coal storage bunker near the bow, which had started even before she left on her maiden voyage. The fire burned so hot that it damaged the steel bulkhead, which was a wall of the bunker. Also the coal in two other bunkers caught fire. The only way to put the fires out was to shovel all the coal from the bunkers into the furnaces, which meant that the ship had to keep running at full speed to use up the energy but the ship was short of coal because of a miners' strike, so it could not afford to divert course to the South without risking running out of fuel.

When the ship hit the iceberg, the compartment next to the damaged bulkhead was flooded. If the bulkhead had not been damaged by the fire it would have been able to hold longer. Experts have calculated that it would have held until the rescue ship arrived. However, in its damaged state it gave way and the ship went down at the bow and sank. The judge at the inquiry suppressed the evidence from surviving stokers about the fire.

The programme is still available on 'catch up' at https://www.channel4.com/programmes/...e-new-evidence

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sounds very interesting Dave. As I was so busy I forgot all about it, so will try and find time to catch it later.
    Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

On Saturday 22nd June Channel 5 is showing a programme at 7.05 p.m. about James Cameron's search for Atlantis entitled 'Atlantis: Hunt for the Lost Civilisation' and a programme at 9.00 p.m. entitled 'World's Biggest Battleship: Draining the Ocean'. Apparently it is not about the Yamato but about a ship lost off the coast of China 700 years ago.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sounds like something to watch.
    Thanks Dave.
    Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

My apologies about the Drain he Ocean programme. It was about the Yamato, the storm which destroyed Kublai Khan's invasion fleet of Japan and how a modern day storm caused underwater landslides which destroyed underwater communication cables in the Pacific and crippled part of the internet for a while.